Tamiya New Products Launch Nuremburg Feb 1st

I was hoping for another 1/48 McDonnell F-4 but hey-ho. Airfix Gannet and GA.11 Hunter for me then. 

The big hope is the Red Pills Models 1/32 F-4B Phantom II.  Nothing else really matters, unless Trumpeter shock us with a previously unannounced big scale Deuce or Six.

Tony 

12 hours ago, is it windy yet? said:

Well there it is. 100% internet official. Tamiya will never ever ever produce a 1:32 kit again. All because of the poor sales of the 1:32 f-14a 1994 kit. I know because I know. 

NO - HARD STOP.  It's because of the horrible, impossible to build, complexity of their Mosquito FB.IV kit.  I know this because I read it on the internet.   Truly stunned that, again, they have ignored the demands of the modeling community and opted not to release a new-tool P-51K.    Would have been a license to print money.  

SMH

EDIT - on the bright side, I think we can get this thread up to 20 pages at least with hundreds of "It's proven - Tamiya will never release a LSP again" posts.   Give it a go lads! 

Edited by John1

10 hours ago, ringleheim said:

No, it's because of the Mosquito.

Are people really still expecting a 1/32 aircraft release from them?

I've been waiting for their next 1/12 F1 kit release since 1992, too.  

There's always hope, but still...

Unfortunately I do think 1/12 F-1 is dead as far as new releases goes unless we are blessed someday with them going back and doing an all new 1/12 Lotus 49 or something like that.  A new contemporary F-1 thought I think is never going to happen.  

I don:t think 1/32 is dead for Tamiya but only time will tell.  

8 hours ago, Tony T said:

I was hoping for another 1/48 McDonnell F-4 but hey-ho. Airfix Gannet and GA.11 Hunter for me then. 

The big hope is the Red Pills Models 1/32 F-4B Phantom II.  Nothing else really matters, unless Trumpeter shock us with a previously unannounced big scale Deuce or Six.

Tony 

+1

5 hours ago, John1 said:

NO - HARD STOP.  It's because of the horrible, impossible to build, complexity of their Mosquito FB.IV kit.  I know this because I read it on the internet.   Truly stunned that, again, they have ignored the demands of the modeling community and opted not to release a new-tool P-51K.    Would have been a license to print money.  ...

Yeah, it was. The aliens told them it wasn't fun to build and also that they shouldn't make models with animal names, allegedly.

12 hours ago, cbk57 said:

Unfortunately I do think 1/12 F-1 is dead as far as new releases goes unless we are blessed someday with them going back and doing an all new 1/12 Lotus 49 or something like that.  A new contemporary F-1 thought I think is never going to happen.  

I don:t think 1/32 is dead for Tamiya but only time will tell.  

Have you seen the 1/12 Lotus 99T '87 Monaco being released by beemax. Cheers.

11 hours ago, TankBuster said:

Have you seen the 1/12 Lotus 99T '87 Monaco being released by beemax. Cheers.

Yes unfortunately that has been bouncing around for two years and test shots have been shown but still no sign of it for sale.  It is a very exciting kit though and they have announced an even better MP4-4 Mclaren in 1/12.

1 hour ago, spindrift said:

Tamiya always has been a favorite- nostalgia factor plus the fact their kits are superbly engineered. I think the lack of better detail is a choice- simpler easier builds.

In part yes, but also impeccable engineering.  Kits Tamiya tooled in the 1970s often are better designed than many kits today.  I am not a Motorcycle enthusiast in any regard but to me if you want to understand why Tamiya is great, start with their motorcycle kits.  I actually believe these are foundational to why Tamiya is great as if you don:t engineer it right there is nowhere to hide your poor design.  Every detail must come together perfectly on a Motorcycle as the frame, engine, wheels, suspension and fairings all have to build as a cohesive 3 dimensional puzzle that fits perfectly or it just will look wrong.  Also their kits have always been engineered so that a person working in their tiny Tokyo apartment can just sit down and enjoy the build.  When these old kits were tooled originally there was almost no aftermarket so you really had to work with what was in the box.  

Edited by cbk57

On 2/2/2023 at 12:48 PM, John1 said:

Would have been a license to print money. 

I have to laugh every time I read this. Affection for a subject is not a guarantee of being a 'license to print money'. And repeatedly saying it won't turn a loser into something a manufacturer might take up.