Wolfpack Phantom - 8th TFW F-4C

John1

Starting to think about weapons loadouts.    Here's my subject with an interesting load:

453bHdR.jpg

Nice mix of A2A and A2G weapons.   Just so I'm clear - there is only 1 M117 on the port TER and (I'm guessing) 4 on the centerline?   A bit hard to tell from the picture.   

Also, I recall posting about the accuracy of the kit TER/MER's but can't find the post.   Does anyone know how accurate these are (also, same question about the Eduard MER/TER).

Thank you! 

3 hours ago, blackbetty said:

are you sure the centerline bombs are M117s? they look smaller and a little different shapewise...

Hard to tell.  They don’t look like MK 82’s, I’m still thinking they are M117’s.   I find the port TER with just a single 117 interesting.    Why not just mount that bomb on the MER and free up the pylon for Sidewinders?   

6 minutes ago, John1 said:

Hard to tell.  They don’t look like MK 82’s, I’m still thinking they are M117’s.   I find the port TER with just a single 117 interesting.    Why not just mount that bomb on the MER and free up the pylon for Sidewinders?   

I have the 8th TFW history at home, I'll take a look tonight and see if it says anything.  Bottom line though, Lord only knows. August-October of 1967 was really the high point of Rolling Thunder. Lots of missions being flown and not enough bombs to go around--easier to meet sortie requirements by just throwing some ordnance on vice downloading and swapping racks. Sounds crazy, but sometimes if it's not broke maintenance folks are hesitant to swap the configuration and possibly induce glitches into otherwise 'up' systems.  Just my opinion of course.

I'm guessing they're M117s as well--that was the air force's preferred weapon. A little bit more bang than a MK 82.

4 minutes ago, themongoose said:

Hey Jari I’m getting an error. Any ideas

anyone else getting this…

What happened?

The owner of this website (static.thisdayinaviation.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource

Works fine for me using three different browsers:  Dissenter, Firefox and Chromium.  

Hi John

Another photo.

The mystery bomb is outboard on the TER and appears to be smaller and different shape to the M117 next to it. I think with all the mixing of bombs putting only M117 will be totally correct.

F-4c.jpg

Cheers

Nick

2 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi John

Another photo.

The mystery bomb is outboard on the TER and appears to be smaller and different shape to the M117 next to it. I think with all the mixing of bombs putting only M117 will be totally correct.

F-4c.jpg

Cheers

Nick

That's a great picture Nick.  Where did you find it?   Aside from the collection on the Picciani website that I linked earlier in this build, it's not the easy to find good color shots of these early F-4C's. 

On the subject of armament, I think I will be going with the loadout in the pic I posted above.   Fuel tank / 2 AIM-9B with ECM pod / 5 x M117 on the centerline MER, 1 x M11& on TER / fuel tank.     On the subject of M117's, based on mutliple recommendations, I'll be going with these:

1/32 M-117 W/M131 tail fin – videoaviation.com    Never heard of these folks before but they have a very nice selection of 32nd ordinance and ground handling equip.   Best of all, 6 M117's go for 10 Euros plus shipping.   My only other option for these bombs was the Wolfpack resin sets, 2 bombs for $12.  Nice savings here.

On the subject of weapons, I'm assuming that since my jet has the AF style inner wing pylons, I won't need that TER "spacer" that's shown in Nick's picture above?