1/18 Airacobra 1 - AH601

airscale

• 2 weeks later...

evening ladies :)

been getting a little more done...

..the rudder pedals and structure is nicely detailed in drawings..

CF8tzw.jpg

..and from here a bunch of parts were made up, including pedals, hangars, brake cylinders and the support beam..

O9qoUP.jpg

..which were assembled, painted and given some scuffing..

T3qR0N.jpg

7arWdO.jpg

..that structure then mounts to a forward bulkhead with 'bins' in it for the pedals to traverse into..

MAke0P.jpg

..I also made up the control yoke and cover from brass and thin sheet lead and while the paint was out painted everything what i thought was 'bell green'. I tried the hjairspray thing and had painted everything YZC first but for some reason it didn't make any difference and the MRP paint is well and truly on there...

CUgzOu.jpg

..the canvas cover was quite hard and sits under a retaining clamp as per the original - when the yoke is installed I will tidy up the join at the stick..

C88uMJ.jpg

..painted and scratched up the seat..

tgIL0V.jpg

jLZVuI.jpg

..and the main structure is starting to come together..

NgHUmp.jpg

PGpdE1.jpg

Wh5WiN.jpg

Hi3M8s.jpg

PzJyXF.jpg

sjfpt2.jpg

lots still to do in there :)

TTFN

Peter

This build is leaving my senses befuddled and unable to express myself clearly.

My smack is well and truly gobbed!

No, that’s not right…

My truly gob is and well smacked!

That’s not right either…

Gob truly is and my well smacked!

One more go…

Smacked and gob well my is and!

I give up….

I’ll just say brilliant! :lol:

The thing that gets me Peter is the casual way that each step just seems to appear.. Here's the full set of pedals, here's the control column, here's a fully built and weathered metal set..

You make, what would be to me, totally impossible, just seem so easy and common place. 

It just impresses me so much. But more than that, it absolutely inspires me to do what I can do as well as I possibly can and keep pushing to be better.

eveening folks :)

On 6/21/2023 at 7:52 PM, scvrobeson said:

The rudder assembly looks awesome!  Not sure if it's just me, but the control stick does seem a bit small. It's probably correct though using your research

Matt 

Thanks Matt - yes, you are right, it is just placed in the boot so nowhere near it's true position :)

On 6/26/2023 at 3:09 PM, Paulpk said:

Such an interesting approach to this model. I assume you are going to litho skin this?

Is rivet detail too small for printing?

Great work:clap2:

Thank you :) yes, it will be skinned in litho - i think you could print parts with rivets, but it would use a LOT of resin to do that so i prefer to print in cheap HIPs for the shape and then skin it

so a random wander around what has been going on lately...

I 3D printed a buck to vacform the windshield, upper canopy and rear glass and then filled the buck, sanded, filled a few more times until I had a master good enough to cast in resin...

IIHF2v.jpg

rSCHQD.jpg

I will try and get this vacformed as it is too big for my little dental machine..

..then I made the instrument panel mounting frame and two emergency door release handles..

iG0ocO.jpg

..then I built a small house..

TXzL74.jpg

..in fact, it is a jig to hold the cockpit skin as I thinned it so much it was transparent, so with it in place on the airframe, I built a jig around it so I know when I am done it will fit right back into place..

..then I skinned the inside and started detailing it..

fSKatw.jpg

..on this side is the throttle mount sticking out into the door aperture..

5lqOA0.jpg

9ZRGCq.jpg

..and the other side..

b4zVqX.jpg

..I rolled out a strip of lead until it was super thin and then stuck down templates for all the seatbelts needed for the RAF sutton harness..

7KiSm5.jpg

..these were then assembled with PE hardware.. here seen with maskol on the PE bits..

qI27lu.jpg

..and painted & added to the seat..

R4Lyuh.jpg

EWTKfJ.jpg

..the seat was added to the rollover bulkhead, and that bulkhead added to the skin in the jig - this gave it enough strength to be able to cut most of the jig away..

JqzVZE.jpg

JzS2QU.jpg

DA7Fxr.jpg

..and finally, these are all the components prepared for the throttle quadrant..

J6LOuB.jpg

..and after assembly..

8gDOet.jpg

HV9Cv2.jpg

..and where it sits on the mount..

D2JqAK.jpg

..I should get the instrument decals next week, so soon I will get to my favourite bit of any model - the instrument panel :)

TTFN
Peter