RA-5C Vigilante - scratchprinted

Starfighter

Ben, amazing work!

In your intro, you mentioned some tutorials for surface detailing in Fusion360; would you mind providing some additional links to the RC channel?

Your results show that the tutorials are worth the time. 

cheers,

Greg

Edited by GMK

Yay, a new project from you to follow!  Can't wait to see this build come together. The finer detail does look better, hopefully it prints cleanly.

Wonder if there's a way to either print the landing gear around a metal core, or just scratch-build it completely from metal to handle the weight?

Matt 

Cheers guys! Freg, I actually included the link in my last post, but here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/c/RCCAD2VR

Matt, the landing gear is indeed one of the most difficult points of this projects. Printing it directly around a metal core wont be possible, but inserting one will be necessary for sure. A metal landing gear will be a must on this big beast - the question is whether to have it metal sintered (expensive!) or to solder it from metal profiles. 

I have literally no idea how this witchcraft works and wouldn’t know where to start, but it is sure impressive!

It’s amazing to watch something emerge from nothing in the hands of someone who knows their way around this stuff - and a great choice if subject, too. 

Tom

Things are getting more complex. I already did several full cockpits in CAD in the past, but it's always a challenge. I will use Anyz knobs so I already added 0,5mm holes in the appropriate locations on the front RH side console. 

screenshot2022-02-071p4kx4.jpg

screenshot2022-02-0712gj19.jpg

The basic shape of the rear side consoles was rather complex to get right. The next step is to add the basic shape if the rear IP before adding the inner sidewalls and detail. 

screenshot2022-02-0815mkmj.jpg

Thank you guys! Motivation is still high and asalready mentioned, my wife's urgent desire to rebuild the living room limits my "real" bench time. 

The cockpit is slowly taking shape:

screenshot2022-02-111eij9h.jpg

The tail fairing wqas modified again and is now more correct shape wise and a solid part. The tailcone will be a separate part.

screenshot2022-02-111gdk79.jpg

screenshot2022-02-111zkj9x.jpg

Wings and LERX have been added. The big LERX gives it away as a late Vigilante. 

screenshot2022-02-111jbkwa.jpg

As you can see, I have also started adding surface detail to the rear fuselage section.

screenshot2022-02-111jwj3j.jpg

screenshot2022-02-11122jzh.jpg

screenshot2022-02-11147kmr.jpg

Tonight, I will run another test print of the forward fuselage with the revised surface detail. Stay tuned! 

Edited by Starfighter