Trumpeter F-14d

chrish

Posted (edited)
On 1/1/2024 at 5:59 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Oooo!  Double thumbs up for those smoking rivets back by the RIO pit.  Rarely see that on a model even thought most airplanes have ‘em.

Thanks! my references suggest the smoking rivets are quite obvious on old Tomcats, I would like to add more but don't want the thing to look like it should be in a junkyard.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:21 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Terrific!

Fast work too Chris.....the paint and weathering are top notch.

Thank you very much! I was looking at pictures that show glossy/polished 1/2 circles in certain areas...had me wondering till I saw an image with RBF flags installed and the light came on. I'm wondering if/how to recreate these polished spots on the model

Meantime...I was farting around with the gear doors planning on fitting cabling from antennas to the insides of the gear bays when I noticed Aires slots inside the gear bays didn't line up with the hinges on the gear doors. A little head scratching then Tamiya razor saws to the rescue.

The right gear door as is, the left has been modified by cutting off the hinges and relocating them (only the middle and back hinges)

As well, I'm trying to make hinges for those little stub doors behind the nose gear main doors

KpMT5Dd.jpg

the right side being modified as well here

Er9RHco.jpg

now they fit and re-painted

LhWpEpU.jpg

also working on the drop tanks

WOojUYl.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by chrish
typo

Thanks for the encouraging comments!

I was going to make the wheels all black and sooty but looking at pictures would suggest this idea was wrong. most pics show the planes to have clean wheels (sooty on the back, possibly from brake dust?) so I went a different route suggesting newish tires and recently cleaned or serviced wheels, being semi gloss white. Gold paint for bolt/nut heads and semi gloss black tires. a splash of blue for the grease cap.

ntbdIqs.jpg

NwfYHHP.jpg

and gear doors and wheels installed

7GbgwKE.jpg

still need to paint the black trim on the catapult bar

X8iyB0W.jpg

Thanks for looking

I spent a some time debating weather or not to install the drop tanks, probably will but not till later (near the end) as it's already getting hard to handle the model without endangering something already installed and breakable.

I had to drill the tanks to fit Zactos mounts as I'm assuming Zacto has the fittings in the right places as opposed to the kit parts. A test fit of the tanks is encouraging at helpin make the model look busy. 

The rear mountig hole is untouched but I added a cutout for some kind of connector on the Zacto mount. The front mounting hole is moved forward and enlarging the original mounting hole for the other (front) fitting

8IbIDHL.jpg

And in place

qgLlHOX.jpg

pylons and Reskit short range weapons in place

9cP8MZE.jpg

NR0egEz.jpg

Thanks for looking

wings and top covers glued on A bit of a struggle but nothing to bad yet. I managed to break off one Phoenix and one gear cover in that drama. A bit of Vallejo shown here on the visible open seams. A couple of steps at joints will need sanding but that should only help add to the rough look...right?

the right side

nWmX6vT.jpg

the left side

bAzDUHe.jpg

n98uE42.jpg

Thanks for looking

dealt with seams, all in all not as bad as I'd expected but not finished yet either...

The canopy and windshield have come in for attention now for paint and glue. The p.e. hud has been glued in and the windshield glued to the model and seams filled/painted

nfHWoP9.jpg

2Kp084W.jpg

Yv4FnVW.jpg

right side picture and all the pieces I've broken off dealing with wing joining and seam filling

wbCJPrd.jpg

Not much left now. Repair the broken bits, add the probes, canopy and tail pipes...tailpipes may delay the completion awaiting replacement parts from Reskit

Thanks for looking