Fisher Bell X-1A FINISHED.

ericg

I now have the model primed using Tamiya fine surface primer. Considering barley a week has passed since the postman darkened my doorstep, decent progress has been made.

IMG_2441_zpshxt3dpbu.jpg

Now the tedious task of sorting out the imperfections starts. I take a lead pencil and mark out everything that needs fixing. I have straightened out a few panel lines leaving some filler required and the usual sanding marks etc. This model will be mostly polished aluminium, so it has to be perfect for the next stage.

IMG_2442_zpszdh8hqtz.jpg 

Amazingly fast and neat Eric!

Really does look good - another cracking model from Paul.

I have part built X-1 and X-1E models somewhere - you've inspired me to see if I can find them...

Iain

I needed to straighten out a few panel lines here and there, as well as define the wing roots. 

I cut out a small semi circle in some aluminium horizontal blind material, which allows the exact same profile to be scribed between sides.

IMG_2452_zpsh1gdzpcp.jpg

The same process was followed with the rest of the wing root.

IMG_2453_zpsvoityzvm.jpg

Onto the painting process. 

Gloss black base sprayed with AK interactive Black base.

IMG_2463_zpsqmrkdd3i.jpg

Random mottling over the entire model with AK `Aluminium'

IMG_2465_zpsqxvghnke.jpg

I then misted Alclad `Duraluminum' over the mottling.

IMG_2470_zpstm0im3vg.jpg

Some panels were picked out and masked, then mottled with other colours of Alclad according to references. I have also sprayed the tail, undersurfaces of the main wings and the keel with Mr Surfacer white 1000.

IMG_2474_zpsqjanoyeh.jpg

IMG_2473_zpsse02onk2.jpg

Thanks alot guys.

In preparation for decals I have clear coated the model using Tamiya TS-13 clear. This stuff is super hot, and will virtually vaporise most other paints but works well on Alclad. I will machine polish this coat to give the model an extremely smooth, reflective finish.

IMG_2485_zps9kic4frt.jpg

It is hard to capture the metal finish with the camera, but rest assured, it looks way better in person partly due to the 3D effect that the black basing method has imparted to the model. 

IMG_2493_zps1t37t7ch.jpg

IMG_2495_zpsqovgst4j.jpg