Trumpeter F-14d

chrish

14 hours ago, Grunticus said:

Chris, I have to say your paint work looks very convincing for a Tomcat of that era. Really well done!

Thanks very much!

I've got a splash of paint on the wings as of tonight (between bouts of over eating)

9bZ5LO6.jpg

f3wPPwy.jpg?1

Thanks for looking

Well I've also just discovered this having no idea how I missed this. I have the Tamiya 1/32 kit and your build is inspirational (albeit I know a different kit). Ihere in the UK, I'm sat outside having coffee at about 6 degrees Celsius engrossed in the posts. My wife thinks I'm mad and making her feel cold looking at me. Having managed to get the Tamiya kit for £55 GBP, this gives me scope for AM additions. Keep the progress coming please:clap2:.

I wanted to see what the beast would look like all together, the wings slip fitted to the axles and the covers sitting on top

1zWF9R9.jpg

And some Alclad polished aluminum/ stainless steel added to the leading edges and gun port, I wasn't sure if the tiny rectangular cutout on the gun port was metal or gray but pictures seem to indicate metal color

2JmZNIn.jpg

and just for a bit of color I've mixed German gray with Khaki and sprayed the fin tops. Mottled with German gray/ NATO black, some pictures show color, many just gray...

zoY2yQF.jpg

Thanks for looking

I bought CAM (Custom Aeronautical Miniatures) decals for the build, specifically VF 2 Bounty Hunters but the decals may be old or just plain poor (never used them before) the decals wouldn't lay down on the model or stick to it if they did lay down. After trying a few different kinds of decal solvent solutions I gave up, ripped them off the model and threw the remaining as yet unused decals in the trash and resorted to plan B...the kit decals. I should've just used them in the first place, they went down nicely and have created no real issues, other than being almost exactly the same color as the gray paint and not the option I wanted to build.

the CAM sheet (now in the bin)

F3Eev9W.jpg

stenciling in place...can you see it?

05qkJot.jpg

Trumpeter kit decals on and, drying

7WKKNsR.jpg

BmZVBVu.jpg

dQNwEsZ.jpg

gloss and weathering to follow...ya, more weathering and dirt

Thanks for looking

Thanks for the views and the comments!

I've gotten round to adding some weapons and dirt to the model

This shot shows the additions to the rear of the fuselage/ beaver tail and phoenix pylons and phoenixes in place.

yfyIaSH.jpg

paint touch up needed here and there

Ikh4QpM.jpg

It was pointed out to me earlier that I had too much white in the intakes, although I can no longer fix them properly, I've added more gray...lighter than the lower gray but still...it's gray

3RJ2kPK.jpg

10zt0Qw.jpg

and the fun continues...

Thanks for stopping by

Still making headway on the big cat. I noted during browsing the reference images (I do pay attention now and then) the insides of the gear bay doors weren't a true white, possibly heat stained? anyway they looked a bit more tan than white so...I added some Tamiya "Buff" to white then re-shot the gear doors here's a kind of before and after with the discolored one on the left;

EZJ9A9z.jpg?1

weathered, dirtied up and set aside for now;

kuNsx09.jpg

Still undecided on the nose gear, although I'll need air crew for the short oleo;

liQ4709.jpg

and the long leg;

fpzKLeC.jpg

A nice addition from Reskit are separate tie down anchor shackles so a person could in theory...tie the model down to a base with chains.

4A4qJb8.jpg

Thanks for looking