Matchbox 1/32 Bf109E-3 Resurrection

turbo

Hi folks, here is my resurrection of an old partly-built Matchbox 1/32 Bf109E-3. The kit was given to me by a friend who had it left to him by a housemate way back when and had been sitting in storage for however many decades. It was just what I needed to get me going again after a nearly 2 year absence from the bench.

This venerable old kit, first produced in 1977, is a piece of modelling history so I couldn't resist building it as is with no aftermarket parts and just a few tweaks to things I couldn't ignore (although nothing I couldn't have done in 1977). It has a lot of age-related shortcomings (don't we all!), but I think Matchbox did a wonderful job with the form and lines of the Emil given the technology at the time.

The scheme I chose is the mount of Uffz Karl Wolff of 3./JG 52 based in Calais during 1940. He crash landed Yellow 15 on August 30 1940 and was later shot down and bailed out over Sussex on 30 September 1940 in Yellow 14, becoming a prisoner for the remainder of WWII. 

yellow-15-d-web.jpg

yellow_15_c_web.jpg

No aftermarket items were used apart from Montex masks for painting of markings. Paints were largely Gunze and Tamiya acrylics and weathering was with oils, enamels, and salt fading. The full build thread can be found here:

So chuck on some ABBA, break out the fondue set and I hope you enjoy the trip back to 1977...

Cheers, Kirby

front-web.jpg

rear-web.jpg

underside-web.jpg

side-port-web.jpg

rear-a-web.jpg

above-port-web.jpg

above-web.jpg

rear-starboard-web.jpg

side-starboard-web.jpg

front-starboard-web.jpg

front-aa-web.jpg