JetMads 1/32 Viggen

Scotsman

From Emil Lindberg whom..  Knows these things. ;)  (You can see him credited for quite a few pictures in the Squadron Walk Around etc)

The inner doors were closed after extending the gearto protect against dirt. After the engine is closed down, they hung on a small hooks that could be actuated to lower the door to access hydraulic pipes, the door to the engine's magnetic plug, etc.

I google translated his answe from Swedish, which was not exactly correct (by google! Not his answer) in a few instances so changed it to make sense. Any mistakes still there are mine..

Edit:

So, the only time the hatches hung down on the ground was if a technician checked something inside

From Emil.

Edited by Paramedic

3 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Hi Matt,

Considering that sticky or slippy undercarriage doors have been a common ailment across a/c types for a long time, I think your ground maintenance idea makes perfect sense. The only photo I can find of an inner door that isn’t fully closed is this one:

Saab_37_Viggen_laddning_av_AKAN_1981_001

Not wide open, but not shut tight, either. If you made one of the inner doors droop a bit more to expose your detailing, I think you’d be in the plausibility-visibility sweet spot, imho.

Cheers

Adam

Thanks Adam, great photo, thanks for sharing this. And this is inspiring as well. Because "loading up the cannon" may also be good dioarama subject. 

The cannon is a separate part in the Jetmads kit and luckily it is not totally solid and has a void where some detailing for the cannon like the one on this picture may be possible. I'll check if the cannon part would allow suitable separation in certain places. And I'll have to look further cannon photos if I can find.

Opening both the gear door wells and the cannon at the same time would be unrealistic most probably so I think I'll have to choose just one.

Matt

1 hour ago, mattcour said:

Thanks Adam, great photo, thanks for sharing this. And this is inspiring as well. Because "loading up the cannon" may also be good dioarama subject. 

The cannon is a separate part in the Jetmads kit and luckily it is not totally solid and has a void where some detailing for the cannon like the one on this picture may be possible. I'll check if the cannon part would allow suitable separation in certain places. And I'll have to look further cannon photos if I can find.

Opening both the gear door wells and the cannon at the same time would be unrealistic most probably so I think I'll have to choose just one.

Matt

Search for "AKAN m/75" or "Oerlikon KCA" ;) And you will find some decent pics. I have a couple from Flygvapnet´s dispalys on my computer somewhere.. Nasty shellsDifferent from the A 10s in fuze and casing metal only - well, not the same warheads but dimensions.

Edit:

Some here:

https://www.armedconflicts.com/CHE-Oerlikon-KCA-t19484

Edited by Paramedic

On 4/7/2021 at 7:59 PM, JMcD said:

As it was in 2013, when I saw it. The paint was kind of fresh then, it is not the original painting and colors.

Eight years of natural weathering seems to have given it a better looks, as the dark green is now more natural, but the light green and the tan need maybe another decade or so to come close the real thing :)  

This Viggen at the Aviodrome is also seen along with some other Viggens at the  Walk around at the IPMS Netherlands website:

https://www.ipms.nl/walkarounds/walkaround-jets/804-walkaround-saab-viggen

Hint: at the IPMS NL website, more than 500 walk arounds are presented!  

ipms-50jaar-header.jpg

So anyway, I've decided to send a request to Yahu models to consider producing one of their panels for the Viggen, but I need some LSP community help.

I surmise that quite a few of the 1000 kit buyers would prefer a top quality part, as the JetMADS one is a little sub-par compared with the rest of the kit.

Would someone with an unassembled kit be able to supply a reasonably h-res photo of the kit panel, with its dimensions annotated? I don't expect

Yahu could rush out and acquire one for themselves.

To simplify matters I'll guess a JA-37D with digital screens would be a good average subject , rather than the earlier analogue one.

Mine arrived the other day. The cardboard box it came didn't look too bad but the kit box had all four corners crushed. Checking the contents, the ladder and tow bar are broken and so is one of the wing tips. I'll see if I can find the broken pieces. If not, I'll email Jetmads. 

Carl

1 hour ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Mine arrived the other day. The cardboard box it came didn't look too bad but the kit box had all four corners crushed. Checking the contents, the ladder and tow bar are broken and so is one of the wing tips. I'll see if I can find the broken pieces. If not, I'll email Jetmads. 

Carl

That's a bit of a kick in the teeth Carl, you wait all that time, and find fate hasn't been kind, I'd email Jetmads regardless.