Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........March 2024. All done

geedubelyer

Wow, commiseration nation  ;) . I've been a type 1 diabetic for 57 years. I've had lense replacements

in both eyes. I do OK with 3.5 reading glasses. Gotta have a headlight as good lighting is a must even

with glasses.

I have what I condsider to be a 'mild' case of Essential Tremor (ET, shaky hands) for a few

years now.  After some reading I learned of something that helps quite a bit. I used to velcro

strap long rectangular ice packs to my forearms down to my wrists. I only used them for fine

tuning my hands/fingers. After taking them off (15/20 minutes) my hands were much steadier

for about 20 minutes. Recently I got a pair of workout gloves (see photo) turned them around

backwards and stick a 4 inch ice pack in the back of the glove. That way I can still use my

fingers 'with' the gloves on. It does help.

qkfCDLJ.png

I also have lately had a nasty case of excema on my hands which is no fun at all. You don't want to get

alcohol or thinner on that  :o !!!   So let's keep on as long as we can eh ?

I also agree completely with Chuck about backing off on the detail. Sometimes it's not easy but it is

a relief once you get your mind around it. Have fun with the Spit GW   :thumbsup:

Edited by MikeMaben

Hello everyone, thanks so much for the encouragement, support and ideas. 

Hearing that so many of us face similar challenges to a greater or lesser degree and cope is a big help. 

I recognise that my own situation is not as serious as many and I consider myself lucky when compared to the guys with more serious conditions. 

@chuck540z3 thanks buddy. Your wise words echo what's been in the back of my mind for a while and is probably one of the main reasons why my Big 'Cat is unlikely to ever cross the finish line. Never say never but I can't conceive of adding all of that wiring in the gear bays like I did before. :wacko:

For Spit, the only area where I want to go to town where some smaller details are found is the cockpit. Thankfully Spitfire wheel bays aren't too complex on the whole.

My plan is to build the aircraft largely buttoned up. I've already built one scale Merlin with added spice but never removed the panels once after I put it in the cabinet! :lol: 

It seems a shame of course since Airfix did a good job on the engine but I shall concentrate my efforts in other areas. 

@John Stambaugh, @denders, @Oldbaldguy, @JayW, thanks guys. I am wearing some off the shelf specs so perhaps prescription glasses might be something to shell out for. I also use a magnifier generously gifted to me by Mike aka Sandbagger when I visited him a while ago. (Thanks again Mike) and that's a big help but the lens just blew so have to source a new one before I can get back to using that. I also have a sort optivisor headband magnifier that helps too so I have plenty of artificial aids going for me. 

The shaky hand thing I'm hoping might be too much coffee or ring rust. I like to think that as I get more into the build my muscle memory will kick in and things could improve. 

@LSP_Kevin, yikes. $500 is a chunk of dough. Sorry you're not getting the use out of them at present. Hopefully you'll get to use them before your prescription changes any. 

@MikeMaben, sorry to hear all that Mike. Your experiences go to show that I am very fortunate when it comes to the state of play and I'm grateful for that. 

@Tolga ULGUR, sorry my photos don't appear. I am using Postimage but I'm not aware of any bandwith limitations. I'm happy to send you images directly if you're interested. Drop me a PM . 

@quang, That's a different looking seat for sure. In truth it's quite likely that my painting is what lets my seat down rather than what Airfix provide ;)

On the topic of the seat and it's padding, I had a great PM from Dave, aka Palm-Tree, who is also building the kit. His research suggests that wartime Spitfires had black leather seat pads rather than the brown I've depicted so I will probably give it a second go. Who knows, I might get lucky and create something less like wood next time round :lol:

Once again, thanks so much for all of the input guys. 

More soon, 

Cheers. 

Edited by geedubelyer

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

On the topic of the seat and it's padding, I had a great PM from another member who is also building the kit (I'll ask if he minds me putting his name here and then edit this post later). His research suggests that wartime Spitfires had black leather seat pads rather than the brown I've depicted so I will probably give it a second go.

Your friend is right.

LsZdrpr.jpg

8 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

The shaky hand thing I'm hoping might be too much coffee or ring rust. I like to think that as I get more into the build my muscle memory will kick in and things could improve. 

I found that the shaky hands were more so in the morning than in the evening. We've switched to half-caf coffee and it's made a difference. The shaky isn't eliminated, but it's better. If I'm working on something that it really affects, I save that job for the evening.

4 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Is that image of a restored warbird seat?

I found the pic on the internet. I don’t know where it comes from.

An old IPMS pal used to lend a hand restoring a SAAF Spitfire Mk.IX in his younger days. It was him who warned me about the ‘flat’ Airfix seat.

He did remember well the black, rather coarse leather padding on the seat.

HTH

Quang

:D Hi Timmy, good to see you. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoy. 

Here's a look at the revised seat back pad. 

20230205_162334_2.jpg

Again, please forgive the white balance but I hope you get the idea. 

Now a quick question. 

I've begun the IP.

In the image below you can see that Airfix give us four beautifully uniform pipes molded on the left hand side of the panel. 

20230205_180116_2.jpg

References pics show three. 

Does anyone know what a wartime Mk IX had please? 

Cheers.  

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........5th Feb 2023. Cockpit IP question

Just looked at the Monforton book on the IX and the Pilots Notes diagram, they both show the four pipes running along the left hand side of the bulkhead, coming through a hole in the bulkhead and running down the bulkhead.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

On 2/2/2023 at 8:17 PM, geedubelyer said:

@LSP_Kevin, yikes. $500 is a chunk of dough. Sorry you're not getting the use out of them at present. Hopefully you'll get to use them before your prescription changes any.

I suppose I'd have to do some modelling for that to happen! Anything's possible, I guess. Looking forward to more of your build, all the same!

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Here's the latest on the Spitfire.

20230216_195351_2.jpg

After the help from Dennis I decided to replace the pipes with some wire. This gives a less uniform but more 3D appearance. The wires were painted copper with clamps from folded strips of wine bottle foil.

Also evident on the right of the IP in the above image is the modified fuel primer. When compared to the the molded plastic version in the image a coupe of posts ago the kit part just wasn't obvious or long enough. I made this by surrounding a length of plastic rod with four equal lengths of wire and topping it off with two discs.

Airfix provide a separate compass to glue under the IP but it's a bit "clunky". The Airscale set offers an etched compass holder that is designed to wrap around the kit part. 

20230217_193143_2.jpg

I decided to simply create a new compass and use the etched metal part on its' own. This sits alongside the Airscale etched fuel selector lever.

With that attached I continued with the Airscale IP panel. This is a layered assembly and with care builds up into a superb representation of the full sized item. 

20230226_093655_2.jpg

Whilst assembling this I added switches from wire, knobs from plastic rod and the flap lever from Airscale's own generic 1/32nd scale cockpit assortment set. Conveniently it matches the 1/24th scale version perfectly

Some of the Airfix parts lack finesse, especially in this scale. They benefit from a bit of work with a file. One instance is this lever.

20230212_184719_2.jpg

It attaches to the emergency undercarriage release bottle and should be much thinner when compared to the full sized item. I filed it to make it to reduce its' heft.

20230212_190057_2.jpg

Once added to the side wall it blends in better. 

20230216_195330_2.jpg

I also replaced a pipe with wire because the part was a tad misshapen and wouldn't sit correctly. 

I next turned my attention to the undercarriage selector. 

20230226_142248_2.jpg

Airscale comes to the rescue again here with etch and decals to spruce this part up. Once again Airfix provide crisp, uniform pipes which look ok but don't necessarily represent reality.

No surprise then that I've opted to replace the plastic with wires again. 

20230226-155448-2.jpg

As you can see, I also fashioned a new, longer selector handle with a carved knob to replace the kit plastic.

Now, for anyone planning on adding heaps of pipes and cables in the cockpit floor, a quick look at what can typically be seen without a flashlight....

20230228_160635_2.jpg

:whistle:

In the above pic you can see the rudder pedals. These also benefit from Airscale etch and some judicious filing.

20230221_195138_2.jpg

And what the assembly actually looks like insitu

20230302_153022_2.jpg

Finally, for this update, something that I thought might be of use to other Spitfire builders. The aerial mast mount that sits between two of the fuselage bulkheads. It's molded solid by Airfix but it is visible through the canopy. 

20230302_163426_2.jpg

Why not add some holes? 

20230302_170040_2.jpg

A teeny tiny mod but one worth doing for the sake of a few minutes work. 

Edited by geedubelyer

10 minutes ago, airscale said:

fantastic!

I can't tell you how much pleasure it gives me to see the Spitfire set in action - especially in your hands Guy as I also like to see what else can be done to build on Airfix's brilliant effort

Loving every post

Peter

Hi Peter, your set is a superb upgrade and fits beautifully. Cracking job, so on behalf of Spitfire builders far and wide, I thank you. :clap2:

I do confess that being a smidge rusty I found it a bit of a challenge but one well worth tackling for the end result that it offers. 

BTW, I'm making a short list of components that you might consider for a "cockpit set 2.0" ;)

Edited by geedubelyer

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........2nd Mar 2023. Cockpit progress
On 1/31/2023 at 12:41 PM, geedubelyer said:

Hi everyone,

Progress so far. 

As we can see from the assembly instructions the completed seat attaches to fuselage former part D11. Before I could do that I wanted to improve the look of the part. 

Airscale goes a long way towards that by providing a nicely detailled cover for the plastic. 

20230119_105614.jpg

I removed the relevant surface detail from the plastic and drilled out the holes . 

20230119-105635.jpg

20230119-114439-2.jpg

Additionally i opened up the largest holes to create a hollow appearance to the frame. 

20230119_150234_2.jpg

With the etch attached the frame looks closer to the full sized version.

20230119_152529_2.jpg

It was after this that I realised the top holes are covered by the armour plate. <_<

:lol:

Airscale also provide a nicely scale armour plate to replace the thicker plastic part plus the attachment points for the seat harness rail.

I used short lengths of thin wire placed in holes in the etch to align the part

20230119-191703-2.jpg

During the fitting of the harness bar I was reminded of how rusty I am as I managed to mangle the right hand side bracket. Fortunately it's not too glaring.

With that complete it was about time to paint things but before I did that there was something about the seat that was bugging me. 

Going back to the part for a moment.

20230115_164455_2.jpg

We can see that Airfix neatly molded on the corner strengthening plates to each front corner of the seat base. However, the walls of the seat on the full sized affair are much thinner in that area. After much deliberation I eventually decided to try to improve the look. 

20230119_200850_2.jpg

Spot the difference? No, I don't expect anyone else would either but I'm happier :P

With that little detail attended to I flung some paint around. The interior green colour looks very washed out in these photos but I think that could be due to taking the pics under artificial light, against a dark green background and with alot of reddish hues from the seat in the metering area. 

It looks better in real life, honest.:innocent:

20230129_194224_2.jpg

When I asked for an opinion on the seat padding I was told "that's quite a realistic wood effect......." :(

20230129_194233_2.jpg

Now that it's been pointed out I can see my attempt at aged and worn leather was less than successful:lol: Perhaps I'll return to it but, then again, much of it will be covered by belts eventually so, perhaps not.:hmmm:

20230129_194312_2.jpg

The back rest armour is made from thin plasticard copied from the kit part. 

I tried to copy photos from the 'net for the look of the seat. It's a mottled combination of browns and brick reds. Really quite a difficult task to achieve in scale. A little lighter dry brushing suggests wear to the base and you might be able to make out some extra fastener details too. 

There is some chipping to the metal components and lever but I didn't want to go overboard. The flare holder will be added to the front of the seat later.

On the rear of the bulkhead I fitted parts #D44 & #D56 which combine to make up the voltage regulator that Dennis kindly found for us. 

20230119_105721.jpg

Thanks again Dennis. 

Some added fastener detail, wires and a lick of paint later and we have this. 

20230129_194337_2.jpg

So there we go. Not a huge amount of progress but much more modelling than I've done for years. Thanks for having a look.

Now, please permit me a moment of reflection (as the BAe Hawks of the Red Arrows serenade me over my house).

I've mentioned a few times about being rusty. This is evident from the work I'm doing. Dexterity and motor functions aren't a patch on what they were before. I have to accept that I'm a bit older now and perhaps my hands are less steady. Don't get me wrong, I'm not old, just older. 

Additionally, and probably most importantly for the kind of modelling I have enjoyed over the years, my eyes aren't what they were. I already use aids to see what I'm doing but tiny components are just not clear in my vision. What this translates to is difficulty in turning out work to the quality I expect from myself.

So, it's likely something needs to change and some thought must be given to where my hobby takes me going forward. 

It's possible that others are going through this or have gone through it. If anyone cares to share their thoughts or experiences either here or by PM then I'd be interested to hear.

Catch you next time. 

Cheers.

With you all the way Guy. Since moving to varifocals a few years ago, I've accumulated a row of 5 different pairs of readers across the window ledge in front of my bench. I have your troubld with the small bits though. I've just taken the decision to use a bit of the megre pension pot I've got and have the damn things lasered. I'll still need readers but hopefully can get around WITHOUT having to wobble my head around like a dancer in a Bollywood epic to get anything in focus. I'm due in in the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed. Your spit is looking great by the way, mine's got fuselage together, wins and wingtips on. It all happened in a blur last weekend:BANGHEAD2::D

Edited by CraigH
Missed word