Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind Mk 1

Iain

• 1 month later...

aeroscale.kitmaker.net - Whirlwind Nacelle Mould

”We are working on another mould for the 1/32 Whirlwind kit. Photos were taken on Friday. The first two shots show the mould before splitting. The next two images show the mould after editing. Therefore, the contact surfaces are all blue. Soon, at the latest at the Nuremberg Fair, we will show more plastic sprues for the Whirlwind kit.”
SH

002.jpg

Slowly they are getting there...

Juraj

Nice.  One I could buy.  I'm presently building their Yak 3, and it's nice to see they've corrected one annoying issue with that kit; namely that the parts aren't numbered on the sprue.  This kit has numbered parts, so a :thumbsup: to you, Special Hobby.

Cheers,

Michael

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like what I see but I also am as familiar with the plane as I am with Sanskrit. What would the rectangular cutout be on the trailing edge of the upper wing near the fuselage? Backside of the radiators?

1 hour ago, seiran01 said:

I like what I see but I also am as familiar with the plane as I am with Sanskrit. What would the rectangular cutout be on the trailing edge of the upper wing near the fuselage? Backside of the radiators?

Mike

You are correct in a sense.

The cut out is for the variable flap that regulates exit airflow for the radiators.

Edited by ironman1945

7 hours ago, seiran01 said:

... I also am as familiar with the plane as I am with Sanskrit ...

It's not the most well-known type, of course, and it has been dismissed by many as a bit of a dud, because the engines (RR Peregrines) were a constant source of trouble, and only two squadrons flew the type.  But it had the biggest punch of any British fighter of its time (4 x 20mm iirc) and when the engines weren't playing up it had a reasonable performance.  Pilots liked it, apparently, and many were posted from one squadron to the other, so they built up a wealth of experience.

I'm looking forward to this one.