Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........March 2024. All done

geedubelyer

Hi everyone,

Progress so far. 

As we can see from the assembly instructions the completed seat attaches to fuselage former part D11. Before I could do that I wanted to improve the look of the part. 

Airscale goes a long way towards that by providing a nicely detailled cover for the plastic. 

20230119_105614.jpg

I removed the relevant surface detail from the plastic and drilled out the holes . 

20230119-105635.jpg

20230119-114439-2.jpg

Additionally i opened up the largest holes to create a hollow appearance to the frame. 

20230119_150234_2.jpg

With the etch attached the frame looks closer to the full sized version.

20230119_152529_2.jpg

It was after this that I realised the top holes are covered by the armour plate. <_<

:lol:

Airscale also provide a nicely scale armour plate to replace the thicker plastic part plus the attachment points for the seat harness rail.

I used short lengths of thin wire placed in holes in the etch to align the part

20230119-191703-2.jpg

During the fitting of the harness bar I was reminded of how rusty I am as I managed to mangle the right hand side bracket. Fortunately it's not too glaring.

With that complete it was about time to paint things but before I did that there was something about the seat that was bugging me. 

Going back to the part for a moment.

20230115_164455_2.jpg

We can see that Airfix neatly molded on the corner strengthening plates to each front corner of the seat base. However, the walls of the seat on the full sized affair are much thinner in that area. After much deliberation I eventually decided to try to improve the look. 

20230119_200850_2.jpg

Spot the difference? No, I don't expect anyone else would either but I'm happier :P

With that little detail attended to I flung some paint around. The interior green colour looks very washed out in these photos but I think that could be due to taking the pics under artificial light, against a dark green background and with alot of reddish hues from the seat in the metering area. 

It looks better in real life, honest.:innocent:

20230129_194224_2.jpg

When I asked for an opinion on the seat padding I was told "that's quite a realistic wood effect......." :(

20230129_194233_2.jpg

Now that it's been pointed out I can see my attempt at aged and worn leather was less than successful:lol: Perhaps I'll return to it but, then again, much of it will be covered by belts eventually so, perhaps not.:hmmm:

20230129_194312_2.jpg

The back rest armour is made from thin plasticard copied from the kit part. 

I tried to copy photos from the 'net for the look of the seat. It's a mottled combination of browns and brick reds. Really quite a difficult task to achieve in scale. A little lighter dry brushing suggests wear to the base and you might be able to make out some extra fastener details too. 

There is some chipping to the metal components and lever but I didn't want to go overboard. The flare holder will be added to the front of the seat later.

On the rear of the bulkhead I fitted parts #D44 & #D56 which combine to make up the voltage regulator that Dennis kindly found for us. 

20230119_105721.jpg

Thanks again Dennis. 

Some added fastener detail, wires and a lick of paint later and we have this. 

20230129_194337_2.jpg

So there we go. Not a huge amount of progress but much more modelling than I've done for years. Thanks for having a look.

Now, please permit me a moment of reflection (as the BAe Hawks of the Red Arrows serenade me over my house).

I've mentioned a few times about being rusty. This is evident from the work I'm doing. Dexterity and motor functions aren't a patch on what they were before. I have to accept that I'm a bit older now and perhaps my hands are less steady. Don't get me wrong, I'm not old, just older. 

Additionally, and probably most importantly for the kind of modelling I have enjoyed over the years, my eyes aren't what they were. I already use aids to see what I'm doing but tiny components are just not clear in my vision. What this translates to is difficulty in turning out work to the quality I expect from myself.

So, it's likely something needs to change and some thought must be given to where my hobby takes me going forward. 

It's possible that others are going through this or have gone through it. If anyone cares to share their thoughts or experiences either here or by PM then I'd be interested to hear.

Catch you next time. 

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

I've almost always got some sort of magnifiers on while working on modeling. I have one of the sets bought on Amazon that includes a light and several sets of lenses that I will occasionally switch out depending upon what I'm working at. I have glasses for distance and reading but they're almost always off while modeling.

I've also got the shaky hands which bring annoyance when placing small bits like PE and almost always bring tests of my patience.

Remember, it's supposed to be fun! :goodjob:

Great to see you back at a project Guy.

I recall your Flanker being a huge inspiration, and source of tips to the two I’ve built subsequently. 
Like yourself, I’ve found my eyesight deteriorating to the point that tiny parts become a hassle to handle/paint, and use a backlit magnifier on a stand. I’ve started to come to terms with the knowledge that my modelling days in minute detail are drawing to a close. To the point that I’m looking at possible pastimes beyond the hobby. 
Until that point, I’ll follow your progress with interest. 

Life, if we get to live all of it, is a bell curve.  Like you, I am doing my best to extend the curve on the backside as long as I can.  But, I can’t see (a condition I hope to address in the near term before medical care for seniors goes out the window), my hands are steady but my fingers seem to have minds of their own, and my hearing is shot. Oh!  And my knees have become very reliable barometers and often go on strike halfway up the hill.  From what I can tell, the only solution is to keep moving.  It has been my experience that airplanes like to be used.  The more you fly them, the happier they are.  Park one in the hangar and it sickens and dies.  Considering that each of my planes was smarter than I will ever be, I plan to follow their lead and avoid the hangar as long as I can.  Modeling is a great way to do that - exercising your brain, honing and maintaining fine motor skills, decision making and all that.  From what I can see, time is treating you kindly.  Your eye/hand skills are consummate, whatever your age, and not as rusty as you think.  I very much look forward to being amazed at your WIP.  As far as your leather seat back goes, any issues arise from Airfix molding the thing to look like the back of an Adirondack chair instead of a pilot’s seat, so that one is not on you.

Hi Guy!

Your “reflections” strike close to home, because at 68 years of age, I’m pretty sure I’m close to the peak of my own modeling abilities and they can only get worse over time, with reduced dexterity and vision.  This shouldn’t stop me- or you- from enjoying this hobby for many years to come.  What we may lack in physical abilities is partially offset by our experience, which in your case is quite extensive.  Further, despite your misgivings about some of your work above, your modeling is easily in the top 5% of all modelers and like most of us, you are way too hard on yourself.  

If I may offer some advice after witnessing your modeling for several years, I think you worry too much about every single detail, which results in you going down several different rabbit holes of frustration, creating more stress for a hobby that should be enjoyable at least 90% of the time.  Your seat modifications are a perfect example.  I still can’t see the difference, so the extra effort may or may not have been worth it?  That is why I’ve backed off super detailing landing gear bays from what I used to do, because you almost never see them again, depending on the subject.  If the landing gear is quite visible with a mirror like my F-16 build, I’ll go to the extra effort.  If not, like my F-15, I won’t.

One tip I can offer with your vision is to get some bifocals made, specifically for modeling.  Close-up visors work OK when you’re looking at tiny plastic parts, but when checking references at the same time, they get in the way.  With the lower part of the bifocal lens a magnifier and the upper portion created for 1 to 2 feet away, you’ve got the two most important modeling vision bases covered, without taking your glasses off.  I’ve had the same pair for 10 years and they still work great.  If you do get some made, select a large lens so that the sweet spot for both focal lengths are easy to find.  Forget progressive lenses which are great for most vision correction (I have them as well for every day use), because you don’t need the correction changes to be gradual, which wastes space on the lens, and are much more expensive than bifocals.

Cheers,

Chuck

I wear progressive lenses all day long, and had a special pair made with only 2 zones - much like the bifocals that Chuck suggests. The sad thing is, I'm in the hobby room so infrequently these days that I never use them; they're just gathering dust in their case on my workbench. And they cost me $500! I also use one of the new-style magnifiers now, which is much better than my old optivisor ever was. So despite deteriorating eyesight, when I actually remember to use the aids I have at my disposal, I don't really feel limited at all. Thankfully, my hands haven't started shaking yet!

Spitfire's looking great, Guy.

Kev

Seeing - before I developed cataracts, I was quite near sighted and had to have glasses for distance.  At that point, I had a zone about 6 inches to 1 foot away or so where I felt like I had x-ray vision, without any correction.  Only rarely did I feel I needed magnification.  Good ole' days.  Now, after eye surgery for bionic lenses (to fix the cataracts), I have distance vision at the expense of close-up vision.  Anything close-up requires readers or a progressive lens.  For modeling, I use the optivisor plus readers (+3.00 power).  Works for me; hope it continues to work.