News on Friday usually sucks

There are a number of Brits on this site and, although I don’t know any of you from Adam’s house cat, I tend to like you all.  Along with everyone else, I read today that the Princess of Wales is in peril.  No matter what you may think of the monarchy, this most lovely and  elegant young woman is, to me, the absolute picture of England and the UK.  If someone were to ask me to personify England, I would not point to Big Ben or the London Bridge, I would point to Kate Middleton because she reminds of every young English rose I ever met as a much younger man.  I hope all goes well; if I knew how to send good vibes, I would.  To my mind, she is as close to the peerless Queen Elizabeth as you all are likely find.  And that says a lot because Elizabeth is a hard act to follow.

I am in the U.S. and have frankly been disgusted that the media won't give her and her family some privacy.  As she is neither the king nor the queen and has no official government duties and until such thing should come about, I have felt very much that the whole coverage is just awful.  I do wish her and her family the best.

Recent babble about Kate's 'doctored' family photograph and infantile twaddle following a videoed 'sighting' of Kate in Windsor shrink to uncomfortable silence after the Princess of Wales spoke of her ailment. Not many cancer patients have done that. I hope Kate's moving piece to camera reminds us of what dignified adult conduct looks like, sounds like and feels like. 

I was appalled at the media and speculation about her.  It seemed they lacked the most basic insight into the fact that the media had such a large part to play in the death of that man's mother.  Yet decades later, here they are again.

Met the Queen and Prince Philip briefly when I was young. Not much into the Royals, any of the drama but always admired Queen Elizabeth and her devotion to duty.  I can't recall many statesmen/women in the world in the last 70yrs who so consistently did a good job for their country. 

A young mum with kids and cancer.  I hope she gets better and left the hell alone to heal.

Matty

I wish the Princess of Wales a speedy recovery, and she and her family the very best.  

She is a ray of sunshine and dignity in this often spiteful and troubled world. A real treasure.

As others have said, cancer has cruelly touched all of our lives directly or indirectly. It's good that treatments have become more refined and targeted, prolonging life quantitatively and qualitatively.

Tony 

When I last turned on the news I saw the most appalling scenes from Palestine with suffering of children and Ukrainian cities also being destroyed. And thought why the hell dosent the world get better? It’s 2024! 
At least medical advances are progressing- maybe this is a positive story here. 

Edited by Pup7309

Yes, cancer sucks.  Very much. My wife was diagnosed with glandular breast cancer last week. We’re going through all the appointment visits with her surgeon, plastics, 2nd opinions on plastics, etc.  All the markers are in place, Stage 2.  She’s going to be on hormone blockers for the rest of her life since this form of cancer is hormone driven. 
I honestly believe she’s fearing this more than the cancer.  Thankfully all of our children are grown unlike the Princess that still has small children to try and get an understanding on what is going on with Mum.