1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

• 4 weeks later...

well hello folks :)

can't believe a month has passed since I last posted an update...

I have not been idle though - I have done a lot of 3D modelling for the tailwheel, main wheels (for which I am getting help!) and the spinner (of which more later..), in between I have also released an airscale instrument panel set for the Hobbyboss 1/32 B24 Liberator and also worked with Airfix to master this airscale cockpit set for the new and mind blowing Airfix 1/24 F6F Hellcat - the decals for all the instruments & placards are in production, but the PE is done..

WIP673_zpseqqrymza.jpg

..as for the P51, when I had the Hellcat PE test shot done, I also added a load of extra P51 stuff to the fret so I make the most of one-shot production, Part of that was the stainless steel side panels that surround the exhaust ports, and I also made a fold up box structure that is the structure that surrrounds and supports the exhausts themselves..

..Also seen here are the 3D printed exhausts from Model Monkey - huge shout out for these as they are exceptional quality and amazingly are hollow so are ultra realistic..

WIP660_zpsgozd5de4.jpg

..these were folded and the details added before the boxes were added to the outer panels - the exhausts are not yet fitted so they can be painted & added at the end..

WIP659_zpskr8tjy55.jpg

..and so onto the spinner - this is one of those things that has sat in the back of my mind as a niggle since I started this build - it is unfortunately unpainted on the real aircraft so had to be made in metal - a bit like skinning a tennis ball in sheet aluminium - very tricky..

WIP655_zpshqw21wuk.jpg

..I actually bought the HpH 1/18 Merlin engine model hoping to cheat and get a good basis for the prop & spinner from that, but it is very crude - the spinner is a solid with four peg holes in it to take the blades - there is no reference to the cutouts on the real thing, so that was a 70 euro write off (though I think I can use the blades so may not be dead money...)

I restarted my Rhino 3D programme trial and got to work modelling the Spinner...

WIP657_zpsjewxhzcy.jpg

..when I went to get it printed at Shapeways, I noticed you could choose polished Aluminium so I thought well that would be brilliant as it would save lots of messing around with skinning as I could just polish the part - so at great expense (150 euros) I ordered it with the hub done in plastic..

..two disappointments...

WIP662_zps5vrkjcho.jpg

one - it's not polished at all, it is more like a carbide burr in texture, and two, somehow I got the hole cutouts wrong as two were in the right pitch for the blades and two were in the opposite pitch..

..that said - it is aluminium, and after filing & polishing is just like a cast part - don't know how they do it, but it's bloody clever..

..as the cutouts were wrong, I knew I had to skin it, so I made a tape mask and started with the lower section...

WIP663_zpsrwomhagx.jpg

..with this skin added, I taped it to the top part to mark another tape template with where the cut-out holes were on the next bit of skinning (there are 3 - bottom, lower of the top cone, and the tip)

WIP664_zps5wqnpspa.jpg

..this skin needed rows of 3 rivets adding so I made up a jig I could do this accurately with..

WIP666_zps7uqrge2c.jpg

WIP667_zpsiutkqoq1.jpg

..I was hoping after adding this I could get away with the spinner tip being the base aluminium part, but there is a lip that can just be seen..

WIP668_zpstvg081xs.jpg

..in doing the tip, I nearly gave up as turning one sheet into a fully compound curve sheath without a visible seam proved very difficult - I don't have any in progress pics, but at this point the bulk of the shaping has been done and the skin runs up over the lower part - I was hoping I could just sand & file this away for a nice close fit (I should have started with the tip & made the lower panel fit it, not the other way around..)

WIP669_zpsumrmtdsc.jpg

..once it was all sanded away, I was really happy with the result..

WIP670_zpswzwp4trt.jpg

..the prop hub was painted and added to the base..

WIP671_zpsoxzdelby.jpg

..and it is a perfect fit..

WIP672_zpspsyfni3e.jpg

..it feels great having got that done - everything else is easy by comparison :) I also have the right sheet aluminium that Brian (Out2gtcha) kindly shipped from the US on my behalf so can now start skinning the airframe..

..a milestone I think, and hopefully the start of more regular updates..

TTFN
Peter