Westland Wyvern

Nic C.D.

Dear friends, plastic has been cut ! I cut both fuselage halfs and taped them together to see how/if they fit. And they do, although it needs quite a bit of adjusting.

Here it is next to a Fisher Sea Fury, which simply is a fantastic kit! The difference couldn't be larger. It is going to take a lot of work to make the Wyvern look presentable next to the Sea Fury...

1k0.jpg

It does however show the size of the Wyvern. The Sea Fury is far from a small aircraft, but the Wyvern is huge!

The fuselage has some bumps in the plastic in some areas that worry me a bit, but I'll find solutions for those problems later, right? The good news is that the plastic a thick enough to work on!

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

I think the engine area has to go. Not only is it very rough, but looking at photos and comparing with the Trumpeter kit, it doens't look right in shape. Not sure yet how I will deal with it... And there's another bad located bump, right on the edge of where the canopy will come. 

Anyway, really motivated now. Hope to be back soon with more. Thanks for tuning in!

Nic

wow - that really is a 'canvas' that is going to need an artist like you Nic

One thing that might help if you haven't already is to get the plans scaled to the kit fuselage dimensions (ie length) - it may be far less of a struggle making the parts fit the plan than it might be getting an exact 1/32 set of plans and finding all the parts are slightly off

..can't wait to see this develop - and agree with Tom, that is a stunning Sea Fury :clap2:

Peter

Nic;

I'll echo the above...that Sea Fury is stunning!

I think the Wyvern is going to end up looking just as good. I'll be following this build closely as I have my first Vac form kit whispering to me from the stash to build it...the Tigger BP Defiant, so I will be picking up the tips here!

Good luck with the build!  :thumbsup:

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

How are you going to start Nic?

Cockpit first or will you get the wings sorted first to get some rvp (rapid visual progress). Problem with vacs is

that one tends to spend a lot of time in the cockpit without any sort of progress at first (that is at least my experience).

Others like Tom and Peter seem to race through the process with fantastic results. :mental:

Cees

Thank you all for your nice feedback, 

So far, I've cut all the vac parts and the big ones (wings and fuselage) are mostly usable. The most important thing I need at the moment is information and I've ordered the 4+ Publications book - that I will pick up next weekend during Euroscalemodelling. Ow before I forget: this really is a great show to visit and to shop!

What I'm doing now is cleaning up the parts and making sure they fit as good as possible. I then will start cutting up those parts; rudder, flaps, gear, panels that I want to open and parts that are not accurate, such as the engine exhausts. My biggest concern is the link between the fuselage and the wings. Don't know yet how I'm going to do that. 

With the help of the plans in the 4+ book, I hope to be able to start engraving and rivetting the fuselage and wings. And build the cockpit. 

The belly of the Wyvern is also quite complicated, and I don't have much more to go one than the Trumpeter-kit.

It's an adventure, but I'm very happy that the plastic is thick enough to work on. 

Nic

Hey Steve,

That IS a good book. It is wonderful to read, but not the best as a modelling reference. I've learned a lot about the aircraft, reading the experiences of the pilots.

I hope to show you progress soon !

Nic

• 8 months later...

Some surgery on the Wyvern. At last. The cockpit section was cut out of the plastic and I decided that it would be easier to cut out the engine exhausts too. 

720.jpg

After that, I cut out the rudder, trimmed part of the wing-section and started with drawing the panel lines on the plastic, so I can find out what needs to go where. 

720.jpg

So much work to be done...

720.jpg

720.jpg

Now, I'll start working on two fronts; inside the fuselage (where I'll do the cockpit and a few open panels) and outside, where the link between the fuselage and the wing - with the engine exhausts meeting there - will probably be the biggest challenge of the kit.

I'll keep you posted !

Nic

Edited by Nic C.D.

An ambitious project - eye opening to see the size next to a Sea Fury.

Probably not much aftermarket help either, though maybe friendly 3-D printer could help with wheels.

And you'll probably be able to use plumbers' springs to bend the tubing for the exhausts!

I'm just shooting from the hip here, but what i think would really help on the front end is if you can find a piece of Plastic (ABS? PVC?) pipe the diameter of the front of the fuselage, adjust the inner and outer diameters on a lathe or something, adjust the profile/ radius and mount that on the very front end to serve as an intake "ring".  A similar piece of pipe or tubing would make a good start for the powerplant/ reduction gear housing that pokes out the front end too.

Since the inlet is perfectly circular, this might eliminate pesky seams to fill on the inside walls too.

david