JetMads 1/32 Viggen

Scotsman

My 10636 shipped today and is now on its way too :yahoo:

Edit: The notification email is sent around midnight, so I guess that must be yesterday actually. Whatever...

Edited by frank83

On 11/5/2021 at 5:24 PM, Dave Williams said:

I’m glad your kit is on the way Brian, but I have an issue with they way they are doing multiple kit orders.  I ordered (and paid for) two kits under order # 10584.  Am still waiting on my second kit to be shipped.

Same problem here.

Jetmads told me that in case of multiple kit orders, as its my case with 2 kits in the same order #, they shipped one kit and wait that the kit arrived safely to the destination.

Then they will ship the second kit in the same way.

My first Viggen kit arrived safely in the first half of last October... but still waiting for the shipping notification of my second Viggen kit.

I know that the main gear covers of the operational aircraft were always (?) closed on the ground. Open covers on the other hand add quite a lot visually to the already good looks of the Viggen so I plan to make them open in the diorama I will build. Someone having a quick pre-flight check or maybe a bit of maintenance, is the idea.

Jetmads have given the gear wells quite detailed in fact, considering they will not be seen at all as the instructions show them closed too. But the basics is there and it is quite a good base for adding some details and wiring, piping, hydraulics arm etc.

Still, I would very much like to see that what I plan to do is not totally fictional.

Question: Does anybody have an image of any operational Viggen, not necessarily JA, sitting on the ground with these covers open?

61.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

I can't help you with a photo, but they were indeed (almost?) never open when the aircraft was parked. They were open only for maintenance. But that's good enough, is it not? So I'd say go for it.

Most photos of the open MLG bay doors you'll find on the net are not of JAs. The few photos of JAs I have, however, show quite a few differences compared to the other variants. So check your references. And don't fall into the symmetry trap. The left and right MLG bays are not mirrored.

Cheers

Rainer

3 hours ago, mattcour said:

Question: Does anybody have an image of any operational Viggen, not necessarily JA, sitting on the ground with these covers open?

I was aware that they were generally closed but also thought that I would find at least a few before going through my archives upon your question. None! Really, there's not a single one so it is clear that they were closed all the time. Unless opened for a purpose, as you suggested.

The idea is good, you should do it as Reiner already has said.

3 hours ago, mattcour said:

I know that the main gear covers of the operational aircraft were always (?) closed on the ground. Open covers on the other hand add quite a lot visually to the already good looks of the Viggen so I plan to make them open in the diorama I will build. Someone having a quick pre-flight check or maybe a bit of maintenance, is the idea.

Jetmads have given the gear wells quite detailed in fact, considering they will not be seen at all as the instructions show them closed too. But the basics is there and it is quite a good base for adding some details and wiring, piping, hydraulics arm etc.

Still, I would very much like to see that what I plan to do is not totally fictional.

61.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

The open panels  certainly do add visual interest and its great to see that Jetmads have provided the basis for some super detailing in this area. 

5 hours ago, mattcour said:

Hi Matt,

Considering that sticky or slippy undercarriage doors have been a common ailment across a/c types for a long time, I think your ground maintenance idea makes perfect sense. The only photo I can find of an inner door that isn’t fully closed is this one:

Saab_37_Viggen_laddning_av_AKAN_1981_001

Not wide open, but not shut tight, either. If you made one of the inner doors droop a bit more to expose your detailing, I think you’d be in the plausibility-visibility sweet spot, imho.

Cheers

Adam

1 minute ago, adameliclem said:

Hi Matt,

Considering that sticky or slippy undercarriage doors have been a common ailment across a/c types for a long time, I think your ground maintenance idea makes perfect sense. The only photo I can find of an inner door that isn’t fully closed is this one:

Saab_37_Viggen_laddning_av_AKAN_1981_001

Not wide open, but not shut tight, either. If you made one of the inner doors droop a bit more to expose your detailing, I think you’d be in the plausibility-visibility sweet spot, imho.

Cheers

Adam

That´s because it is how it looks! There is like a hook keeping it up. This is the normal pic.