1/35 Boeing AH-64D Apache from MENG

LSP_Kevin

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to 1/35 Boeing AH-64D Apache from MENG
3 hours ago, somebody said:

I guess it will depend on price difference between meng & takom, if they are similar in quality.....although i'd love to have both. one folded & all panels open + one in-flight

Typically both Meng and Takom do nice stuff, I don't know why they have to beat the same bush, but they do that at times as well.  I don't see them being much different on price, to me they seem comparable on price, the kits may differ a little in extra details the manufacturer focuses on and the parts layout will vary a bit, will not be two identical kits out of the same mold I mean.  It will be two high quality kits of the same subject though.  From what I see though this will be a popular subject so both may do well.

24 minutes ago, Neo said:

Sometimes j wonder if these companies partner up on research and molds. Kinda the same way Andy's sherman is comming out as takom also

I believe that Takom is actually making the Sherman for Andy, since he’s not a model manufacture.  If Takom is also selling the Sherman, it’s either the same kit for sales outside of the US, or a different version from the same basic mold.  Pretty sure that Takom and Meng are competitors and aren’t sharing research with each other.

There's definitely something strange going on with these recent large scale releases. Two 1/16 Stug III kits released at roughly the same time and they're not the same kit, Same with the Panzer III and the Sherman. And now the Apaches... Very odd. 

Not that I'm complaining :P

Edited by EvilCarrot

I've read that this might be because third parties are doing the initial research and CAD design and then selling these to the various manufacturers so there's not R&D tie required before the sprue design.  So one company buys the files, announces it, and then any other company could think "me too!" and buy the files and go right into sprue design.

1 hour ago, ninjrk said:

I've read that this might be because third parties are doing the initial research and CAD design and then selling these to the various manufacturers so there's not R&D tie required before the sprue design.  So one company buys the files, announces it, and then any other company could think "me too!" and buy the files and go right into sprue design.

That would mean the competing kits would be identical but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

One thing I like about the Meng kit is that you have the option to display the Apache with the rotor blades folded.  Nice touch, prior to this, I would have left off a blade (or two) so the thing would fit on my shelf.