Survey - please share your opinion.

Rato

Folks, I'm doing a survey, and would like to hear your opinion. Very simple:

What is the most valuable paint item on your bench?

Brand and color, and say the reason: because it is oop and you have just one bottle left, because you use it a lot, because the color is on spot, or because it is difficult to find, you name it.

It does not matter if it is a basic color, a metallic paint, a clear coat, whatever, just don't mention only your favorite brand, but a specific item and why it is valuable for your modeling jobs. I will compile the answers from various groups and post here later.

BTW, mine is Floquil Old Silver. Because I love the unique shine and Floquil no longer produces Railroad colors. And I'm almost out of it.

Thank you all!

Rato Marczak
www.ratomodeling.com

It's not really paint, but its an old pot of SNJ polishing powder dating from the late 1990s.  Remember SNJ?  It was a metallic finish that slightly pre-dated Alclad, I used it, but by the time my supplies of the paint ran out, it was no longer available. 

The powder is really useful in polishing panels on NMF schemes, producing metallic effects, etc.  It's half-gone, and the rate I use it it may outlast me.

8 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

I have never used Floquil so I can't comment on that but I can't be without my Tamiya X18 semi gloss black. It makes a fantastic black base coat.

Ever since I stared building race car models, I practically have to buy X-18 in bulk. Everything is semi-gloss black on those kit!

I still have an unopened bottle of Floquil Copper and most of a jar of SNJ polishing powder. I guess those are the most valuable paints in my collection.

Ben

4 hours ago, nmayhew said:

my MRP paints - they have changed my modelling like nothing else

21 minutes ago, RadBaron said:

MRP paints are by far my favorite at the moment, but lately I've been getting a whole lot of use of Gunze 1500 black surfacer. 

These. MRP has changed my modeling game.

Mr Surfacer/Gunze 1500 black is right there = with Tamiya fine white; cant live without them un my inventory.

Mr. Color Leveling thinner.

The stuff is magic.

You can mix all sorts of paint/brands with it, and when it's combined with Tamiya acrylics in particular, and well thinned, provides really great airbrushing results.

My second place vote goes to the chromed Tamiya paint stirring sticks.  They come in a  2-pack.  Dirt cheap, perfectly engineered, extremely functional, I used them a LOT every time I paint, either by brush or airbrush.