Kemble: 747 graveyard!

Indeed - a sad sight...

Went past a few months back - there weren't quite as many - but I expect more will arrive in coming months.

Perhaps now's the time to purchase an 'interesting' garden ornament!  ;)

Beemer looks in great condition!

Iain

I asked Steve (the car restorer) if he’d seen the last one land, “Yes” he replied, “along with hundreds of others who created a real problem with parking and crowding on what is a very busy and rather fast stretch of road.” One local business has installed a tannoy to tell “visitors” to get their cars out of the way of his business entrance, he got tired of going out to them! 

Signs of the time. The good old days are over I'm afraid. Sad to see them end this way, I remember many pleasant overseas flights and always excellent service onboard BA 747s.  

Edited by Lothar

I can’t believe Delta will be retiring their B777 this year. The B777’s?  The last B747 flight I was on was Thai late last year.  The B747’s were really nice to ride in.   I took my family on BA to Cape Town ten years ago and my sons still talk about the flight from LAX to Heathrow and jumping on another B747 down to Cape Town.  A majestic bird for sure.  R.I.P.  

On the subject of "dumping", Lufthansa is planning on retiring all their 4 engined liners, 747, A380 and 340, because for a fact modern bypass engines are more reliable and cost effective nowdays to do longrange twin engine ETOPS  compared to many 4 engined ones, but ofcourse 4 engined airliners ,maybe especially the 747,  will still be flying for a long time, since they are very suitable for cargo conversion.

And on the A380: some 8 years ago i visited Toulouse and we saw some of the Airbus assembly halls.......one hall had 4 A380's which were about to be taken apart, two of them still had their owner's logo on the tail but they were hastily painted over.......i guess that was the start of it all for the 380.......

All the classic wide bodies are on borrowed time.  Assuming Covid sticks around for another year or two, long haul travel will be pretty much limited to 787’s, A330/350’s and A321’s.  

I live under the flight paths for most US - Europe flights.   Used to love seeing all the contrails of trans-Atlantic flights at sundown.   Used to be a non-stop parade of jets.   Now I might see 1-2 in an hour.  Quite sad.   

The Queen is gone but she’s not forgotten.  

Apologies to Neil Young.