An end to colour debates ??

Bob MDC

The local hardware store chain has something similar to this in their paint shop. Very handy tools.

I doubt it will end the colour debate though because perception of colour is a process beyond accurately assessing reflected wavelengths of light.  Much of it is entirely subjective, especially for men.

Matty

I love the idea that that there is one, definitive colour to anything in the historical field. Determining the "true" colour of something from many decades ago is like trying to herd cats.... covered in treacle.... up a very steep hill. Let's not even get started on the concept that contemporary, colour photos are a good source of information. They should be taken with a very large pinch-of-salt.  

Chris. 

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Amending some information.

7 hours ago, LSP_Matt said:

I doubt it will end the colour debate though because perception of colour is a process beyond accurately assessing reflected wavelengths of light.  Much of it is entirely subjective, especially for men.

Matty

So very true.  I don’t think I’m color blind, but my perception of color is different from one eye to the other - one eye sees colors as being warmer than the other.

12 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

So very true.  I don’t think I’m color blind, but my perception of color is different from one eye to the other - one eye sees colors as being warmer than the other.

Even ambient light comes into it.  As the light fades, the cone cells in the retina have a hard time getting enough reflected light for the optic areas of the brain to register a colour.  The neurophysiology of it all filters into vehicle conspicuity and road safety research.

I used to be fairly "anal" when it came to color fidelity on my builds.  That changed when I was the First Sergeant of a Combined Arms Company.  While deployed I got a lot of opportunity to see the AFV's assigned to my company in a variety of settings and light conditions.  From a modelling standpoint the paint on each of the AFV's tended to look slightly - and sometimes more than slightly - different from the others, though they were all painted a sand tone in the same paint shed at the same time.  The differencies became more pronounced as our year long deployment progressed.  This occured with modern paint that is more resistant to environmental factors, in theory at least, than WWI or WWII paints; and that modern paint had been applied in a "somewhat" controlled environment - most of the time.  

Admittedly my observations were only of ground vehicles and helicoptors as we only saw fast movers as specks dropping ordnance that we had requested, if we saw them at all.  But I think the above observations apply equally to aircraft.  Since then I have been in the "ballpark is good" camp when it comes to shade and tone of colors that I spray onto my models.

Ernest  

and I think it is the same with the degrees of gloss to pure matt finish.  Looking at builds online and at shows most people seem to finish in a flat coat however when you look at aircraft in real life, the vast majority seem to be finished in varying shades of gloss, satin and matt. It's very rare to find one all completely gloss or matt but modelling fashion seems to dictate matt finish at the moment.     

24 minutes ago, npb748r said:

and I think it is the same with the degrees of gloss to pure matt finish.  Looking at builds online and at shows most people seem to finish in a flat coat however when you look at aircraft in real life, the vast majority seem to be finished in varying shades of gloss, satin and matt. It's very rare to find one all completely gloss or matt but modelling fashion seems to dictate matt finish at the moment.     

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head: modeling fashion.  Modeling fashion is another one of those subjective, feel good things that has little to do with reality but builders are obsessed with.  Trench-like panel lines, dirt and wear in the wrong places, etc everywhere you look all because one guy pulled it off so everyone else has to do it too.  Wonder what the new thing will be in the coming year?

You forgot waaay too flat tires…

Cockpit details, especially instrument panels that are too clean, toy-like, bezels too tall and/or very wrong colors and or value (e.g., dark blue and or green for black grey).

anything that can go wrong using 3D printed parts… tire details, brand logos that stand too proud or are too large.  More details that cannot be seen after model closed up.

I will stop. I may be taking all the fun out of this. :P

Edited by Rick Griewski

3 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

You forgot waaay too flat tires…

Cockpit details, especially instrument panels that are too clean, toy-like, bezels too tall and/or very wrong colors and or value (e.g., dark blue and or green for black grey).

anything that can go wrong using 3D printed parts… tire details, brand logos that stand too proud or are too large.  More details that cannot be seen after model closed up.

I will stop. I may be taking all the fun out of this. :P

I admit that I am guilty of sometimes adding a bunch of extra detail that will never be seen - my Lanc Nose Art build that I did about a year ago comes to mind!  And nearly every time I do that I ask myself, "Why did I do that?!"  <grin>

Ernest