Review: Italeri 2505: 1/32 Mirage IIIC

LSP_Kevin

The E had a 30 cms plug behind the cockpit to house more avionics. A very visible difference is the position of the rear canopy hinge vs the intake lips : almost level on the E vs "sitting behind" on the C. The fin was different as well, and finally the rear fuselage was not as long, with a markedly different exhaust between the Atar 9 C of the E, and the clamshell type of the Atar 9 B of the C.

Without much thinking into it, I'd say the forward plug is doable, as is the fin, whereas the rear fuselage and Atar exhaust will require more work, especially reproducing the exhaust petals ...

I think if you compare some pics, the differences will be readily apparent.

Hubert

Thanks my friend... ill have to find some exotic schemes for the 3C and wait for the Kinetic 3E then to finally do the EL version then....i think the plug is doable, as is the fin but i dont know about scratchbuilding the exhaust thats waaaaaay beyond my modeling skills

Karim

Aren't we confusing Mirage IIICs and IIIEs here?  The Lebanese example is a IIIE isn't it?  Longer forward fuselage and different aft fuselage/exhaust area.

Exactly what's been pointed out in the posts above yours, Jennings ;)

Hubert

Aren't we confusing Mirage IIICs and IIIEs here?  The Lebanese example is a IIIE isn't it?  Longer forward fuselage and different aft fuselage/exhaust area.

Jennings yes you are completely right 

The Lebanese mirages were 3E's actually 3ELs 

i said i was sorry about hijacking the thread lol...just had a discussion going on about what needed to be modified to get the 3c into my country's 3EL since i got two of the new italeris on the way and i have a 'special' spot for the last fighter my country flew before going all rotary...darn! 

Karim

Exactly what's been pointed out in the posts above yours, Jennings ;)

Hubert

Hubert, Hannants has got only 3 left in stock after i managed to nick the others to 'safekeep' in my stash. i updated my post after having jumped on those...their price is 'scary' to say the least but now i will have those in the stash and they sure look much better than an all resin am exhaust that is probably going to come out any time soon...

i will probably give you guys a headsup on those as soon as i get my hands on them when i go back home on the 18th of Nov as they will already have arrived i hope...

at least this will make the conversion from a 3C to a 3EL maybe a bit easier....im itching to make the Lebanese 3EL lol  :innocent:  :innocent:

So Kinetic has a IIIE coming, right?

Seems to be the rumour filtering out of the grapevine ... They have apparently done well enough with their 1/48 kit (which I have been told recently is not such a great-fitting kit, btw )

Hubert

Unlike the Mirage IIIE and V, I don't believe there were many users of the C with the original Atar 9B as it comes in the kit. I think it was pretty much limited to France, Israel, and South Africa. Regarding the Swiss markings in the kit, I think that's the only C they got and it was just used for testing.

Edited by Dave Williams

I think, looking at the inserts used int he production of the Italeri c that an E from them is coming , there's the upper fuselage insert, but there's another one used around the intakes, which , to my eye's points to the fact that the kit was tooled from the start to allow a C and E from essentially the same set of moulds, so Kinetic might be producing an E , but i'll put serious money that Italeri is certainly doing one 

From my reading , if the Intake cone is in line wih the seat its a C , intake cone in line with the end of the canopy its  an E I'm glad I've got a fuill run of World Air Power Journal from years gone by!

Why not getting the E specific areas from a Revell Mirage as I'm sure we will see more than one soon on ebay?

Definitely sounds like a plan...i should look into this...sounds like it might actually work in a sort of frankenstein way lol

Karim

I think, looking at the inserts used int he production of the Italeri c that an E from them is coming , there's the upper fuselage insert, but there's another one used around the intakes, which , to my eye's points to the fact that the kit was tooled from the start to allow a C and E from essentially the same set of moulds, so Kinetic might be producing an E , but i'll put serious money that Italeri is certainly doing one 

From my reading , if the Intake cone is in line wih the seat its a C , intake cone in line with the end of the canopy its  an E I'm glad I've got a fuill run of World Air Power Journal from years gone by!

I think that nobody has thought about the fact that Italeri and Kinetic has already used the same kit for their own boxings, for their F-86F. So we can assume that they both will be releasing a E boxing, from the same moulds.

I think that nobody has thought about the fact that Italeri and Kinetic has already used the same kit for their own boxings, for their F-86F. So we can assume that they both will be releasing a E boxing, from the same moulds.

Kinetic posted on one of the forums that the IIIE will be their own kit, just for them. I don't believe the two companies have collaborated on anything, besides Italeri boxing the Sabre, which may have been them purchasing the molds.

Matt  :frantic:

I did not mean they were working together on the E version, but just stated they could use the same moulds, as with the F-86F.

However, if you say that Kinetic talked about making their own kit, yes that would certainly mean that both kit will be different.

Things may always change, though. I know that these companies cannot be compared, but Redux has announced a whole new P-47D razorback kit, and ended with a reboxing of the Trumpeter kit with new decals and resin wheels.

I did not mean they were working together on the E version, but just stated they could use the same moulds, as with the F-86F.

However, if you say that Kinetic talked about making their own kit, yes that would certainly mean that both kit will be different.

Things may always change, though. I know that these companies cannot be compared, but Redux has announced a whole new P-47D razorback kit, and ended with a reboxing of the Trumpeter kit with new decals and resin wheels.

Indeed, and the weird part of the Redux story is that molds for their own P-47 kit existed as we even saw an assembled test-shot!