Fisher Bell X-1A FINISHED.

ericg

IMG_2495_zpsqovgst4j.jpg

... it looks way better in person ....

eric, I am sorry to call you a bare-faced total liar but I sincerely doubt it could look any better - in person, in 3D, in mime or dressed in a pair of frilly knickers.....

<<<<<<..........wanders off muttering about what's the point in skinning models in actual metal when people can do things like this........>>>>>>

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks alot guys!

Onto the decal process. I usually look forward to this part of the build, as it means that it is very close to finishing it. This model has been no exception and I am quite pleased with how it is turning out. 

The decals are nicely printed by Fantasy Printshop, and feature all of the variants that existed of the X-1A and B, with clear markings as to which decals should be used for each one.

IMG_2521_zpsuspt3xzq.jpg

There are a few things that people that have this kit should have in mind when approaching this stage of the build. By a large margin these decals are the most flexible, stretchable decals that I have ever used. On top of being extremely thin, they are very hard to use and should be applied with caution, patience and with plenty of time on hand to `babysit' them whilst they set.

I have prepared my model with a very slick glossy coat of Tamiya laquer clear and that alone is usually enough to be able to slide the decals around to the correct position. I found that even with the gloss coat, the decals do not allow much movement without distorting, so careful placement is a must to ensure minimal re-positioning.

I also found that the decals will be less flexible by using cold water instead of warm water to soak them in, (opposite the best `best practice' normally used) which will help. I would also recommend not using any setting solution such as Microset under the decals to improve the chances of moving them around should the need arise. They do respond well to Microsol though in minimal quantities.\

I have finished placing the largest decals and just need to do the stencil data.

IMG_2526_zpsozdjxk4o.jpg

IMG_2529_zpsxwdbmpwl.jpg

IMG_2531_zpsldgdz1qm.jpg

IMG_2532_zpslnq7tzcl.jpg

That natural metal finish looks sensational, Eric! Really amazing for what is basically a paint job.

The hardest-to-use decals I've ever encountered was a set of old ATP Decals for a 1/144 BAC 1-11. They were stretchy beyond belief, and almost unapplyable. I had to cut the cheat line decals into about 5 separate parts just to get them on with reasonable geometry. Still managed to ruin one side. I later spoke to Clint Groves (the manufacturer) about them, and apparently they had been mistakenly printed on elastic film!

Kev

I have to agree, simply one of the best metal finishes I have ever seen......You're doing me proud there , mate!

It's a joy to see one of my babies get this sort of treatment, Susy cannot believe it's not really metal.

Makes me want to do a B-58 Hustler just to see how you'd paint it!Amazing work there....

Paul

I have to agree, simply one of the best metal finishes I have ever seen......You're doing me proud there , mate!

It's a joy to see one of my babies get this sort of treatment, Susy cannot believe it's not really metal.

Makes me want to do a B-58 Hustler just to see how you'd paint it!Amazing work there....

Paul

Paul Fisher and B-58 in the same post? now that is a combination I would love to see!

Eric.

The comments are all well deserved Eric. Where did you come up with this idea? I recall something you did similar on the Bristol fighter a while back on the linen covered wings?

The B-58 would certainly be the kit of the year.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Troy.