New 1/32 Spitfire XIVe conversion on the way

Sage the Owl

The Mk. VIII and the Mk. XVIe are both currently on sale from Tamiya USA for $100 each. For comparison, the Mk. IXc is listed on their website at $182. However, they are currently running inventory and shopping carts are closed until January 13th.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Edited by Dennis7423

3 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

What would really set this off for ME, is a firewall forward open engine conversion! Yeah , I'm one of "those" people. I'll be more than happy to get the closed up set though

Every time I asked Graham from Iconicair about a Griffon conversion, he always said he wanted to get the engine down first. So hopefully he's still planning to do one at some point. 

13 minutes ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Every time I asked Graham from Iconicair about a Griffon conversion, he always said he wanted to get the engine down first. So hopefully he's still planning to do one at some point. 

It's funny that you mention Iconicair , I've been wanting to get his Spitefull kit , but sold out  I've never built a full on resin kit so I don'

t know if that would a good one to start out with. I'm willing to give it a go though 

I know very little about later Spitfire marks.. I'd like to attempt a low-back, eliptical tip XIV (poss NH799/ZK-XIV or RM784) when this conversion set hits the shelves - I'd be grateful if someone could point me at the best base kit/mk to start with?

34 minutes ago, Sepp said:

I know very little about later Spitfire marks.. I'd like to attempt a low-back, eliptical tip XIV (poss NH799/ZK-XIV or RM784) when this conversion set hits the shelves - I'd be grateful if someone could point me at the best base kit/mk to start with?

Tamiya Spitfire XVI, but with the retractable tail wheel sprues from the VIII kit, I'll get you the numbers later, I'll be requiring them myself.

2 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Tamiya Spitfire XVI, but with the retractable tail wheel sprues from the VIII kit, I'll get you the numbers later, I'll be requiring them myself.

Looks like one would need Sprue HH, which has the retractable tailwheel specific parts in the VIII boxing. It uses the same tailwheel from Sprue G across all boxings.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

8 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Just one problem.  The Tamiya Mk XVI has a one piece fuselage, with no provision to exchange between retractable and fixed tail wheel.  You'd need to do some surgery.

MVxpyg.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

55 minutes ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Just one problem.  The Tamiya Mk XVI has a one piece fuselage, with no provision to exchange between retractable and fixed tail wheel.  You'd need to do some surgery.

MVxpyg.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

That's in part what I meant by tail wheel parts from the VIII, just cut away the part missing on the VIII fuselage, and add the retractable tail wheel fuselage parts from the VIII, it's all along panel lines, not difficult, easier than explaining it!

2 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

I'm hoping that they just include that section of the fuselage on the replacement tail. Would save folks from trying to track down the requisite sprue. I think the RB conversion was the same way. 

I haven't seen this yet on his CAD work, but I'm going to head over to the Book of Faces and recommend this right now.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

And a reply from our fearless creator:

"Hi Dennis, thank you for your interest. The plan for now is to make parts that will allow the conversion to be started with any of the Tamiya boxing. The kits based on XVI and IX will include the tail wheel and a template to make the necessary cuts, & one to scribe the wing tanks among other bits. I have spent some time crawling under the tail, so it has to be worth something. Regards."

Still no update on a price. Will keep everyone apprised as updates are posted. Anything else is pure speculation at this point.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

3 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

And a reply from our fearless creator:

"Hi Dennis, thank you for your interest. The plan for now is to make parts that will allow the conversion to be started with any of the Tamiya boxing. The kits based on XVI and IX will include the tail wheel and a template to make the necessary cuts, & one to scribe the wing tanks among other bits. I have spent some time crawling under the tail, so it has to be worth something. Regards."

Still no update on a price. Will keep everyone apprised as updates are posted. Anything else is pure speculation at this point.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Good news on the tail wheel front. Still wouldn't mind if someone would do a Griffon engine open cowl conversion[ are you surprised?] I'll take this anytime how so ever. Gotta love those Griffons