The Aircraft we would HAVE to Scratch Build Right Now

I live this life. So far in my “build  it because they don’t make it” I’m done with the 1/24 Hawker Fury, almost done with a 1/24 Bearcat, and in progress are a Me262 1/24 and an S2F Tracker 1/24. My guess is the 262 could one day be released 1/24 but until then…. 

My overall lifespan goal is just 6 of these scratchbuilds. I still love kits too! 

1 hour ago, Jim Barry said:

I live this life. So far in my “build  it because they don’t make it” I’m done with the 1/24 Hawker Fury, almost done with a 1/24 Bearcat, and in progress are a Me262 1/24 and an S2F Tracker 1/24. My guess is the 262 could one day be released 1/24 but until then…. 

My overall lifespan goal is just 6 of these scratchbuilds. I still love kits too! 

Hi Jim,

You have my full admiration for doing a 1/24 Me262. If Airfix made such a thing (and they should) I would crumble and buy it. In the meantime it is good to know you are progressing your 262. Your estimate of ‘life builds’ sounds about on the money given John Alcorn’s description of the process. Being only on the cusp of my first scratch build I can only offer my deep respect for what you have already done. Have you already posted your work on LSP?  

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul, Thanks for the kind words!  Here are the build logs. Best of luck with your first effort. I did start small for a few years doing 1/144 things (F-4J, P-3C, Bf109, F4F, Me262, Nike Hercules) then I found this site and seeing Fozzy's SE5A looked really fun to go big 

1/24  S2F Tracker

1/24 F8F-1 Bearcat 

1/24 Hawker Fury 

1/24 Me 262

XP-50 Skyrocket (dead project)

Here's the Fury RFI . No other project has made this. The Bearcat is extremely difficult in the final stages (and I'm harder on myself)

1/24 Scratchbuilt Hawker Fury   

23 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Hats off to you. While I am fine with an interest in military aviation as I am just as interested myself, I don’t understand the predominant lack of enthusiasm with civil aviation: More colorful, great variety and no purpose other than to get people from A to B. Wonderful.!

Kind regards,

Paul

I just can't find any interest for anything civilian at all.  of even unarmed transports.  No guns, no fun, I guess.

Oh I do follow you on the Bristol Blenheim.

In august 1940 RAF attacked Aalborg Airport. 12 Blenheims took off, one turned back due to technical but the remaining 11 was shot down around the airport. My dad lived in Aalborg and witnessed the raid - flak, fighters, parachutes in the air and pillars of smoke. So that raid has always been something special to us both... So I am actually contemplating scratchbuilding a Blenheim Mk IV...

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

I just can't find any interest for anything civilian at all.  of even unarmed transports.  No guns, no fun, I guess.

I can get that . About the only "civil" types I'd be interested in would be a WACO cabin[no rigging yay] a Fairchild F24,and a Howard DGA. Maybe a Stinson Reliant. You can see the trend here , all Radial engine powered [except the F-24 some had Ranger[?] engines in them, I think.

2 hours ago, Thomas Lund said:

In august 1940 RAF attacked Aalborg Airport. 12 Blenheims took off, one turned back due to technical but the remaining 11 was shot down around the airport. My dad lived in Aalborg and witnessed the raid - flak, fighters, parachutes in the air and pillars of smoke. So that raid has always been something special to us both... So I am actually contemplating scratchbuilding a Blenheim Mk IV...

Aalborg. Jomfru Anne Gård. That’s why I don’t drink anymore.

4 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Fair enough Gazza. Horses for courses I guess.

3 hours ago, Thomas Lund said:

I am thinking about it too Thomas. Kagero Topdrawings KAG07130 has a set of drawings for the MkIV. I can’t vouch for their accuracy as I don’t have my copy yet but might prove to be a useful jumping off point.

41 minutes ago, spreckair said:

I am thinking Handley Page Hampden.  Whenever I see a photo of one flying with the pilot's canopy pulled open, it just makes me smile.

Guy Gibson flew ‘The Flying Suitcase’ at the start of the war and, if one is of a mind to model his aircraft, a Hampden would have to be part of that line-up.

Kind regards,

Paul