1/32 VF-111 F-4B (F-4B conversion with Folded Wings)

Marcel111

I thought I'd show some of the work I've done on this project. I've used the Cutting Edge flat wing, however, I think I would have gotten a better result, faster had I just cut out the bulged section in the Tamiya wing and replaced with flat sheet.

I conceived and specified the wing hing parts, a friend of mine then drew and printed them.

This 1st sequence of pics show the primary hinge parts as well as the lower hinges which have tiny holes in them, they replace the kit parts.

Note that the hinge line is offset to the inside wing section. I've conceived the outside wing hinge teeth to sit on the inside surface such that no cutting of plastic is required.

XKrl4I.jpg

Inside wing hinge row.
2065bb.jpg

The Tamiya kit provides these hinges but they have been replaced with hinges featuring tiny holes.
OLEbeK.jpg

Hinges and detail assembled. As an aside, the Cutting Edge wing has no rivet detail, I've added this (although it's barely visible in this pic).

84e7Ut.jpg

Note hollowed-out flaps

K1o4b5.jpg

oh95oz.jpg

The teeth interlock perfectly

iQtoKp.jpg

T7xeXS.jpg

This is how the Sierra Hotel exhausts are looking:

vl9BKd.jpg

36hFyu.jpg

Jan Kopecky's excellent hot section is assembled on:

Lng5BD.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

• 8 months later...

Since I have been calling in research favors to help me with this build, I thought I'd show some quick phone-pics. Contrast of these pics is a little excessive.

Almost everything, including the shark eyes, has been masked and painted, and not decalled.

EOaABO.jpg

VF-111 F-4B's looked really weathered and worn towards the end of the '72 cruise. The yellow touch-ups are as per a period pic.

KbhljH.jpg

o6ONKI.jpg

rWjnjp.jpg

I struggled fitting the exhausts, the fit looks clean and symmetrical but the fairing/nozzle transition isn't 100% accurate, unfortunately.

One thing that did work out is the separation I scribed between the horizontal stab and the slat, the gaps are really consistent (not the case on my other F-4 builds).

7WOIz6.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

I think the patchwork coloration of the grey is particularly well done - and captures one of the effects I would love to replicate on my Swiss F-5E. The overall appearance is messy and neat at the same time which is really hard to capture! Brilliant masking - very accurate. The pinstripe orange is a testament to that. Really appreciate you sharing these pics as they are quite inspirational for me.
Cheers, Tony