1/18 Scale P-51B 3D Print Build

JayW

Gorgeous!  Very realistic looking cockpit details and what I really like is the wiring.  Straight Lines, just like they should be rather than twisted bundles like so many of us modelers do, because it's easier.

Cheers,

Chuck

Good lord Jay. That’s amazing. Those Dzues fasteners are amazing.

Seriously a gap a few hundredths of an inch? On an airframe assembled mostly by hand in wartime? Don’t be so hard on yourself. You’re breaking some serious ground here and it’s a joy to follow. Humbled that we mere mortals get to watch you and the various Pete’s perform magic…

There are so many things to enjoy about this model Jay. 

For some it will be the design and construction. For others, perhaps the incredible level of detail and accuracy. Some, like me, will enjoy the subtle colour variations between cockpit components or the occasional gentle, ultra realistic imperfections of the metal surface. 

For most of us though it will be all of these things. 

Once again you are displaying a mesmerizing wealth of skill that is hard to comprehend for a model kitset assembler like me. 

This model  serves as a wonderful illustration of why modellers like yourself prefer the larger scales. 

Indistinguishable in cropped photos from the real deal. 

Brilliant! :bow:

Your jigs are as good as your models Jay!

I still can't get my head around finishing sub assemblies and joining them, rather than skinning a whole - it takes an infinate amount of skill to do that - much more than I have :)

Looks so real it's mad

Peter

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

A gap where the cowl and fuselage meet??  You???  No wonder the detonator box looks so surprised!

True!!  Every time I see a detonator box it reminds me of a face with bloodshot eyes.  

3 hours ago, airscale said:

Your jigs are as good as your models Jay!

I still can't get my head around finishing sub assemblies and joining them, rather than skinning a whole - it takes an infinate amount of skill to do that - much more than I have :)

Peter - as you of anyone can attest, digital design and 3D printing opens up a new world to heavy lifting modelling where scratch building is used alot (in this case the whole model!).  For this project, the Rhino program allows me to design tooling right along with the actual parts.  I can fit and check clearances, and know that critical points or surfaces of the tool or fixture or jig are spot on relative to the parts or assemblies I want to use them for.  It's so easy - building them is not a big deal.  I used alot of jigs and tools on the Corsair too, as you might recall, and I could only have done it with Rhino or some other digital design program.  Man - to do that R-2800 over again in Rhino and 3D print......maybe one day.   

Anyway - yes you have let your angst be known before about matching up complete skinned sub-assemblies.  The concern of course is skin panel gaps at the interface.  I share that concern, but for me I have to weigh that against skinning a much larger model later on, where there are more things to break.  Skinning, after all, especially compound contoured stuff, is a heavy-handed undertaking.  On the Corsair, I broke off landing gear doors umpteen times during that build - most of it due to skinning the wing after the doors were already installed.  What were once beautifully done door hinges are now globs of CA.  And, the landing gear were subjected to terrible risk and I am dam lucky they didn't break off.  Those parts just didn't lend themselves to later installation, so I was left with decisions to make on sequencing of skinning operations.  That's just one example.  That said I will admit right here that skinning the engine cowl early on was less about that and more about being impatient to see what a blue-nose Mustang with "Cripes a Mighty" on the side looked like in the flesh.  Now I live with the consequences.   However, my point about the wonders of digital design and 3D printing - it all improves accuracy to the point where completing a sub-assembly and skinning it has a better chance of matching up well with another sub-assembly.  Not an infinite amount of skill; just the advantages of latest tools.

I added a strip of .01 x .03 plastic to the main jig front surface that is common to the aux nose jig.  And that fixed the out-of-flat condition I described last post, after a fashion.   That joint is just a bit flexy, and I hesitate to really torque down the two nuts that hold the two jigs together.  They are plastic after all.  I just have to make sure the two jigs are on a good flat surface as I monkey around with this skin joint.  Anyway, that improved the gap between engine cowl and forward fuselage - take a look:

Cp7JLfFh.jpg

8xuwgpBh.jpg

I can sure live with that!  Note I have finished off the skinning of the windshield surround panels.  They now match up pretty darned well with the engine cowl.  Skinning is so rewarding - here is one of the three panels just before bonding:

nQe3nInl.jpg

Lousy picture.....sorry.   So feast your eyes on the fully skinned gleaming natural metal windshield surround - next time you see it, it will be mostly blue:

MymNljRh.jpg

ZNRLHbvh.jpg

Now off to do electrical boxes and such.  Then, that blue paint.  Stay tuned.

Edited by JayW

Hey Jay,

Can we get a glamour shot with the entire new nose shimmed a wee bit closer and with the new upper fwd windshield panel attached but not a micro close up?  More like the previous set of pictures showing everything assembled to date?  This is looking so good. I keep coming back to it.  

Many thanks.  

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

Can we get a glamour shot with the entire new nose shimmed a wee bit closer and with the new upper fwd windshield panel attached but not a micro close up?  More like the previous set of pictures showing everything assembled to date?

OK Troy:

SeJhQxLh.jpg

81h2RM1h.jpg

oxVWls4h.jpg

This is going to be a long journey.