3D Printed McDonnell RF-101A/C Voodoo WIP

scjh

Hello LSP,

The McDonnell F-101 Voodoo seems to be a popular aircraft subject.  However, with multiple versions with their different roles (fighter/bomber, photo reconnaissance, interceptor), one's favorite Voodoo may be different from the next person's.  To me, the definitive Voodoo is the RF-101A/C with the elongated wedge photo nose.  It is the only version that saw actual combat, and the version flown by the ROCAF.

This project started back in 2018, mostly as a shape study of accuracy of existing kits.  I built the ancient Hasegawa 1/72 RF-101C kit and started on the Koster/Monogram 1/48 conversion many years ago.  When the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Voodoo kits came out in 2014 and 2018, I was disappointed to learn about the various issue of the kits (kudos to all those who overcame the problems).  I set out to see what I can model with the help of historical and walk-around photos of the RF-101A/C (special thanks to Akira, Jennings, phantom, Patrick, and Clarence), factory drawings from Ron Downing's Aviation Archives blog, and numerous books.  The exploration also involved photogrammetry, using multiple photos to recontruct 3D models.  The large parts are 3D Printed in FDM and small details parts may be printed in resin.  The design will evolve over the build, as the model is more developed in some areas over others.  The intakes/wing root is roughed in at this stage.  Hopefully there is enough to build a decent represenation of the RF-101A/C.

SC

XRU1vF.jpg

HweeHp.jpg

Edited by scjh

Thank you Jack and Hans!

9 hours ago, Grunticus said:

Bloody awesome! Such a beautiful aircraft... Do you have a scheme in mind for it yet? Good luck with the progress, I hope this will be a success. Followed!

Thank you Grunticus!  There are so many great schemes to choose from.  I will probably start with this ROCAF RF-101A Block 25 54-1503/652, with Sun Run record setters and SEA schemes possibly in the future.

0aTsVo.jpg

8 hours ago, quang said:

One of my favourites. As a schoolboy I remember seeing the first camouflaged Voodoos flying in pairs over our home in Saigon like giant green lizards.

Interesting to note the difference in the nose shape between your model and the Kitty Hawk kit.

Hi Quang, I still remember the howls of a pair of F-104s flying overhead when I was in elementary school.  By the way, I followed your KH RF-101C build on Britmodellers.  What an inspiration!

As you probably already know, accurate drawing of these historical aircrafts are hard to come by.  Even with manufacturer drawings, one has to be careful of image warping, distortions, obsolete designs, typos, etc.  This model has been refined over the years, based on historical drawings and a few hundred photos.  In order to help verify drawings, I started using photogrammetry.  I took over 400 photos of the RF-101A 54-1506/5658 (over 200 from the front).  Also a few fellow modelers helped with photos of the RF-101Cs at Pima and Warner Robins.  So while not prefect and completed yet, the shape of the photo nose fuselage should be pretty good.  Major fuselage and wing cross sections also were constructed with information from historical documents.  The ONLY drawing of the photonose I've come across that is accurate is Loft Sheet #20-1/#20-2.

iqLzn3.jpg

This is a screenshot of the photogrammetry software I used.  The little blue camera icons are the re-constructed camera positions.  I had to stay outside of the rope around the display.

LKwuTB.jpg

This was my setup.

7blkVD.jpg

And a few comparision of of 1/48 kit and conversions sets.  From the top, C&H, Kitty Hawk, Koster, and mine. 

ktR6vW.jpg

SC

Edited by scjh