Kitty Hawk models is going out of business

Dave Roof

Recently, I purchased two kits direct. One was the MH-60S KH50015, every review I read online and the profile at scalemates.com show the kit with a resin M197 cannon, mine did not have the part. I contacted Kitty Hawk and requested the part, they said the part was not included with the kit. Even their own post regarding the kit shows the cannon included. Now they have stopped answering my emails and refuse to do the right thing.

Sad really, they make some nice looking kits with great detail, but they kept messing up. Missing parts, confusion about figures, poorly written instructions and zero customer care. I am pissed about the cannon, the factor that made me choose that kit, I would have choosen something else, if I had known they would screw me over. Hopefully they will take this time to get their act together, find a way to make consistent products with better fit and less challenging instructions and better customer support. They shot themselves in the foot, maybe trying to hard to become the biggest company possible, instead of working on the fundamentals first.

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

This post on Facebook (a screen capture) casts some doubt on the finality of the situation:

195981679_4311471298886044_1991265189414

@KAGNEW Can we get some clarification?

Kev

Kev,

That has to be old as the 2000D/N, FJ-3 and two more H-60 kits have been released (and in stock at several places). In addition, Glen, Tim and Floyd have all confirmed the news. 

Just now, Dave Roof said:

Kev,

That has to be old as the 2000D/N, FJ-3 and two more H-60 kits have been released (and in stock at several places). In addition, Glen, Tim and Floyd have all confirmed the news. 

That's the impression I'm getting, certainly. Would have been nice to discover it was a false alarm.

Kev

2 hours ago, npb748r said:

there are a few kittyhawk 1/32 kits i wanted so I just went to buy a couple from hannants and they are no longer listed on their site. Removed completely !  Fleabay here I come....

Kitty Hawk is no more in the manufacturer's list.

5 hours ago, Stalker6recon said:

Recently, I purchased two kits direct. One was the MH-60S KH50015, every review I read online and the profile at scalemates.com show the kit with a resin M197 cannon, mine did not have the part. I contacted Kitty Hawk and requested the part, they said the part was not included with the kit. Even their own post regarding the kit shows the cannon included. Now they have stopped answering my emails and refuse to do the right thing.

Sad really, they make some nice looking kits with great detail, but they kept messing up. Missing parts, confusion about figures, poorly written instructions and zero customer care. I am pissed about the cannon, the factor that made me choose that kit, I would have choosen something else, if I had known they would screw me over. Hopefully they will take this time to get their act together, find a way to make consistent products with better fit and less challenging instructions and better customer support. They shot themselves in the foot, maybe trying to hard to become the biggest company possible, instead of working on the fundamentals first.

Oh well, terrible blow to modeling for sure, thanks china virus!

If you’re looking for the M197, Werner’s Wings makes a set, which includes the ammo box and power supply, both items that KH didn’t include in the MH-60S kit.  Yes, you should have gotten it in the kit as it did come with it, but that option seems to be gone.

1 hour ago, discus said:

Kitty Hawk is no more in the manufacturer's list.

it's been a very expensive (and unexpected) morning for me. Just bought all of the 1/32 kits that were on my to buy list except the Kingfisher which I can't find anywhere - I suspect (but hope not) that this one might have got away from me which is a shame it it was the top of my must have Kitty Hawk list. If anyone has a spare in their stash that they would be happy to sell please shout !  Thankfully my wife is very understanding...  

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

That has zero to do with the accuracy and engineering of their kits. 

Jennings, unlike you I’m not an expert on accuracy and engineering although I’m not a total ignoramus on both counts.

All I was saying is that I enjoyed building several KH kits and I’m sorry there will be no more.

4 hours ago, npb748r said:

it's been a very expensive (and unexpected) morning for me. Just bought all of the 1/32 kits that were on my to buy list except the Kingfisher which I can't find anywhere - I suspect (but hope not) that this one might have got away from me which is a shame it it was the top of my must have Kitty Hawk list. If anyone has a spare in their stash that they would be happy to sell please shout !  Thankfully my wife is very understanding...  

The Mirage 2000 Kit moved up to the top of my buy list.  Found a good price on wBay; whew.  I always hoped that they would up size the F-35B Lightning II.  

4 minutes ago, quang said:

All I was saying is that I enjoyed building several KH kits and I’m sorry there will be no more.

I'm glad I bought two each of the RF-101C and F-101B kitsets. As far as the long-nosed recce Voodoo goes, Kitty Hawk's offering will be the best, the worst and the only 1/48 kit for — in all probability — ever. I rejoice that we got it, as it's a nice canvas to work with. 

Sad for the company that it's come to an end. On a selfish level it's mildly irritating not to get the 1/32 Kitty Hawk Thunderstreak and Jaguars promised years ago, but hey ho.

Tony