Why Keep Threads On Topic?

I suppose another aspect to address to all, regarding why we generally like to keep a thread on topic. If not kept on point, what's the real purpose of having a topic at all? Unlike some sites, LSP currently has no "free for all" areas, and hopefully never will.

As to thread creep, this is as common as dirt on LSP, and is not generally frowned upon by staff, especially if it can be steered back on track, and therefore generally not the specific reason for a lock down.

1 hour ago, LSP_Ron said:

A thread about what could have been from a company that went out of business sometime ago is getting old, but what ever. When it turns into personal punches around "if you don't like it don't look" is where we shut it down as after over ten years being a mod here it's inevitably going to spiral south.  It's completely pointless and a bad vibe.

This. 100%. 

Contrary to what it seems some think, we are not out here arbitrarily locking threads because we don't agree with, or don't like  what's been talked about; that is not what we nor LSP is about.

Civil discussions are not just allowed, but encouraged.

As Ron said, it's when members start trading jabs, insults and telling others how to view the forums, that's when threads get shut down.

If you feel the need to go to a different forum, by all means, we have no issues with that what-so-ever. We are all adults here and free to come and go as we please. 

So brief summary:

Peter Jackson started a model company which made great models not to everyone’s taste. But then for some reason killed it off. Sir PJ hasn’t got a great rep as an employer ( I read once Unions were onto him about some work practice's which I think was seen as a heresy or reasonable, depending). 

Q- is PJ going to read or even care about this forum? Seriously doubt it. 

Comment: Good to have a balanced view of PJ but no point banging on about it. Old news really, but educational for some who aren’t up with it all I guess. 

If comment says ‘if you don’t like it don’t look’ a thread will be locked by mods because they perceive it will inevitably spiral down. Threads about WNW are ‘getting old’.

Q- is this level of sensitivity applied to all threads ? Could be misperception but don’t think it is. 

Comment: Mods are sick of this particular topic and any negative comments triggers thread kill. 

Edited by Pup7309

44 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

So brief summary:

Peter Jackson started a model company which made great models not to everyone’s taste. But then for some reason killed it off. Sir PJ hasn’t got a great rep as an employer ( I read once Unions were onto him about some work practice's which I think was seen as a heresy or reasonable, depending). 

Comment: Good to have a balanced view of PJ but no point banging on about it. Old news really, but educational for some who aren’t up with it all I guess. 

If comment says ‘if you don’t like it don’t look’ a thread will be locked by mods because they perceive it will inevitably spiral down. Threads about WNW are ‘getting old’.

Q- is this level of sensitivity applied to all threads ? Could be misperception but don’t think it is. 

Comment: Mods are sick of this particular topic and any negative comments triggers thread kill. 

Did you actually read anything we wrote?

Obviously not. 

2 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

So brief summary:

Since I am the mod that locked the thread, after discussion:

The thread being locked had nothing to do with WNW or content whatsoever. It was locked because the thread was degenerating into a bicker-fest between members, with no positive contribution to the topic. That is what gets threads locked.

14 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

The thread being locked had nothing to do with WNW or content whatsoever. It was locked because the thread was degenerating into a bicker-fest between members, with no positive contribution to the topic. That is what gets threads locked.

Thank you for protecting us from posts that some might find to be annoying.   To paraphrase a very old quote - To save the thread we had to destroy it.  

Sarcasm duly noted. Civil discussion is fine. Differences can be discussed with out any nastiness, or un-civil language. We used to do that as a society. I'm not sure where that ceased, but here, at LSP civility is expected to be the norm. For all members. Given the average age of LSP mrmbers is at least 45 years, I do not know why this even has to be said out loud. Any that feel the moderation or expectation is too high, needs to make some choices. 

On 3/17/2024 at 8:44 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Did you actually read anything we wrote?

Obviously not. 

I made a factual and honest reply. 

Edited by Pup7309

22 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Sarcasm duly noted. Civil discussion is fine. Differences can be discussed with out any nastiness, or un-civil language. We used to do that as a society. I'm not sure where that ceased, but here, at LSP civility is expected to be the norm. For all members. Given the average age of LSP mrmbers is at least 45 years, I do not know why this even has to be said out loud. Any that feel the moderation or expectation is too high, needs to make some choices. 

As someone who deals with the values of younger generations coming through - yes there is an indifference to authority but there’s also expectations about transparency and perceived bullying. So while I understand your feeling of loss of control, would suggest this isn’t worth getting worked up about. Sometimes there’s more than one way to look at things. Easier said than done I know. 

Edited by Pup7309

On 3/17/2024 at 10:03 AM, LSP_Ray said:

Ive re read the thread in question.( to be fair and without favour) 

A topic was started. For 2 .5 pages it was just a usual -positive- conversation between 1/32 ww1 enthusiasts then one or two members flamed it with negative comments. The OP questioned firmly why they were doing it. It was locked shortly after that somewhere on Page 4. Whether it was locked or not cannot be questioned here. Nor the motives for those making the comments. But why the people making negative comments were not cautioned or comments removed I think is the question being asked by those who were one moment in what they felt was an positive, engaging conversation then the next locked out.

Edited by Pup7309