Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........March 2024. All done

geedubelyer

Picture the scene: A modeller sits alone at their bench. Spread before them are the tools of their hobby, cutting implements, sanding sticks, paints and brushes. To their side sits a large cardboard box containing frame after frame of extruded plastic parts. After admiring the artwork the modeller tentatively removes the top of the box and peers inside. 

Their imagination pictures all of the joy that creating their next model will bring. All of the plastic fondling to be had and the hours of pleasurable work and toil before them on the journey to the completed kit.

Our modeller clasps their fingers together, extends their arms and with a crack of knuckles is ready to begin.

20230114_121406_2.jpg

Hi everybody, good to see everyone. It's been a while.

If you've been following any modelling channels or visited any modelling forums over the last month you probably know all about the new Airfix Spitfire.

This latest 1/24th scale offering follows in the footsteps of the Mosquito, Typhoon and Hellcat and has been generally well received. 

It's not Airfix's first large scale Spitfire of course but it dramatically moves the game on. 

The model reminds me of an upscaled Tamiya kit. The designers' approach resembles that of Tamiya although I doubt anything was copied. 

First impressions are very favourable. The parts are well packaged and crisply molded. 

In keeping with tradition assembly begins with the cockpit and in this scale one is almost obliged to go to town. 

To help me in this regard I've enlisted the assistance of Airscale's new cockpit enhancement set.

20230114_121451_2.jpg

So with the introduction out of the way it's probably time to cease procrastinating and actually do some modelling. 

Wish me luck, I'm going in!

Cheers. 

Edited by geedubelyer

As discussed, the build suggests beginning in the cockpit and in particular, the seat. 

20230114_144223_3.jpg

So the first six steps involve assembling the seat (although I will be skipping step #5 as I hope to use aftermarket belts).

The parts look sharp on the sprues but there is a notable amount of flash present on the ejector pins. 

20230114_144253_2.jpg

20230114_144300_2.jpg

20230114_144323_2.jpg

As a bit of fun and by comparison, here is what the 1970's era kit looks like for the same parts. ^_^

20230114_163634_2.jpg

Quite a difference :blink:

We get to use parts from the Airscale set immeadiately on the seat side supports. 

20230114_144759_2.jpg

These are attached directly to the plastic part and give some lovely rivet detail. They fit to perfection too. 

Before I glued the parts down I've decided to hollow out the support to create a bit of depth. 

20230114_162850_3.jpg

Does it make any difference or will it even be seen? Time will tell. I opted to try the technique on the right hand side first because I am extremely rusty and ddn't want to stuff it up as soon as I've started! :P My hands and fingers won't do what I want them to so it may take some time before I'm back up to speed. 

However, it felt good to get back to the bench and I'm excited to glue some bits together and start splashing paint around. 

Cheers.

Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome back. ^_^

I do feel a need to manage expectations a little though. -_- 

It's been a wee while since I picked up any plastic and even longer still since I built something "properly". I made a couple of car models during the pandemic and before that I was dabbling with a GW 40K kit but the last time I touched a large scale plane could be literally years ago :o

We're all a bit older more seasoned now, in some cases (mine) eyes are not what they used to be, fingers don't seem to want to do what the brain demands and techniques are almost forgotten. In hindsight this Airfix uber kit might not have been the wisest choice for my return :hmmm:

:lol:

Oh well, I'll do what I can. The enthusiasm is high, the determination is set and you guys have got my back. What's the worst that can happen? :blush:

I'm itching to get back to the bench so back soon with more.

Cheers:)

5 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

We're all a bit older more seasoned now, in some cases (mine) eyes are not what they used to be, fingers don't seem to want to do what the brain demands and techniques are almost forgotten.

I designed some particularly tiny bits in that cockpit set just for you Guy :)

Great to see you back

Peter

Thanks Peter <_<

:D

In truth, I've only used two pieces from the set so far and I'm already in lurve:wub:

There's little doubt your upgrade set will be the making of the cockpit. 

(I am, however, compiling a list for your future "upgrade set II" :whistle:)

;)

The seat is together and I'll post a couple of images later along with some thoughts. 

Back soon. 

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi Richard, that's excellent. It would be great to compare notes as you progress. 

You'll love the Airscale set. It's superb. 

That reminds me, I need to get the Airscale Sutton harness set too. Unfortunately due to it's popularity it's out of stock everywhere. Hopefully Peter will get more in stock again soon. (where's the "fingers crossed" emogee?)

So I had a pleasant spell at the bench earlier and managed to assemble the seat. 

20230115_164455_2.jpg

Backplate armour just rested in place for the moment.

20230115_164539_2.jpg

It resembles the full sized seat but is a bit dumbed down in places. I'm undecided whether to tackle the seat base corners. Airfix have molded in the angled fastener plate but on the real deal the seat lip is thinner at that conjunction. I'll sleep on it.

What I did do was to remove the row of raised fasteners along the bottom of the seat padding.

20230115-151155-2.jpg

Having watched Nigel of "Nigel's modelling bench" YouTube channel build his seat I remember him mentioning the join in the base and backrest.

I think he filled it in on his. :hmmm:

It does actually exist on some full sized seats so I added rivet detail and I'll use paint to make a feature out of it later.

20230115_151234.jpg

You can see from the image that the designer has given the seat padding a little texture. I'll see if I can lift it during the painting phase otherwise some modelling clay might be in order.

Finally for this brief update, the armour plate. This has a chamfered edge to create the illusion of a thin plate but due to limitations it's actually quite thick.

20230115-164508-2.jpg

It might be beneficial to attempt a replacement using some sheet card or metal. How obvious is it on the built model I wonder? 

Anyone got past this stage who can share a photo or two of the seat sitting in position in the fuselage please?

Cheers.

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........1st Jan. A quest for information

Hi everyone, hope all is well in modelling land?

I'm gently plugging away on this as time allows and will have progress to share soon. 

In the meantime I have moved on to the next steps of the build. I.e:

20230119_105600.jpg

In the above image I am stumped by parts #D56 and #D44. On earlier Spitfires a voltage regulator is mounted in this position on the rear of this bulkhead but it looks different to these parts.

Does anyone have any information or images of what Airfix has depicted please? 

Many thanks. 

Edited by geedubelyer

• geedubelyer changed the title to Airfix 1/24th scale Mk.IX Spitfire........21st Jan 2023. A quest for information

I have found photos of the Mk.I Spitfire domed regulator and the later double barreled regulator but not one that looks like that, I did find a photo of one that looked like that one on an RAF surplus site but not one of it fitted in a Spitfire.

https://www.raf-surplus.co.uk/electrical-components.php

Cheers

Dennis