1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon?

Iain

And with this I now appear have one third of a 1:32 737-800/P-8 fuselage!  :coolio:

48b427_f655645d16e349558ffe92fe7b4d356c~

48b427_defd59fb368a4e40931daee9f9b6e4c7~

And here you can see the faulty print with some shrinkage - easily fixable with Milliput, or similar, but I'll probably re-print.

48b427_3fb4f5773612491493d69a133101fddd~

So - do I print the next section as well?  :whistle::mental:

Have fun!

Iain

All right, this is insane. I like it.

2 minutes ago, Iain said:

And here you can see the faulty print with some shrinkage - easily fixable with Milliput, or similar, but I'll probably re-print.

If there is too much shrinkage, you can try to enlage the sections by about 2-3 cm at the end where  the print starts, with a small recessed line all around between the actual part and the added "waste section". The shrinkage will occure at the waste ares, which, after printing, can be cut away along the recessed line.

48 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I thought you had been quiet for a while Iain.  We should have been afraid....very afraid!

LOL, that's brilliant mate and love your tenacity.  Sorry, it seems I was a small part of being your catalyst with that Andover!  hey, now you can do a 1/32 Bristol Freighter!!

Cheers Anthony

Absolutely! You are part of the blame catalyst Anthony - I do owe you a beer at some point!  :)

That Andover is so cool! Have to say that the HIPS is a better material to work with than the ABS.

But I do need to get back to the Andover - currently at the office, 50 miles away...  :(

Next purchase is a resin SLA printer so that I can print small, finely detailed, parts.

Iain

5 hours ago, AlexM said:

All right, this is insane. I like it.

If there is too much shrinkage, you can try to enlage the sections by about 2-3 cm at the end where  the print starts, with a small recessed line all around between the actual part and the added "waste section". The shrinkage will occure at the waste ares, which, after printing, can be cut away along the recessed line.

Indeed - just playing with that in Cura - last piece had virtually no shrinkage.

Next part is printing now - not sure how that happened!?  :)

Iain

9 minutes ago, Bruce_Crosby said:

That printer isn't fast enough!  We need more!

Bruce

Well - the next thrilling installment of 'here's the next 737 fuselage part' won't be until at least tomorrow afternoon - it's a 20hr print!

6 minutes ago, Leaning_Dog said:

Absolutely brilliant! 

I say keep printing until the money FUN runs out!  :clap2:

Cheers!

John.

Thanks John - it's all about fun!

And the filament for the printer is relatively cheap as it goes a long way.

You have given me a pause for thought though...

I think I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter that I have lots of projects on the go, or that many of them will never get finished.

From each and every project I get to play with I learn - either more about the subject, and its design and history, or new methods and techniques.

This one might just be a new (to me) technique that drives a particular subject, for a change.

I've certainly learned a lot about the Poseidon in the last few days, as well as 3D printing subtleties...  :)

Iain

43 minutes ago, Iain said:

Well - the next thrilling installment of 'here's the next 737 fuselage part' won't be until at least tomorrow afternoon - it's a 20hr print!

Thanks John - it's all about fun!

And the filament for the printer is relatively cheap as it goes a long way.

You have given me a pause for thought though...

I think I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter that I have lots of projects on the go, or that many of them will never get finished.

From each and every project I get to play with I learn - either more about the subject, and its design and history, or new methods and techniques.

This one might just be a new (to me) technique that drives a particular subject, for a change.

I've certainly learned a lot about the Poseidon in the last few days, as well as 3D printing subtleties...  :)

Iain

Great attitude Iain. Indeed much of the satisfaction is attained on the journey, and not necessarily at the destination. 

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Iain

Well said that man! I keep telling myself that as well!

What’s the wingspan of a 1/32nd 737NG out of interest? It must be huge..!

Never had an issue with shrinkage on my printer, I just spray cheap hair spray on the removable magnetic build plate and every component sticks like its life depended on it. Spray away from the printer itself to as not to mess up any components if you try this! 

Is that with HIPS Mike?

It's not really been a problem - just the one print: I adjusted the bed, gave it a wipe with Isopropyl Alchohol and upped the bed temp a few degrees before the next print.

Also letting everything cool down to room temp before I remove print.

I want to avoid hairspray etc. if I can - and it looks like it won't be necessary.

Iain

19 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Well said that man! I keep telling myself that as well!

What’s the wingspan of a 1/32nd 737NG out of interest? It must be huge..!

The 737-800 is 34.32m (1072.5mm in 1:32) without winglets.

The P-8 has the extra 'pointy' tips - giving a span of 37.64m/123ft 7¼in (so 1176.25mm in 1:32).

It's a fair size!

Iain