Kitty Hawk molds?

alaninaustria

I do think KHM got a bad wrap overall.

Having made quite a few demo models for, and worked closely with Glen of KHM, I can say their models improved considerably near the end. Several KHM LSPs having had a few issues, but overall very good fit/finish/engineering.

5 minutes ago, quang said:

I’ve never done KH 1/32 kits but I built some of their 1/48 models that renowned reviewers deemed ‘unbuildable’.:lol:

Their T-28 is solid, the OS2U also has its niggles but is a nice build.

One of the best modelers I know (Karim) sent me a KHM OV-10 because he couldn't tolerate finishing it.

At that point I'd already built 2 and had a 3rd (my own model I got from Glen) I'd started.

It too has its issues, but if you know what they are, most any competent modeler could build one OOB.

Karims excellent partially built example was highly modified, and I think he built himself a problem out of what actually can be a fun build.

This is my $0.02 worth, so please take it or leave it as you find it.

I've only ever built one of KHM kit and I think it turned out OK.  Having read some of the tales of woe about this kit, I tried very hard to make sure I avoided any issues.

90TtGr.jpg

You can read the WIP here.  The problem areas were mostly around the nose, but not difficult to avoid or fix.  I was sufficiently impressed with the final result that I bought another which is yet to be built.

I would have liked to have built their T-28 and AT-6 but I missed them.  I thought most of the problems with these kits were not difficult to fix when looking at the WIP's here and was very disappointed when the company failed.  The internet is a very powerful tool, and this is an instance of the abuse of that power.

Cheers,

Michael

Unbuildable I tell you. Unbuildable! 
RpN4qp.jpg

0JLPPV.jpg

My understanding is that the mold cutters took liberties and redesigned a few parts to make their job easier against Kitty Hawks objections.  For example the stupid 4 piece cowl design of the Texan. Or the separate turtle deck instead of a traditional seam down the middle of the top.  

I managed to acquire several KHM kits before and just after their demise, and before prices started to go silly, all in 1/48. The F-35b, Jaguar GR1/3, F-101A/C, F-101B, & Etendard IV/IVM. I haven't got around to building any of them as yet!!!!:rolleyes:

LOL! Like some others here I too find it amusing that many are now seeking out these kits which were slated so much in the past.  Most of the bashers probably never built any anyhow.

It would be nice to, hopefully, be able to get hold of some of the kits again but some like the Jaguars are absolute rubbish. I have build KH kits a few and in the main they can be tamed (the F-5 can look really nice but with a LOT of work) but the jag is an insult - a mere caricature at best. I wouldn't get another one of those if it was free!

Cheers

Malcolm

It’s similar to the WNW situation.  There were many opportunities for people to buy their kits when they were still in business.  Even most of the kits that went OOP were available for a number of years before they sold out.  The majority of people who really wanted there WW1 kits already bought them before they closed shop, but once they shutdown, now the people who weren’t interested enough before suddenly wanted the kits, and were even willing to pay ridiculously high prices for them.  True, a lot of people were probably just buying with intent to flip the kits, with no intention of building, but still.  If you’re really interested in any particular kit when it comes out, buy it as soon as you can, because you never know how much longer the company will be around.

Regarding KH, as far as kits go, they were decent as plastic kits.  In other words, they were generally nicely detailed, and for the most part fit well.  Most of the bad press comes from issues like accuracy issues, weird engineering design choices, poor instructions, incorrect details, etc., and not from being lousy plastic models.  My feeling of KH kits in many cases is one of frustration, and missed potential in making better, more accurate kits.

19 hours ago, quang said:

I remember not so long ago, when it was fashionable to bash Kitty Hawk (regularly called Shitty Hawk) products on ‘informed’ modelling forums.:coolio:

People are strange…

Yep, they caught a lot of flak from certain circles, and for what I always saw as pretty petty reasoning.