New 1/32 Spitfire XIVe conversion on the way

Sage the Owl

On 12/7/2022 at 5:14 PM, seiran01 said:

Tamiya USA has them in stock for $99 with free shipping, I picked up another last night 

Maybe, but Tamiya USA doesn't ship free to the UK, if it ships at all.

The best I can find is about £109, which is about $132 + conversion costs, which no doubt some idiot will find amusing.  

Tony

Edited by Tony T
conversion

20 hours ago, John1 said:

I’m not an expert on Spits - could I use the nose of this set along with my IX to do a high-backed Griffon version?

You'll need the full conversion, nose, larger underwing radiators, and enlarged tail - the fairing of which is slightly different for the high-back version, but no doubt they'll do a specific conversion.

And if you're doing a low-back Griffon Spitfire, would be a good idea to get the retractable tail wheel parts from the VIII kit and cut along the relevant panel line to fit. There's also the ailerons, which were as per the VIII, can't remember if they're in the IX and XVI kits.

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

You'll need the full conversion, nose, larger underwing radiators, and enlarged tail - the fairing of which is slightly different for the high-back version, but no doubt they'll do a specific conversion.

I've built the PCM MKXIV and have another in the stash, not a bad kit . I would like a low back version to back things up .If they offer a conversion for the high back Tamiya ,I'd go for that too 

For a high-back Griffon Spit, you want to start with the Mk. VIII kit as the wing of the XIV was based on the VIII.  The later XIVs had the e-wing armament, so you would want to get the relevant sprues for the e-wing included in the XVI kit.

10 minutes ago, jenshb said:

For a high-back Griffon Spit, you want to start with the Mk. VIII kit as the wing of the XIV was based on the VIII.  The later XIVs had the e-wing armament, so you would want to get the relevant sprues for the e-wing included in the XVI kit.

Thats what I did.

Sgessy.jpg

On 12/7/2022 at 12:19 PM, Tony T said:

Maybe, but Tamiya USA doesn't ship free to the UK, if it ships at all.

The best I can find is about £109, which is about $132 + conversion costs, which no doubt some idiot will find amusing.  

Tony

This idiot does not find this amusing at all. Many in the USA do not understand the value of Br****!    I will if you want buy one for you at the $99 USD price and mail it to you as a gift (assuming that gifts to you are not rip off taxed). Please go and estimate the shipping from my USA zip code of 48843.  Or provide me with your address now and I will calculate.  I think I have one so I can measure and weigh it.  

14 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

This idiot does not find this amusing at all. Many in the USA do not understand the value of Br****!    I will if you want buy one for you at the $99 USD price and mail it to you as a gift (assuming that gifts to you are not rip off taxed). Please go and estimate the shipping from my USA zip code of 48843.  Or provide me with your address now and I will calculate.  I think I have one so I can measure and weigh it.  

I wasn't referring to you Rick, but to the twit who posted a laughter emoticon, so I edited the post as a counter remark. 

Thanks for the offer — very kind of you. My grown-up children live in the USA so all things are possible.

Tony 

16 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

BILL !!!  Have you posted this before ? I haven't seen it.  Don't be hidin' stuff from us now.  Nice work  :goodjob:

You don't remember? 2019 double griffon build.     Geezer switch?   

Ihave a Tam. Mk VIII in the stash,(last one) and I'll be picking one of these sets up.