Italeri Mirage IIICZ SAAF, FINISHED!!

ericg

Some more work on the panel.

I rounded an end of some plastic rod to make a Bezu ball.

IMG_7904_zpsxdfcokif.jpg

Here is the almost completed panel. Thanks to all who have contributed so far. It seems like I have opened up a can of worms as far as configurations and positioning of instruments, but at this stage I think everything looks OK. I am keen to not go overboard with the detail as I think it will be good for it to match the rest of the kit cockpit, almost like a part that Italeri have done themselves. I am pretty sure there will be a ton of aftermarket that will become available for this model in the near future, so this part will be a quick fix. I cant wait to get this into a coat of primer and cast a copy of it. Everything looks better in resin!

IMG_7906_zpsqjrfmqar.jpg

FYI, both the Revell and Italeri instrument panels were of RAAF Mirage IIIC layout. The SAAF panel had some small differences. The below given photo shows the IP of the ZU-DME, which was an ex-SAAF Mirage IIICZ currently operated by the museum.

IMG_1277a.jpg

Thanks for the input Batura.

Are you able to clarify what you mean by RAAF Mirage IIIC? The RAAF only operated IIIO's.

Also, does `currently operated' mean a modernised instrument panel? it seems like there is alot of stuff present on the photo that you have posted that is not in photos of other IIIC panels.

Thanks,

Eric.

Yay!  Great to see you building one of these brand new Mirages. Will probably help me decide if I buy one or not.  Looks like you've made a great start, and are adding your typical extra mile detailing. 

Have you made any thought as to casting up some new bits for the Italeri kit, and selling those?

Matt  :frantic:

Thanks for the input Batura.

Are you able to clarify what you mean by RAAF Mirage IIIC? The RAAF only operated IIIO's.

Also, does `currently operated' mean a modernised instrument panel? it seems like there is alot of stuff present on the photo that you have posted that is not in photos of other IIIC panels.

Thanks,

Eric.

Hello Eric,

Sorry for the typo. It was supposed to be RAAF IIIE as the IIIO was very similar to the E.

Regarding the instrument panel of the museum Mirage, I also thought that it might have been a modified panel. However, it still has the BOMBS panel at the center and if it was a modified panel, I guessthis would be the first thing to be removed from the panel and some electronic stuff (GPS, map, etc) should have been added on it.

I loved your panel. Very nice work.

batur

Some more work.

I painted the nose gear bay with AK interactive Aluminium. IMHO it is the best aluminium paint that I have ever used. Much stronger than Alclad and it lays on very smooth. The only drawback is it has an extremely strong smell.

IMG_7908_zpsuh99lva3.jpg

Here is the fuselage glued together with the intakes. The intakes are a little complicated and tricky to get together but they end up being quite nice.

IMG_7915_zpschuegjwq.jpg

IMG_7916_zpsrxlj7tc8.jpg

The exhaust is a bit of a mixed bag. The corrugations are very well represented but the area immediately behind them closest to the exhaust petals lets the whole show down as will be seen.

IMG_7917_zpsqvwbxhjb.jpg

I have dry fitted the exhaust together and held it up to the light to illustrate how well the currugations have been done. So well in fact that there will be no filler required here.

IMG_7918_zpshhkhnopy.jpg

On the other hand, the area that I was talking about before will need some work to get up to scratch. If anyone has any good photos of this area it would be appreciated.

IMG_7922_zpsmlrsxuja.jpg

I have also dry fitted the cockpit together to ensure that the modifications that I have made to the panel will still fit into the stock tub. I have left the pull handle off so that I can confirm the type of ejection seat that was used in early 80's SAAF machines. I am finding it quite hard to come up with much info on the IIIC's from that country and ear and am seeking info from anyone in the know.

I have added the small yellow stripes on the stick grip (the shape of which is quite accurate BTW)from very thin strips of yellow decal. I am sure that our resident Ex-Mirage driver would love to give us a run down on why they were there!

IMG_7914_zps6b0motbs.jpg

IMG_7913_zpsaqwcnz58.jpg

Darn you guys, I was going to do mine OOTB, but now I feel obligated to fix the IP. 😉

Eric, when you used the AK interactive aluminum, did you use a primer first? I have some of that paint too, although I may try the new Vallejo metal colors first since I think they don't smell.