Gisbod

1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

On 7/31/2019 at 6:47 PM, ringleheim said:

Looks great Guy! 

According to this website, the NAVY switched to the overall gloss sea blue right around the same time as the F5 variant was released, but it mentions that some of the very first F5 variants had the older paint scheme.

If that is accurate, I would say you have some license to deviate away from an all blue look if you don't like that.

http://christophe.arribat.pagesperso-orange.fr/profil/f6f/f6f.html

There is no evidence to support that claim.  I’ve seen that said for years, but every single photo that purports to show a -5 in the four-tone blue/white camouflage is actually a -3 misidentified.  I don’t believe any -5 ever left the factory in anything but overall Gloss Sea Blue.

Thank you :)

I’ve finally got to that stage where I can get the major components together. This is a serious chunk of plastic! Fit is, again excellent. I had a couple of warped pieces (top wing) - but clamping sorted it out while fitting. I managed to break off one of the machine guns within minutes of fitting the top wing :blink: but that’s just par for the course..

This picture highlights the stressed skin very nicely. The leading edge of the wing in particular.

The wheel wells are Dark Sea Blue and for this I’ve been using Mr Paint Blue FS15050 - just because it’s what I’ve got and it looks about right to me (maybe a tadge light?). Before I spray the whole airframe - any recommendations for a technically correct match for the Sea Blue? Tamiya, MRP, Mr Colour etc

Are the FAA Hellcat’s that are dark blue, the same Sea Blue as the US versions?

Thanks,

Guy

2-C3-E00-A9-CA48-4-BFB-8-B29-53-B5-F3203

Looking great Guy! I'm personally partial to MRPs DSB, but that is just me, as I like the look of the color and it sprays excellently.

11 minutes ago, shark64 said:

Did u do the stressed look on the wings or the kit comes that way?

Comes OOB that way.

The actual end result of the stressed effect looks good to me, but just a bit too consistent, and evenly spread out IMHO. 

This is going to be one big birdy when done!

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'm personally partial to MRPs DSB, but that is just me, as I like the look of the color and it sprays excellently.

Great, thanks Brian :thumbsup:

The actual end result of the stressed effect looks good to me, but just a bit too consistent, and evenly spread out IMHO.

Yep, I quite like it - you have to bear in mind that it’s exaggerated somewhat from the light above casting shadows.. it’s quite hard to see in a flat light. 

This is going to be one big birdy when done!

It’s a beast with just one wing on! 

Guy

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2019 at 12:34 PM, Gisbod said:

). Before I spray the whole airframe - any recommendations for a technically correct match for the Sea Blue? Tamiya, MRP, Mr Colour etc

Hi Guy,  I’ve been having the same Colour thoughts!   I was going to spray mr color C365 but now I think that may be too dark for a scale effect,  I have seen a Tamiya mix (50% xf17, 30% xf8. &20% xf2). But think this may be too light,  I’m going to order Hataka DSB as this looks better,  but would also be interested to hear your view of the MRP when you have it.   Cheers. Matt

Edited by Vynce804

1 hour ago, Vynce804 said:

Hi Guy,  I’ve been having the same Colour thoughts!   I was going to spray mr color C365 but now I think that may be too dark for a scale effect,  I have seen a Tamiya mix (50% xf17, 30% xf8. &20% xf2). But think this may be too light,  I’m going to order Hataka DSB as this looks better,  but would also be interested to hear your view of the MRP when you have it.   Cheers. Matt

Hey Matt, 

Thanks, haven’t heard of Hataka?! 

As the MRP paints are fairly translucent, I may end up painting a base coat in the slighter lighter Mr Color Blue 328 with an overspray of the MRP? The MRP certainly looks darker (as it should be) but I’m thinking it may be a tad too dark for scale.. I’ll have to experiment here I reckon.

Cheers,

Guy

Posted (edited)

It probably doesn’t look like I’ve done much - but its taken quite a lot of time prepping everything for painting and finishing the myriad of bits like the undercarriage, flaps and control surfaces which always seem to take longer than expected. I’d usually add all this after painting, but as it’s pretty much all the same Sea Blue colour I thought it might be prudent to take this route.

As it’s so large, I went with my go to rattlecan - Halfords grey primer - which is very easy to use on a large model, but it does, initially, leave a slightly dusty finish which requires a light sand with a fine sanding sponge, but once done, it has a tough, smooth finish.

Guy

4783-A992-AF72-4-EA4-BD5-D-F55-C20872414

24-E49-F22-8-AD7-45-ED-9323-79-C6-D14-BA

15-FE1-FB7-271-D-4-EAC-8601-7-AA0348-CA8

Edited by Gisbod