Westland Wyvern

Nic C.D.

Same here. Strength is what is really needed with these kind of kits. Make sure the bond between the

fuselage and wings is rigid. Use a spar or two in the wings and a strong bulkhead in the fuselage to make life

easier. A bit of plastic engineering here and there but that's the fun with vacs.

Cees

David and Cees are right, structure and strength of the kit will be important in this build. Fortunately, the plastic of the kit itself is pretty thick, so that helps! For the wings I'll probably use some metal spars - especially because I won't have them folded. 

I'm using all the books I could find as well as the Trumpeter 1/48 kit as a guide. I measured the size of the cockpit parts and upscaled them, to see if this could be a start for the interior. Here is the base:

720.jpg

It's extremely basic of course, but what is the point to detail it if it doesn't fit the kit, right? So I test-fitted this in the fuselage:

720.jpg

Well, I guess sometimes you just get lucky... The fit is really quite good! So, when I lose motivation working on the big surgery of the kit, I can always get back to working on the details of the cockpit! I guess you can expect updates on both fronts, then!

Hope to be back soon!

Nic 

Started a master for the Wyvern maybe 12 years ago and put it in a box as i thought it wouldn't do very well...Nice to see someone build one in 1/32.

I have always figured that if i got back to work on it and nearly finished Trumpeter would suddenly release an up-scaled version of their 1/48 kit. The future ain't what it used to be.

Carry on , brave soul!

Paul ( certified Wyvern guy)

Started a master for the Wyvern maybe 12 years ago and put it in a box as i thought it wouldn't do very well...Nice to see someone build one in 1/32.

I have always figured that if i got back to work on it and nearly finished Trumpeter would suddenly release an up-scaled version of their 1/48 kit. The future ain't what it used to be.

Carry on , brave soul!

Paul ( certified Wyvern guy)

Odd the way that certain not-very-consequential-in-the-greater-scheme-of-things designs have their out-of-the-loop attractions.

The sibling Lysander and the Ar 196 (both available in all major scales) spring readily to mind.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here are a few bad photos to show you the project is still alive. All the parts have been cut out of the plastic (and all need an enormous amount of work, like cutting to size, sanding, adjusting, ...)

540.jpg

The nose, which comprises of 3 parts, is well... bad. The shape is quite off, there is not much of a fit, but I'll try to make something of it anyway. The fit of the wings-to-fuselage is going to be a challenge - it would be a pity not to have a challenge in this build, right? - and sometimes, you just don't have an idea where to start. 

540.jpg

It has taken some time to figure out where exactly the landing gear bays had to come, but after a few hours and tests, I was able to cut the bays out of the lower wing part. Still looks rough, but I'm actually quite happy with it. See the fit of the joint? It's - uhhmm - a little off...

540.jpg

I did make some good progress on one off the outer wings. to give you an idea: it took me around 15 hours to get to this stage... So, I'm slow. I know! It takes a lot of testing, sanding, putty, more sanding and again, more putty. The problem with the plastic is that it is not even at all and it needed to be sanded even. Where the surface was to uneven, I used some putty - again.

I'll try to have a little more progress and try to get some better photos in a few days. 

Nic

Wow how could I miss this thread? The Wyvern is one of my favorite beast-why-did-this-get-designed this way airplanes. I also have this "kit". I essentially paused for 7 years to date after a good go at it after I discovered that I made the wheel wells too shallow, the nose is for the first prototype too long IIRC and making the props from vac blobs were a pain. This is a seriously rough kit for a very complicated aircraft. Send me your email address and I will look for my set of drawings and scan, send them. Maybe I will drag this kit out an get going again. I bought the Trupeter kit for some perspective. It was worth it.

Keep going. We all will be dead for a century before a styrene kit comes in 1/32.

Rick

• 4 months later...