1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

On 8/9/2022 at 12:11 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

A little more-

this is the one-piece hot metal section on the belly that wraps around each fuselage corner. A tricky one-

59D4B4U.jpg

All of this yet to be weathered-

cheers

Pete

Well I can understand why you want to make it in this scale its like making a real one a tad smaller. In 32nd half of this stuff is not feasible but seeing this is twice as big it becomes mandatory to include it all. I'm loving this so far mate looks awesome! and the little imperfections if you can call them that are what makes it even more real as the real deal isn't perfect either seeing they are been flown the snot out of them since a couple of decades ago they tend to be quite interesting in regards to rivet spacing etc etc. the fact they are gloss painted most of the times makes that stand out even more.. Carry on my friend Im quite looking forward to the next update.

Cheers

Frederick Jacobs

9 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Was wondering where these airplanes live these days?  Saw the blue jets many years ago at Holloman along with a handful of unpainted NMF T-38s flying sorties with the F-15s there.  White jets down in Texas and black Talons at Langley but haven’t seen the blue camo in a while.

The AT-38’s are still around..but they aren’t blue anymore. Holloman LIFT is long gone..anywhere there are 38’s supporting the F-22’s I think you might find some AT-38’s in the mix, but I’m just guessing-

3 hours ago, stusbke said:

Well I can understand why you want to make it in this scale its like making a real one a tad smaller. In 32nd half of this stuff is not feasible but seeing this is twice as big it becomes mandatory to include it all. I'm loving this so far mate looks awesome! and the little imperfections if you can call them that are what makes it even more real as the real deal isn't perfect either seeing they are been flown the snot out of them since a couple of decades ago they tend to be quite interesting in regards to rivet spacing etc etc. the fact they are gloss painted most of the times makes that stand out even more.. Carry on my friend Im quite looking forward to the next update.

Cheers

Frederick Jacobs

Thanks Frederick,

I agree..and I don’t worry too much about the “imperfections”. As you mentioned, these jets are pretty well used. Wrinkled skin and dents are the norm.

cheers

P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

IMG-8531.jpg
IMG-8532.jpg

here is some CAD of the mini gun that Timmy! Created for the big Smurf! Looking forward to working on the big girl soon!

IMG-8534.jpg

Above is the frame and plexiglass that separates the forward and aft cockpits- hot off of Timmy’s printer. Super cool!

lots of good stuff coming- watch this space-

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

• 1 month later...

Proof of life-

Thanks to Timmy!’s brilliant work, I have a newer, betterer front fuselage that is perfect in shape, profile and cross section. Took some courage to saw off the old front end !

IMG-8752.jpg

cockpits from previous forward fuselage separated relatively cleanly 

IMG-8748.jpg

cheers

P

• 3 weeks later...

I was really in the mood to shoot some paint today.

Here is the SUU-20 munitions dispenser and pylon for the centerline. This print is gorgeous.

just a bit of cleanup and then shot with Mr. Surfacer 1500 black. This whole assembly gets shot gloss air superiority blue-

IMG-8850.jpg

IMG-8851.jpg

IMG-8852.jpg

six BDU-33 practice bombs get mounted in here-

cheers

Pete