1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Gisbod

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'm personally partial to MRPs DSB, but that is just me, as I like the look of the color and it sprays excellently.

Great, thanks Brian :thumbsup:

The actual end result of the stressed effect looks good to me, but just a bit too consistent, and evenly spread out IMHO.

Yep, I quite like it - you have to bear in mind that it’s exaggerated somewhat from the light above casting shadows.. it’s quite hard to see in a flat light. 

This is going to be one big birdy when done!

It’s a beast with just one wing on! 

Guy

On 8/4/2019 at 12:34 PM, Gisbod said:

). Before I spray the whole airframe - any recommendations for a technically correct match for the Sea Blue? Tamiya, MRP, Mr Colour etc

Hi Guy,  I’ve been having the same Colour thoughts!   I was going to spray mr color C365 but now I think that may be too dark for a scale effect,  I have seen a Tamiya mix (50% xf17, 30% xf8. &20% xf2). But think this may be too light,  I’m going to order Hataka DSB as this looks better,  but would also be interested to hear your view of the MRP when you have it.   Cheers. Matt

Edited by Vynce804

1 hour ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Guy,  I’ve been having the same Colour thoughts!   I was going to spray mr color C365 but now I think that may be too dark for a scale effect,  I have seen a Tamiya mix (50% xf17, 30% xf8. &20% xf2). But think this may be too light,  I’m going to order Hataka DSB as this looks better,  but would also be interested to hear your view of the MRP when you have it.   Cheers. Matt

Hey Matt, 

Thanks, haven’t heard of Hataka?! 

As the MRP paints are fairly translucent, I may end up painting a base coat in the slighter lighter Mr Color Blue 328 with an overspray of the MRP? The MRP certainly looks darker (as it should be) but I’m thinking it may be a tad too dark for scale.. I’ll have to experiment here I reckon.

Cheers,

Guy

It probably doesn’t look like I’ve done much - but its taken quite a lot of time prepping everything for painting and finishing the myriad of bits like the undercarriage, flaps and control surfaces which always seem to take longer than expected. I’d usually add all this after painting, but as it’s pretty much all the same Sea Blue colour I thought it might be prudent to take this route.

As it’s so large, I went with my go to rattlecan - Halfords grey primer - which is very easy to use on a large model, but it does, initially, leave a slightly dusty finish which requires a light sand with a fine sanding sponge, but once done, it has a tough, smooth finish.

Guy

4783-A992-AF72-4-EA4-BD5-D-F55-C20872414

24-E49-F22-8-AD7-45-ED-9323-79-C6-D14-BA

15-FE1-FB7-271-D-4-EAC-8601-7-AA0348-CA8

Edited by Gisbod

Thanks!

I’ve pushed on and I’ve pre shaded and highlighted- it may be a waste of time as the top coat will be so dark, but I’ll build it up in thin layers and see how I go!

The engine is only placed on and the wing is just resting - to see what she’ll look like...

Guy

17-B775-FB-1-FCB-4875-BEE9-22-EEAD36879-

Edited by Gisbod

4 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks!

I’ve pushed on and I’ve pre shaded and highlighted- it may be a waste of time as the top coat will be so dark, but I’ll build it up in thin layers and see how I go!

The engine is only placed on and the wing is just resting - to see what she’ll look like...

Guy

17-B775-FB-1-FCB-4875-BEE9-22-EEAD36879-

Guy, did you counter-shade depressions in the skin to make them look less uniform, less pronounced? You did, didn't you? I love it. Great work.

Adam

13 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Guy, did you counter-shade depressions in the skin to make them look less uniform, less pronounced? You did, didn't you? I love it. Great work.

Adam

I’d love to say I was that clever Adam! But no.

To be honest, there’s quite a bit of negativity towards the stressed skin effect , but having handled it close up over the last few weeks - I really like it, I think it’s very well done, and I don’t really see the uniformity of it, the fuselage in particular is very random and convincing to my eye? I think it’s great! 

2 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Guy,  looking great,  and I have the luxury of seeing you tackle the dark blue paint first!  Good luck!  Matt

Yep, you can see all my mistakes in full technicolour Matt! :rolleyes:

Talking of which, I have given it the first couple of (thin) coats (about 50% thinners in fact) of the Mr Color Blue and I’m actually very pleased so far.. all the pre painting showing through nicely.

My plan next is to overcoat it with MRP Sea Blue, which is the correct, darker midnight blue, hopefully still leaving the pre shade subtly showing through. 

The Mr Color Blue looks great, but I think it’s too light to be accurate. I haven’t seen any pictures of the real aircraft faded like the Corsairs? They all seem uniformly dark blue. Which is fine, but I reckon that would look a bit boring on a scale model. 

The MRP paints are very translucent, so hopefully I’ll be able to get a balance between the two... ;)

816-A814-B-E73-C-4-B52-B75-C-68-D10276-D

EAB0800-F-39-AC-4-D64-83-EA-ADD2-BA7-A86

Edited by Gisbod