Upcoming Japanese Model Show - New Tamiya Releases?

John1

It would normally be at around this point that Jennings would step into the room, drop a grenade about Tamiya never going ANYWHERE near 1/32 ever again … and then bug out …

:D :D … :P

I miss the guy … had a degree in Trolling 

Rog :)

11 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

I'd expect to see some new 1/32 stuff from Trumpeter/Hobby Boss/I Love Kit/Merit at Shizuoka before seeing anything new in our beloved scale from Tamiya.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN

I would not be surprised seeing the first KH kits coming back in Shizuoka under the Trumpyboss flag...

58 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I would not be surprised seeing the first KH kits coming back in Shizuoka under the Trumpyboss flag...

Wonder if they'd redo any elements of the kits? I only ever bought 1/48 KH jets before the firm folded (Voodoos mostly, with their cocked-up clear parts and goofy inlets) but am very interested in a revisited Mirage 2000C (and the 1/48 SuÉ, Jags and Mirage F.1 series), so reissues soon would be good.  

I don't really care what aircraft, if any, Tamiya do except for more 1/48 Phantoms — the most accurate kit of the beast yet, in any scale — and not to drop any more 1/32 jets from their catalogue. We still want the Thunderbirds F-16C in grey plastic with regular markings etc etc etc but Tamiya are so resistant to that kind of logic. Each kit seems to be a kind of plastic temple that must remain exactly as-is until demolition, and occasionally reissued exactly as-was.  

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
Schpellling

I think the plastic announcements are already out, new 1/24 Z car, new Ducatti, new Commet tank.  That is kind of the gist of it.  There is not going to be anything you guys want in 1/32 I would like something new too but not going to happen at this show.  I don't even think there is a new 1/48 airplane.

From what I can tell now and since covid, Tamiya previews all of their new kits through various on line out lets including Andys HHQ.  They are not doing surprise releases at the hobby shows.  They may never again as they can generate more publicity in one well placed youtube video than they can at any hobby show.  The publicity generates interest and in turn orders from the retailers.  There is no point now in waiting for the hobby show to announce their release list.  If you check the "tamiya blog" you will see the show release list and I bet you what you see is what we get.

Edited by cbk57

I had a trip to Japan a few years ago, before Covid. There is a place called Akihabara, where you can call the Mecca of modelling and kits in Japan. The number of plastic kits there that may be of interest to anyone in this forum (or others too) are far too beyond one can find in any retailer/reseller I've seen put together in any Western country. Still they are seriously outnumbered by anime characters, RC toys and kits (mostly Tamiya), BanDai robots and stuff like that. Where there were a few people looking at the aircraft kits, there were hundreds everywhere spending their attention and money on such strange things.

It should not be forgotten that firms like Hasegawa and Tamiya used to aim their own market in the first place. Japan is a country with high population which had a high interest rate in modelling during the past decades and that perfectly helped such brands to thrive. With the local market going down and split now, I really doubt Hasegawa and Tamiya are willing to invest big money in kits they are not sure will sell enough inside Japan. They are not like Trumpeter and other Chinese brands who sell half-accurate kits and still collect enough audience abroad to survive. Never say never is always a correct phrase, but I do not think we will be seeing a remarkable 1/32 release in the near future from Tamiya nor Hasegawa, who has already stopped doing that. Only ZM could come up with somethings that could be of interest and that is because they are a relatively small brand currently driven by passion.

21 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I suspect you're right having had a look at the posted link but I still hold out hope to a certain degree.... They just released the 1/48 P-38J kit which is stellar but doesn't come with any options to make a late P-38J (which is  the one I want).

Having said that, I think we can all agree that only folks associated with the company and/or with access to such information can say with any degree of certainty that Tamiya is done with 1/32.  Everything else is just speculation like the multiple "wish list" threads that pop up every other day [just like this one is devolving into].  We all know that Tamiya does what Tamiya decides to do and with no particular time or fashion constraints. As consumers, we're usually the last people to know.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a 1/48 Hasegawa Typhoon bubbletop to finish (since Hasegawa has not been inclined to release an injected kit of this aircraft in 1/32)....

Hasagawa hasnt been inclined to release anything period ! Oh exept for reboxed old kits at eyewortering prices.:huh:

Jon

40 minutes ago, jbrennan said:

Hasagawa hasnt been inclined to release anything period ! Oh exept for reboxed old kits at eyewortering prices.:huh:

Jon

That is not correct, they are tooling car kits, sci fi kits and things like that.  They have been regularly releasing new car kits designed to appeal to the Japanese market.  Among them a recent Toyota MR2.  For this show they are announcing a vintage Supra and a 1970s or 1980s Isuzu sports coupe.   If you check the Hobby Search website, they have the Hasegawa new releases, they are doing a ton of car kits.  I took a second look and they have tooled a new Toyota sports racer which I thought was one of their old kits but it is all new.  They may have some military releases but I have a hard time telling what is new and old with them because their old aircraft catalog is pretty massive.  There are other releases I am sure but I do not follow Hasegawa that closely.  A problem we have in this group is the name “large scale planes”, there is a lot more to the scale modeling world than things with wings.  Our 1/32 preferred or 1/24 airplanes are a side show in the modeling world for most manufacturers.  We are lucky to have some companies that are very serious about 1/32 like Zoukei, HKM and even Airfix who seems interested in periodically releasing a new 1/24 tool kit.

Edited by cbk57

I have a thought, lets set up a new thread running for two weeks, a wish list, in which everyone names their 1st choice for a new 1/32.  Then we compile a top 10 and vote, we then take the top three and run a new pole.  In this manner we get a strong consensus of a top choice, then we do an out reach to Tamiya USA to do a go fund me for our 1st choice and we publicize it and fund a new Tamiya 1/32 plane in conjunction with Tamiya USA.  If we all start pounding messages to them on facebook and email, we will get an answer if they will do it.  If they will we need to be prepared to kick in 150 each and see how many people we can get globally to support the go fund me for the new kit.  We sit back hoping for Tamiya to do a kit, lets fund it and get the kit we want.

3 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

I have a thought, lets set up a new thread running for two weeks, a wish list, in which everyone names their 1st choice for a new 1/32.  Then we compile a top 10 and vote, we then take the top three and run a new pole.  In this manner we get a strong consensus of a top choice, then we do an out reach to Tamiya USA to do a go fund me for our 1st choice and we publicize it and fund a new Tamiya 1/32 plane in conjunction with Tamiya USA.  If we all start pounding messages to them on facebook and email, we will get an answer if they will do it.  If they will we need to be prepared to kick in 150 each and see how many people we can get globally to support the go fund me for the new kit.  We sit back hoping for Tamiya to do a kit, lets fund it and get the kit we want.

Great idea.  I’m in for $2.00!    Just need $3-4 million more and we can finally get a new-tool P-51K!  

4 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I’m missing something here .  Tamiya already does a P-51K.  Why would Tamiya spend money on making a new-tool kit?

I know...I mentioned that at the top of this thread... There's absolutely nothing wrong with the existing 1/32 Tamiya kit of the P-51K so I don't know what's up.