Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........March 2024. All done

geedubelyer

2 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Hi all,

Here's the latest on the Spitfire.

20230216_195351_2.jpg

After the help from Dennis I decided to replace the pipes with some wire. This gives a less uniform but more 3D appearance. The wires were painted copper with clamps from folded strips of wine bottle foil.

Also evident on the right of the IP in the above image is the modified fuel primer. When compared to the the molded plastic version in the image a coupe of posts ago the kit part just wasn't obvious or long enough. I made this by surrounding a length of plastic rod with four equal lengths of wire and topping it off with two discs.

Airfix provide a separate compass to glue under the IP but it's a bit "clunky". The Airscale set offers an etched compass holder that is designed to wrap around the kit part. 

20230217_193143_2.jpg

I decided to simply create a new compass and use the etched metal part on its' own. This sits alongside the Airscale etched fuel selector lever.

With that attached I continued with the Airscale IP panel. This is a layered assembly and with care builds up into a superb representation of the full sized item. 

20230226_093655_2.jpg

Whilst assembling this I added switches from wire, knobs from plastic rod and the flap lever from Airscale's own generic 1/32nd scale cockpit assortment set. Conveniently it matches the 1/24th scale version perfectly

Some of the Airfix parts lack finesse, especially in this scale. They benefit from a bit of work with a file. One instance is this lever.

20230212_184719_2.jpg

It attaches to the emergency undercarriage release bottle and should be much thinner when compared to the full sized item. I filed it to make it to reduce its' heft.

20230212_190057_2.jpg

Once added to the side wall it blends in better. 

20230216_195330_2.jpg

I also replaced a pipe with wire because the part was a tad misshapen and wouldn't sit correctly. 

I next turned my attention to the undercarriage selector. 

20230226_142248_2.jpg

Airscale comes to the rescue again here with etch and decals to spruce this part up. Once again Airfix provide crisp, uniform pipes which look ok but don't necessarily represent reality.

No surprise then that I've opted to replace the plastic with wires again. 

20230226-155448-2.jpg

As you can see, I also fashioned a new, longer selector handle with a carved knob to replace the kit plastic.

Now, for anyone planning on adding heaps of pipes and cables in the cockpit floor, a quick look at what can typically be seen without a flashlight....

20230228_160635_2.jpg

:whistle:

In the above pic you can see the rudder pedals. These also benefit from Airscale etch and some judicious filing.

20230221_195138_2.jpg

And what the assembly actually looks like insitu

20230302_153022_2.jpg

Finally, for this update, something that I thought might be of use to other Spitfire builders. The aerial mast mount that sits between two of the fuselage bulkheads. It's molded solid by Airfix but it is visible through the canopy. 

20230302_163426_2.jpg

Why not add some holes? 

20230302_170040_2.jpg

A teeny tiny mod but one worth doing for the sake of a few minutes work. 

Don't forget to extend the aerial mast down through it too. That's visible (just) through the rear glass

On 2/5/2023 at 6:10 PM, geedubelyer said:

:D Hi Timmy, good to see you. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoy. 

Here's a look at the revised seat back pad. 

20230205_162334_2.jpg

Again, please forgive the white balance but I hope you get the idea. 

Now a quick question. 

I've begun the IP.

In the image below you can see that Airfix give us four beautifully uniform pipes molded on the left hand side of the panel. 

20230205_180116_2.jpg

References pics show three. 

Does anyone know what a wartime Mk IX had please? 

Cheers.  

I checked my bible Montforten and it's 4. The Mk.V had three

This is the first build of this kit i have followed closely; looking good but i can’t help thinking a lot of the Airfix parts are just, well, ‘clunky’; but i guess it is what it is.

I like your rendition of the colour & weathering on the seat.

I take your point about not too much being visible on the cockpit floor even in this scale, but equally once things are this big, if that hood is open, there is still quite a lot of ‘stuff’ going on; it would be interesting to see side by side builds of OOB and adding extra detail, and then a comparison at the end to see if it’s all worth it?! I have certainly come to the conclusion that in 1/32 it usually is not, and am determined to focus on paint finish and external weathering in future aircraft builds.

good luck for the rest of the project.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 8:57 AM, nmayhew said:

This is the first build of this kit i have followed closely; looking good but i can’t help thinking a lot of the Airfix parts are just, well, ‘clunky’; but i guess it is what it is.

Hi Nick, good to see you, thanks for contributing. I tend to agree with your thoughts on the "clunkiness" of some of the parts. I feel the same but I reconcile this against the price. Could this be a way of reducing production costs? Would molds with higher fidelity be more expensive? Or, are Airfix aiming for a segment of the market that is less fastidious when it comes to fine detail? In truth much of the clunkiness can be addressed by sanding or replacing with aftermarket. Actually, this kit is crying out for a full resin replacement cockpit (and even a resin Merlin for anyone leaving the cowlings off).

I like your rendition of the colour & weathering on the seat.

Thanks. The plastic seat is difficult to emulate but it's a focal point of the cockpit so I tried hard. Glad you like it.

I take your point about not too much being visible on the cockpit floor even in this scale, but equally once things are this big, if that hood is open, there is still quite a lot of ‘stuff’ going on; it would be interesting to see side by side builds of OOB and adding extra detail, and then a comparison at the end to see if it’s all worth it?! I have certainly come to the conclusion that in 1/32 it usually is not, and am determined to focus on paint finish and external weathering in future aircraft builds.

good luck for the rest of the project.

Nick

Agreed, a side-by-side would be fascinating. The main area that I'm concentrating on adding any extra detail is the cockpit. My model will not have the engine on display. I did that on the 1/32nd scale Tamiya Mk XVI and have never removed the cowlings since I put it in the cabinet! :lol:

Instead, I shall concentrate on making the airframe look as neat and tidy as I can.

Thanks to Craig for the news on the pipes running from the gear selector lever. Glad I used four now. 

I have Craig to thank again for blazing a path and fettling some of the parts. 

This time I've tackled the control column/joystick/spade grip call it what you will. 

20230305_172037_2.jpg

Some of the molding is nice like the subtle lumps in the rubber covering of the hooped grip. However, Airfix missed the very obvious connectors on the three hoses running up the front of the assembly. I used resin aftermarket parts for them. I also extended the relevator attachment nib on the front of the column. This pokes out beyond the hoses. 

20230305_170942_2.jpg

This was painted up and extra cables for the handbrake were added to the rear of the assembly although they'll possibly be barely visible.

20230311_171248_2.jpg

20230311_171239_2.jpg

I fashioned a semblance of the elevator actuator connection and ran a length of plastic rod under the seat. This is something that Airfix might have easily included. 

I also ran some wires from the rudder bars and elevator actuator to populate the fuselage a bit and busy it up. Very little will be seen so I didn't go daft. 

Here's a look so far. 

20230311_174950_2.jpg

20230311_175016_2.jpg

20230311_175124_2.jpg

What these brutal macro images highlight to me is just how ropey my work looks! :lol:

You've got to picture this all buttoned up and viewed it from a moderate distance. Hopefully, in those terms it'll look ok.... :unsure:

:rolleyes:

Edited by geedubelyer

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........11th Mar 2023. Joystick stuff
22 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

What these brutal macro images highlight to me is just how ropey my work looks!

Well - I don't think so - it loos great.  We are our own worst critics.  As you know, I feel the same way when I show macros of my work.  

Guy, I've got to say your seat is stunning. It blinds mine. I've stopped doing the macros as I think it's unnecessary cruelty! My aim with photos now (and I'm no photographer believe me) is to try and replicate what I see before me, no more. I use photoshop to adjust nothing other than exposure or temperature, occasionally shadows, and that's purely to compensate for my failings as a photographer. I'm not getting your updates for some reason but no worries, I keep checking. Quick question, how do you change your titles as you progress. I've looked everywhere and can't work out how to do it. Thanks

Craig

26 minutes ago, CraigH said:

Guy, I've got to say your seat is stunning. It blinds mine. I've stopped doing the macros as I think it's unnecessary cruelty! My aim with photos now (and I'm no photographer believe me) is to try and replicate what I see before me, no more. I use photoshop to adjust nothing other than exposure or temperature, occasionally shadows, and that's purely to compensate for my failings as a photographer. I'm not getting your updates for some reason but no worries, I keep checking. Quick question, how do you change your titles as you progress. I've looked everywhere and can't work out how to do it. Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig, many thanks and I'm glad you like the seat but it's probably more to do with flukely catching it in the right light more than anything else.

To change your thread title you need to edit your first post. That allows you to also edit the title. HTH

While I'm here, let's have a show of hands. Who enjoys putting together etch and fabric seat belts and harnesses? <_<

They are responsible for the first (and possibly only) bout of expletives so far on this build! :BANGHEAD2:

:lol:

I had planned on using the Airscale product but everywhere was out of stock. I was kindly bought a set of HGW belts so have used those instead. They appear to be just as stiff and unwieldy as the actual straps look in photos. Sometimes accuracy can be taken too far...:rolleyes:

.Pictures soon. 

Cheers. 

Edited by geedubelyer

Morning Guy, I’ve just caught up, as in “read the whole epistle” with your build….you’re on quite a journey but it all looks very fulfilling! Seriously though, the cockpit does look just right; I’m with you 100% in the photographs showing up flaws comment but as nuilders we tend to see things that others can’t, a bit like when something goes wrong in a stage play….the audience usually doesn’t notice! 
I’m shortly turning 75 and find my vision is deteriorating. Modelling-wise I can’t do a damn thing without an optivisor but even there I’m aware (I think) of distortions so may need to upgrade to a better quality set.

Keep on doing what you’re doing my friend, all’s good! :clap2:

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

Hi Craig, many thanks and I'm glad you like the seat but it's probably more to do with flukely catching it in the right light more than anything else.

To change your thread title you need to edit your first post. That allows you to also edit the title. HTH

While I'm here, let's have a show of hands. Who enjoys putting together etch and fabric seat belts and harnesses? <_<

They are responsible for the first (and possibly only) bout of expletives so far on this build! :BANGHEAD2:

:lol:

I had planned on using the Airscale product but everywhere was out of stock. I was kindly bought a set of HGW belts so have used those instead. They appear to be just as stiff and unwieldy as the actual straps look in photos. Sometimes accuracy can be taken too far...:rolleyes:

.Pictures soon. 

Cheers. 

I make my thoughts crystal clear in my post. I HATE THEM:BANGHEAD2: I used Airscale (now made by Radu I believe? ) but HGW cause just as many expletives LOL

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........14th Mar 2023. HGW Sutton harness fun

@JayW, @mozart and @CraigH, your continuing support and encouragement is much appreciated guys. 

Here's a look at the HGW harness. 

20230314_143510_2.jpg

As you can see, I've draped the right hand lap belt over the side of the seat and tucked the left hand shoulder strap over the armour plating.

Here are the instructions

20230314-144909-2.jpg

Certainly not the most comprehensive but manageable with care. 

As alluded to previously, the micro fabric is quite starchy and not as supple as others I've used but that might actually replicate the full sized article. 

I've used a light wash overcthe harness material but may dirty some regularly handled parts of them up a bit more. 

20230314_143548_2.jpg

I'll try to drape the left hand lap strap over the left fuselage half when it comes time to assemble it. 

20230314_143621_2.jpg

The tail of the belt is destined to attach to a wire threaded through the top of the bulkheads at the rearmost end of the whole assembly.

Glad that's over :lol: 

Next up, the left hand wall including throttle, cylinders  and other items. 

Cheers. 

Edited by geedubelyer

On 3/14/2023 at 3:15 PM, mozart said:

I can’t speak (yet) for the suppleness of that type of seat belt Guy, but the simpler Sutton type we use in the Tiger Moths are not the most comfortable in the world….quite stiff and unbending. 

Hi Max, that's what I thought from looking at photos. I hope you have time to take lots of reference photos before and/or after your hop.

The left hand side of the cockpit tub is next and one of the most prominent features is the throttle assembly. Airfix offer two variants for this. I opted for the first version without the gunsight control. 

20230314_172512_2.jpg

From the close up its evident that the designer got most of the detail of the full sized item. It does bare out Nick's thoughts from earlier though. It is a bit "clunky" so to speak. 

20230314_172613_2.jpg

Since it is so prominent I decided to twiddle with it. I used an etched lever from the generic Airscale cockpit detail set to replace the front lever and thinned the other two. I also removed the guard to the left of the part and replaced it with folded aluminium from a pie dish. Finally I added a ring cut from micro tubing to the centre. 

20230316_210835_2.jpg

You might also make out two wires and the throttle linkage too.

Fasteners were added to the black side panels for the trim adjusters and blank part. 

The complex switch and button panels feature some nice detail to pick out with paint.

20230316_211057_2.jpg

The eagle eyed may have spotted the additional details to the bottle clamps. I didn't add any lettering because I couldn't find any good reference photos showing what it says. 

Before buttoning up the tub I returned to the seat to attach the other lap belt. 

20230316_211326_2.jpg

Once again, draped over the seat edges. The thicker strap doesnt hang down fully vertically but given what Max said earlier about the belts I'm not losing sleep over it. The rear of the harness was attached to wires that disappear off into the rear fuselage somewhere. 

20230316_211428_2.jpg

On Craig's advice I also fitted the base of the aerial mast. 

With that all done it was time to button up the tub. I'll finish with a few photos of the completed assembly. 

20230316_213727.jpg

20230316_213740.jpg

20230316_213828.jpg

20230316_213847.jpg

Thanks for taking a look. 

Cheers,

Guy

Edited by geedubelyer

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........17th Mar 2023. Buttoning up the cockpit tub.