Review: Italeri 2505: 1/32 Mirage IIIC

LSP_Kevin

Looks good, the surface detail looks more crisp than the F-104. I'm sure the aftermarket will jump in for the engine, 'pit and wheel wells, etc for those looking for those upgrades. I'll be getting 3 or 4 of these bad boys.  :)

Not a jet guy and certainly not a French jet guy. But, after seeing one of the episodes of "Dogfights", that featured some of the Israeli actions, the thought of doing an "adversary" display is very appealing. I would love to have the Mirage along-side a Mig 17, 19, or 21. However, that means NMF and it looks as though surface prep required for that would be somewhat laborious on this kit. Still, it's nice to have the option out there for those willing to tackle it.

Thanks for the review!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I don't see the issue wth the U/C bays ,built straight from the box they appear busy , lots of detail. and on a par with what else is out there , I'm sure Aeries can do wonders, but I'm not convinced, The nose bay is excellent , and looks very convincing under a coat of alclad, with a Tamiya smoke and a some detailed painting 

The  pit really does need some work , I'll agree about that 

As for my first one , it'll be an IAF six Day war aircraft . I loves me some alclad!!!!

and if the gods of modeling agree, eventually I maght be able to trade in this clunker..

SAM_0102_zpscecc12ba.jpg

For something a little more state of the art!

Got an order for 2 just done... and 3 matterhorn circle atar9C exhausts!!

I am VERY attached to this specific airplane as this was the last fighter the Lebanese airforce flew under the designation Mirage III EL before we sold the whole batch in 2000 to the PAF and switched exclusively to rotary wing for the airforce... we still have a couple of armed cessna caravans for support but nothing to compare with this...   :crying:

Gone are those days...

Got firsthand access to people who used to work on those birds and fly them so that should be alot of help

This is what i will be doing sometime in the near future

m3l506.jpg

86_1.png

3el506.jpg

Thanks for the review Nicolas...didnt mean to hijack the thread

now for the reference material... what i already know is the 3EL was 300mm longer for avionics...lol

Karim

Edited by karimb

Got an order for 2 just done...

I am VERY attached to this specific airplane as this was the last fighter the Lebanese airforce flew under the designation Mirage III EL before we sold the whole batch in 2000 to the PAF and switched exclusively to rotary wing for the airforce... we still have a couple of armed cessna caravans for support but nothing to compare with this...   :crying:

Gone are those days...

Got firsthand access to people who used to work on those birds and fly them so that should be alot of help

This is what i will be doing sometime in the near future

m3l506.jpg

86_1.png

3el506.jpg

Thanks for the review Nicolas...didnt mean to hijack the thread

now for the reference material....

Karim

Great project, Karim, but it will take some work to convert a III C into a III E airframe ...

Hubert

Hubert we all the knowledge you guys have, plus the help i can get from the guys that used to work on the 3ELs i think we might pull it off. i think also the 3EL had export specific stuff too that i am going to have to pin down... at least i have a decent base to start from from the review i read, until the Kinetic one comes out as the 3E/O 

what do you think? can we find enough reference material to pull off that conversion? i need to try to find the 3 view plan charts for the 3C and the 3E to be able to measure and work out the mods, but i have not a single idea where to start with finding those

any help would greatly be appreciated if anyone can nudge me in the right direction for the 3C to 3E differences other than the different length

Karim

Again sorry i dont mean to hijack this thread

The E had a 30 cms plug behind the cockpit to house more avionics. A very visible difference is the position of the rear canopy hinge vs the intake lips : almost level on the E vs "sitting behind" on the C. The fin was different as well, and finally the rear fuselage was not as long, with a markedly different exhaust between the Atar 9 C of the E, and the clamshell type of the Atar 9 B of the C.

Without much thinking into it, I'd say the forward plug is doable, as is the fin, whereas the rear fuselage and Atar exhaust will require more work, especially reproducing the exhaust petals ...

I think if you compare some pics, the differences will be readily apparent.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers