Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia (Mid), with Mk.I (Early) and Mk.Va announced

John Stambaugh

24 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Just shows one mans meat is another mans poison, the lack of an engine for me is a plus !

Cheers

Dennis

Yup I am looking forward to lack of engine.  I have evolved into a cockpit details are priority kind of guy.  

27 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

Yup I am looking forward to lack of engine.  I have evolved into a cockpit details are priority kind of guy.  

Indeed, but to me ‘lack of engine’ means ‘lower price’ :P

22 hours ago, DonH said:

Browsing through the instructions on the Kotare web site and I find this:

"We will cover the late-production Spitfire Mk.Ia in a future model kitset"

Oh boy!

what actually is a 'late" Mk I??

this kit should enable you to build a "regular" Mk I afaiac - unless some of those changes are associated with the Mk II?

also, is anyone else having issues entering their address / trying to order?

I saw some guys on SMCG having probs, but they were using their phones; I was having trouble on Mac using Chrome, but have no issues with any other shopping sites etc.

Edited by nmayhew

49 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

what actually is a 'late" Mk I??

this kit should enable you to build a "regular" Mk I afaiac - unless some of those changes are associated with the Mk II?

I saw some guys on SMCG having probs, but they were using their phones; I was having trouble on Mac using Chrome, but have no issues with any other shopping sites etc.

You have to pick the suggested address when you input, then it takes you to shipping options and payment. Ask me how I know...

20 minutes ago, Tolga ULGUR said:

It seems that this Mk.1 has Rotol blunt spinner. So is it possible to build Mk.IIa by adding a coffman starter blister to the right cowling? 

Kotare-Mk-1a-Spitfire-32nd-scale-3.jpg

I suspect not. Depends if the hydraulic landing gear lever is included. I used to know a lot about the differences between Spitfire Marks, but memory is fading and my references are not readily available at the moment.

Barracudacast include the later hydraulic gear lever in their Spitfire update set, so that is always an option. Assuming no other details need changing.

Edited by DonH
Added stuff

2 hours ago, nmayhew said:

I had this problem too, you have to manually type in your address, as opposed to using auto-fill. As you type your address in, it gives suggestions as to which address you're using. As you keep typing, your address will pop up as a suggestion. 

It was a head scratcher for sure :D

3 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Agreed, I like my planes to look ready for scramble - great cockpit detail and unblemished aesthetics i.e. no bloody panels off.

Each to their own ofcourse. :)

6 hours ago, jbrennan said:

Sorry to point it out Mozart but the prop is a De-haviland three blade two speed jobie. Yes I too used to wonder why the pilots were wearing a diving mask. 

regards

jon

Yes I had spotted that Jon but was pretending not to! :coolio:

1 hour ago, RadBaron said:

I had this problem too, you have to manually type in your address, as opposed to using auto-fill. As you type your address in, it gives suggestions as to which address you're using. As you keep typing, your address will pop up as a suggestion. 

It was a head scratcher for sure :D

I had that problem, only auto-filled the first line of the address, put two in the shopping cart, when they added $50 for VAT, I bailed out.

2 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

This kit is cheaper than the Tamiya Spitfires.  It’s seems $40-60 USD extra buys you an engine.  

And indeed on top of your point, this kit has raised the level of detail included from the Tamiya kit with more detail in the cockpit, wheel wells and so on.  Then I suspect that this will take a more refined look at the exterior than even Tamiya has.  You see in the parts break down additional sub parts that are designed at the minimum to eliminate panel lines.  

I think we are going to see things in the surface detail we have not seen, take a look at the extensive surface detail that is incorporated in the Border Lancaster, designed by some of the same people.  I think we are going to see a new take on surface detail that will be even more realistic than what we have seen from Tamiya.  I do not mean oil canning over the surface, someone is going to jump on me for implying that when I am not.  I am speaking in terms of subtle imperfections that may be characteristic of the spitfire and would show up typically on the surface or fine fabric detail.  

There is a cheaper option, Revell makes it.  It may be a Mark II but it is a perfect example of what it takes to get to cheap.  Fewer parts, less research, less accuracy.  If someone wants cheap that is out there.

Very exciting stuff, they clearly have multiple boxings planned and I'm sure other Mk's of the Spitfire which will sell like hot cakes and then couple that in with new undisclosed "kitsets" less the paint and glue they have in the pipeline Kotare are going to be, hopefully very successful.

Regards. Andy