Why I enjoy the "old" kits.

richter111

Man, those are some fantastic looking builds!   Reminds me what can be done with old tool kits.   Its strange though............

As I get older, I seem to have less dedicated bench time...........and as such, I value my time more and more. Anymore I feel like I dont even want to deal with an older kit like this unless its a subject I REALLY love that is not available anywhere else; I just would rather spend my valuable time on things like adding after market conversion to make my model stand out.......or a more time on a cool paint job. 

Yes, the old kits still have some life in them.  Like many others around here, I've learned a few more modelling tricks since they were released, and can breathe new life in them.  This is my Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Vb, which is just a re-release of the ancient MkI with some new bits.

0020_01_zps26znlmqi.jpg

0019_01_zpsxhd6ssyo.jpg

005_01_zpsbsnfgpxm.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

Looks great! What's so inaccurate about the scheme? To the best of my knowledge, no one's really sure what colour the snake actually was, but current thinking centres around the sandy brown colour. But I've seen recent arguments that still contend it was actually red!

Kev

Looks great! What's so inaccurate about the scheme? To the best of my knowledge, no one's really sure what colour the snake actually was, but current thinking centres around the sandy brown colour. But I've seen recent arguments that still contend it was actually red!

Kev

It's just what I've heard.. I like this scheme better anyway..lol

I prefer the old kits from the 1960's. I started building plastic models in the late 1940's when they first came out. 

Although I joined the  IPMS way back about 40 years ago I never have accepted the trend to include more and more details.

Just because I may buy an occasional Trumpeter kit with 300 parts does not mean I will ever include more than 30 pieces in the built model.

Stephen

I like the old Revell kits too....I see nothing wrong with them in the broad sense...why ?, because I don't have every panel line and subtle curve of every WWII aircraft committed to memory, and those who view them don't either...they know enough to recognize the model as a Mustang or Messerschmidt and that's plenty good enough...lol. Sure they get some cleanup and a few details added in, but I don't need or want to go crazy with basic and cleanly built "display" models.( well done paint, markings and weathering is what people see,... they know not if the cockpit floor was metal or wood, or how many rivets should be seen on a wing.. :) The low price, in most cases, makes them a great value for my hobby dollar. Embrace them, enjoy them and have fun !

I love old kits!

Revell Mirage:

Looks like the MLG is beginning to bow already too. The same thing happened with my P-38; so much weight to keep it on the nose gear, the gear (nose and main), all began to eventually bow really bad, and finally collapsed completely.

Looks like the MLG is beginning to bow already too. The same thing happened with my P-38; so much weight to keep it on the nose gear, the gear (nose and main), all began to eventually bow really bad, and finally collapsed completely.

Being gee factor legs, there's no bowing there mate. Mirage main gear legs are supposed to lean inward, as depicted.

Eric

Edited by ericg

Being gee factor legs, there's no bowing there mate. Mirage main gear legs are supposed to lean inward, as depicted.

Eric

That's interesting. They look like they're curved out at the bottom (the port leg, as that's all I can see).