JetMads 1/32 Viggen

Scotsman

17 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

Do we know how capitalism works? Do we?

It seems someone is always bellyaching about price gouging for one thing or another. Then when a manufacturer or retailer goes out of business, we shed tears.

If you had the spare cash to invest in 5 kits and did so, then I would not object to you selling them for whatever the market would bear. But you might buy five kits and find no takers at that price. Not every sold-out kit is a windfall.

In the interest of full disclosure, I sold my last two WNW's kits for much more than I paid for them. Good for me. Others are doing the same. Good for them. That may offend you, but no one here owes anyone else a discounted price because we hang out on the Internet. I apologize if that sounds harsh, but what you're saying seems naive.

Absolutely right BIll and I wonder if the very same people moaning about 'market forces' in the pricing of OOP and desirable model kits like the WNW range etc. (or indeed anything in life) would be quite as subjectively naive if someone was to suggest to (them) .."OK then so on the basis of that logic, how about you reciprocate and sell me your house for the same or at a lower price than you originally paid for it...?"

Gary

3 hours ago, Gary Needham said:

Absolutely right BIll and I wonder if the very same people moaning about 'market forces' in the pricing of OOP and desirable model kits like the WNW range etc. (or indeed anything in life) would be quite as subjectively naive if someone was to suggest to (them) .."OK then so on the basis of that logic, how about you reciprocate and sell me your house for the same or at a lower price than you originally paid for it...?"

Gary

I globally agree with your point but at the same time the price of a house does not double in six months... ;) So there must be some balance somewhere between both extremes.

The point or analogy was made to expose the naivety that some folks think something should be sold for the same price or less than the buyer originally purchased something (anything) for.

In the case of the WNW phenomena Thierry, they effectively doubled in price overnight not 6 months once the news WNW were 'closing due to C19' was announced and which no-one really believed from the start anyway ..!

I think in the instance of WNW keeping consistently high prices, the main reason is that the tooling is owned by an unimaginably wealthy man who 'does not need the money' and is renowned for not selling his ideas or creations to others; indeed, I understand he actually destroyed rather than sell to other his LOTR film props worth millions.?

As such and unlike just about every other model company I can think of who have now ceased trading such as 'Kittyhawk' etc, then the tooling will be a prime asset of the company and so be sold as quickly as possible to get some money back on their original investment and outlay. With SPJ, those fiscal concerns don't apply and so if he has decided to never again "share his toys" with the rest of us, then they are most unlikely to ever see the light of day again as model kits for general sale. 

I think it is that acknowledgement among modelers which makes them so desirable and expensive and with no sign of any cooling of re-sale and eBay prices in the near future...if ever.

Gary

I don't think we are ever going to be of one mind about pricing for OOP kits. But please realize I scored on my last two WNW kits, but have a number of armor models that are effectively OOP, yet fetch half of what they originally sold for. So for every WNW goldmine, there are literally scores of old kits begging for buyers (I can sell them at fire-sale prices if I choose).

We don't even know if BNA got them from JetMads. They would not be the first retailer to buy up a lot or lots of kits and resell. I have a modeling friend who does just that. Says his business rests on the the "three Ds: debt, divorce or death." :D

Edited by Bill Cross
clarity

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Monday at 09:25 PM

47 days and counting since mine was shipped to the UK…strong contender for a new record 

HI spooky, your not alone, mine was posted same day as yours and still waiting, stuck in costoms & excise i bet

I had a parcel sent to me from Eastern Europe some time ago.  Had to wait for 59 days (tracking showed parcel stuck in Ankara) when the postman handed me the parcel (tracking still showing stuck in Ankara).

Just last November I ordered 2 books from Japan and had them sent to my Mother in Belgium.  Paid import duties in January and am still waiting to be delivered...

so you guys are not alone, and all we can do is attempt to be patient.  As they said in Shogun: try to hear the rocks grow  :mental:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 7:42 PM, Violator1991 said:

Just a quick shot, arrived today minutes before I left the office. Love the artwork!

Order 11989, the first one. Awaiting a shipment notification yet for my second order 12117.

20231205-190546.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong-couldn't find anywhere unboxing on this issue(with photos).

No profiles and no decal views,or what profiles are on the box sides-that's it?

Hi elric, 

Good to hear from a fellow joint record holder…I wonder who the other four are?

I’ll let you know if/when mine arrives

My best guess is that having arrived on a weekend the pallet was shifted into a gloomy corner of some shed and there it still sits…

Doesn’t fill me with a great deal of confidence for the Neptune and Drakens that are due to follow 

I hope JetMADS get a better response from Royal Mail than I did. :deadhorse:

I’ve got a similar problem with an order from Phase Hangar but at least RM have acknowledged receipt…twice…thirteen days apart, then tumbleweed since 25th March.

Luckily an order from Jan Kopecky zipped through without issue, phew.

To date I’ve been lucky with almost anything from Europe, China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc…sometimes even arriving quicker than domestic post…seems to be more problematical if the origin is the US and Turkey :hmmm:

Keep those fingers crossed,

Rick

(Day 72)