Jump to content
Gisbod

1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Recommended Posts

Well, I’m back for a few days :)

 

I’ve spent quite a lot of time cleaning up the engine parts and I’ve finally got a coat of primer on. The engine parts fit is very good, but very tight! Hoping to get some colour down before I’m away again.

 

Guy

 

 

A319175-F-CF1-A-481-D-BA17-D1-A70524-CD9

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Well, I’m back for a few days :)

 

I’ve spent quite a lot of time cleaning up the engine parts and I’ve finally got a coat of primer on. The engine parts fit is very good, but very tight! Hoping to get some colour down before I’m away again.

 

Guy

 

 

A319175-F-CF1-A-481-D-BA17-D1-A70524-CD9

 

 

 

Hey Gisbod

 Is the engine glued together? If it is you are never going to get it onto the cowl mouting part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great Guy! 

 

According to this website, the NAVY switched to the overall gloss sea blue right around the same time as the F5 variant was released, but it mentions that some of the very first F5 variants had the older paint scheme.

 

If that is accurate, I would say you have some license to deviate away from an all blue look if you don't like that.

 

http://christophe.arribat.pagesperso-orange.fr/profil/f6f/f6f.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2019 at 7:07 AM, Madmax said:

Looking good Guy!

 

I think the debate over stressed-skin is going to become a matter of taste. Depending on light source, period photo's do seem to support Airfix's approach...

 

Stresskin-M.jpg

 

wing-XL.jpg

 

Sean

the skin was definitely stressed out of the factory. it's just that Airfix has overdone the effect by making it too uniform and ubiquitous. it's a great first step on their part and the kit seems excellent overall

Edited by thunderbolt1988

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Looks great Guy! 

 

According to this website, the NAVY switched to the overall gloss sea blue right around the same time as the F5 variant was released, but it mentions that some of the very first F5 variants had the older paint scheme.

 

If that is accurate, I would say you have some license to deviate away from an all blue look if you don't like that.

 

http://christophe.arribat.pagesperso-orange.fr/profil/f6f/f6f.html

 

Ah thanks, but fairly set on the dark blue now ^_^

 

 

19 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Guy,  your primer coat looks super smooth,  do you mind me asking which brand you use?  Cheers. Matt

 

Hi Matt & Shep, 

 

its Mr Paint 1500 surfacer and thinned slightly with their brand of thinners - sprays like a dream!

 

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

 

Your model is going to look great no matter how you paint it!

 

 

Agreed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ringleheim said:

 

Your model is going to look great no matter how you paint it!

 

 

 

Thanks, you’ve got more faith than I have! :rolleyes:

 

Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So, I think I’ve just about finished the engine!

 

I painted all the components separately, then pieced it all together - this ends up being a serious chunk of plastic! The fit is super tight, not in a bad way, in fact in all just clicks together. I hardly used any glue at all. It is, however, a complex structure and some thought and dry runs don’t go amiss.

 

The wiring was easier than I imagined, as the pipe work is very well detailed in the instructions (and colour coded), even giving you the lengths you need to cut for each section. They advise the use of 0.7mm (22 SWG) copper wire. I used coloured Artistic Wire to this diameter and it worked just fine. The holes are all there ready to accept the wire. This is even an improvement on the Tamiya kit for the Corsair - same engine near enough, where it was a pain in the **** to fix the wires to the central section. But no such issues here! 

 

An over spray of a warm brown wash tied it all together.

 

Hats off to Airfix for this section.

 

 

Guy

 

 

B717720-A-A9-D8-41-E7-BFC0-B34-E1-DAC49-

 

 

5-B7-F3-B69-4805-4-C80-AF01-9-A6-AB6-AC8

 

 

64706-DA5-1-B37-448-C-AA01-11360346-F28-

 

 

 

BA851-FDB-02-DB-4-F80-BB04-07767-DABE7-B

 

 

And a point for the multiple sections of pipe - it’s worth noting which are which during painting, as they all look very similar! I used my Gisbod Parts Separating Device (Patent applied for)...

 

 

9-FA9-ED80-11-B1-4-BE1-BB11-12-D81-CFC97

 

 

Edited by Gisbod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...