Gisbod

1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

Well, I’m back for a few days :)

I’ve spent quite a lot of time cleaning up the engine parts and I’ve finally got a coat of primer on. The engine parts fit is very good, but very tight! Hoping to get some colour down before I’m away again.

Guy

A319175-F-CF1-A-481-D-BA17-D1-A70524-CD9

18 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Well, I’m back for a few days :)

I’ve spent quite a lot of time cleaning up the engine parts and I’ve finally got a coat of primer on. The engine parts fit is very good, but very tight! Hoping to get some colour down before I’m away again.

Guy

A319175-F-CF1-A-481-D-BA17-D1-A70524-CD9

Hey Gisbod

Is the engine glued together? If it is you are never going to get it onto the cowl mouting part.

Looks great Guy! 

According to this website, the NAVY switched to the overall gloss sea blue right around the same time as the F5 variant was released, but it mentions that some of the very first F5 variants had the older paint scheme.

If that is accurate, I would say you have some license to deviate away from an all blue look if you don't like that.

http://christophe.arribat.pagesperso-orange.fr/profil/f6f/f6f.html

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2019 at 7:07 AM, Madmax said:

Looking good Guy!

I think the debate over stressed-skin is going to become a matter of taste. Depending on light source, period photo's do seem to support Airfix's approach...

Stresskin-M.jpg

wing-XL.jpg

Sean

the skin was definitely stressed out of the factory. it's just that Airfix has overdone the effect by making it too uniform and ubiquitous. it's a great first step on their part and the kit seems excellent overall

Edited by thunderbolt1988

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Looks great Guy! 

According to this website, the NAVY switched to the overall gloss sea blue right around the same time as the F5 variant was released, but it mentions that some of the very first F5 variants had the older paint scheme.

If that is accurate, I would say you have some license to deviate away from an all blue look if you don't like that.

http://christophe.arribat.pagesperso-orange.fr/profil/f6f/f6f.html

Ah thanks, but fairly set on the dark blue now ^_^

19 hours ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Guy,  your primer coat looks super smooth,  do you mind me asking which brand you use?  Cheers. Matt

Hi Matt & Shep, 

its Mr Paint 1500 surfacer and thinned slightly with their brand of thinners - sprays like a dream!

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

22 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

Your model is going to look great no matter how you paint it!

Agreed!

12 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Your model is going to look great no matter how you paint it!

Thanks, you’ve got more faith than I have! :rolleyes:

Guy

Posted (edited)

So, I think I’ve just about finished the engine!

I painted all the components separately, then pieced it all together - this ends up being a serious chunk of plastic! The fit is super tight, not in a bad way, in fact in all just clicks together. I hardly used any glue at all. It is, however, a complex structure and some thought and dry runs don’t go amiss.

The wiring was easier than I imagined, as the pipe work is very well detailed in the instructions (and colour coded), even giving you the lengths you need to cut for each section. They advise the use of 0.7mm (22 SWG) copper wire. I used coloured Artistic Wire to this diameter and it worked just fine. The holes are all there ready to accept the wire. This is even an improvement on the Tamiya kit for the Corsair - same engine near enough, where it was a pain in the **** to fix the wires to the central section. But no such issues here! 

An over spray of a warm brown wash tied it all together.

Hats off to Airfix for this section.

Guy

B717720-A-A9-D8-41-E7-BFC0-B34-E1-DAC49-

5-B7-F3-B69-4805-4-C80-AF01-9-A6-AB6-AC8

64706-DA5-1-B37-448-C-AA01-11360346-F28-

BA851-FDB-02-DB-4-F80-BB04-07767-DABE7-B

And a point for the multiple sections of pipe - it’s worth noting which are which during painting, as they all look very similar! I used my Gisbod Parts Separating Device (Patent applied for)...

9-FA9-ED80-11-B1-4-BE1-BB11-12-D81-CFC97

Edited by Gisbod