WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

Manufacturers can't have it both ways; some criticised to cornering the market with announcements for future releases - Devastator anyone? - so no one else with even consider the subject, and others like Tamiya, who announce kits shortly before release.

It's business, no one's releasing a kit to complete with another manufacturer. Wingnut released the SE5a because they'd already done the work on their kit, nothing to do with Roden.

It's quite possible the WNW Lancaster is going to be the best 1/32 kit, and I will be giving myself that pleasure.

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

I most strongly disagree.

Revell's Ju 88's & He 111's are bloody good models in their own right.

I agree. The recent Mustang, Piper Cub, He Salamander, the sports gliders, the Hunter, the Lynxs, the EH135 and EH145 helicopters are stunning kits. Just to mention a few. And the prices cannot be beaten!

I think it is nice that someone has a passion for aircraft and wants to share it by producing 1/32 scale models. Good for modellers! 

I don't buy a lot of kits, but if I do, it is because I like the subject, think the quality and price are okay and that's it. I like to go to a local modelshop where you talk to some friends about the kits and drink a cup of coffee.

What I don't like is when brands announce a kit and then you have to wait for years before it is available in the shops. If a kit is announced, I understand that it can take a few months or even a year, but if it takes longer, then that's just taking a claim. And if it take too long, the brands shouldn't be surprised that another brand choses the same subject. I believe people have been talking about the Lancaster from the time when Martin, a nice Dutch gentleman was working to release the B-25 under Wing XL. That ended not so nicely and I felt for him (and still do). I've stopped waiting for so many kits. Lancaster, RAF Phantom, Su-33, F-111, ... 

I just hope we will have some nice Lancaster building reports here on LSP. Because I like more to build kits than wait for them.

Keep modelling everyone!

Nic

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

I most strongly disagree.

Revell's Ju 88's & He 111's are bloody good models in their own right.

13 minutes ago, wunwinglow said:

I agree. The recent Mustang, Piper Cub, He Salamander, the sports gliders, the Hunter, the Lynxs, the EH135 and EH145 helicopters are stunning kits. Just to mention a few. And the prices cannot be beaten!

Agreed on Revell, they like a LOT of manus seem to have their "A teams" and their "B teams". Some like Revell have gone through a lot of changes lately, and in fact do produce some fine models, like their He-163, their new P-51, (one of the best model bargains around), their air liner and glider kits are all phenomenal and very easy/nice building kits. 

Yes, some are not so great, but with just a very few exceptions there are not many manus that haven't produced a big BM of a kit at some point in their history. 

I think this is fantastic for us modellers, for a company like WNW to produce a Lancaster is fantastic, but it is not for me personally because the WNW kits will be priced above my self imposed limit of £100 and I would not have anywhere to put it.

Cheers

Dennis

The cost of WNW's kit will be important.

Judging upon their Felixstowe's & AEG's, and HKM's B-17, B-24 & B-25 prices, I suspect the WNW kit will cost a lot.

The Lanc is 50% longer than the Felixstowe, only 7 ft longer wingspan, but obviously twice as many engines - Merlins, that are very well known, so need to be correctly done - and half as many wings.

Based upon that, and allowing for inflation & exchange rates, I predict a WNW price of £519.99.

11 hours ago, Plasto said:

Hard to be annoyed when there is nothing ‘written in stone’ the WNW has to produce any new kits of any subjects. 

They made the announcement themselves!  So that kind of is written in stone.

And then they basically said "Just kidding, it's really only 1 new WWI subject!"

That annoys me.

11 hours ago, vince14 said:

Yep, all those saying that it’s a movie tie-in are clearly unaware that the Dambusters project is currently dead in the water. 

Is that true?  That makes this kit a little more unusual and odd.

I know nothing of any movies Peter Jackson is planning, other than that I probably won't be seeing them based on how he ruined J.R.R. Tolkien's work.  LOL.

The first I have heard of a Dambusters movie was in this thread; now you say the movie isn't going to happen.

Odd that this kit is going to exist then.

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

That's not good, It will stop smaller companies like HK producing these one off kits, 

WnW is also a small company.

Here is my reading of what is socially acceptable when it comes to kit releases of identical subjects.

If the second entrant is significantly cheaper this is ok. Everyone likes a bargain.

If the second entrant produces a subject not ‘normal’ for them this could be ok depending on the company and subject.

If the second entrant is owned by a millionaire film producer it’s not ok. As this contravenes a whole bunch of rules. 

If the second entrant is a small company pluckily bringing the subject to market this is ok.

If the second entrant has great detail and build ability underwritten with great research and is more expensive this is probably not ok....

What’s actually happening is we’re in the nexus of an incredible time in plastic modelling with 100’s of kits available of subjects and in scales not seen before.. Dispite that we’re not happy and filled with faux outrage and petulance on a reasonably consistent basis around new releases. 

The price of WnW's Lanc might make what I thought was an unaffordable HKM £360 Lanc suddenly seem more within reach.

But then I've usually wanted the better, usually much more expensive, kit - oh dear! 

The exception was the Revell Spitfire IX; the Tamiya Spit seemed like overkill, but I then would gladly pay the high stakes for a Tamiya Griffon bubble top. 

This is just getting confusinger and confusinger.

Tony

33 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

They made the announcement themselves!  So that kind of is written in stone.

And then they basically said "Just kidding, it's really only 1 new WWI subject!"

That annoys me.

It might be 0 Ww1 subjects or it might be A SPAD XIII.. 

We get no say in the matter. 

The Lancaster announcement squarely tell us what drives WnW’s is not market views or needs...

You have have to like it or lump it..

14 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Not sure why we have all this outcry for. HK Models is giving us a B.I/III and WnW is coming out with a Dumbuster Special version. Two different Lancs to pick from. IMHO, we now have a great choice to pick from.

Cheers

Brad

WNW will be releasing two Lancasters.