RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Wow, talk about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Fantastic photos!

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Kev!  I have a CT-4 on it's way so I am keen to wrap this up and make a start on that.  But I dont want to compromise the build to do it.  Big push today for me!

Oooooooh you lucky devil. I need to save my pennies for when the 1/48 version comes out.

3 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hi Zac, yes mate we do need to catch up!  I will keep you updated on seeing the P-51, with our new COVID cases here things are a little uncertain again

Understood completely. COVID scuppered my hopes of seeing her before she was disassembled, too. At least she and her hangarmates live fairly close by!

7 hours ago, Maxim61 said:

Nice progress on a difficult build.

Thanks very much!  yes trickier than first thought, and welcome to LSP!

7 hours ago, Greg W said:

Nice update!

Solving that whole lower wing thing is a big jump ahead and the picture above shows you've accomplished dialing in the lines of the FG.1 fuse.

Looking very correct from top and bottom.

Thanks buddy, I think so too!

6 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

Wow, talk about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Fantastic photos!

Oooooooh you lucky devil. I need to save my pennies for when the 1/48 version comes out.

Understood completely. COVID scuppered my hopes of seeing her before she was disassembled, too. At least she and her hangarmates live fairly close by!

Yes pretty pleased to get that kit in 32nd, I will keep you posted on when I go.

Well 2 updates in one day...whatever next??

So the final major area of the shape that I wanted to sort is the nose, especially the lower profile.  Notice on short nose Phantoms how pronounced the lower line of the radome and area forward of the NLG bay sweeps down

8bRzau.jpg

Svmet0.jpg

RrlsOR.jpg

Now, see the Tamiya kit....see how much flatter it appears.  If this is your model, I am sorry and will remove it asap, I am just wanting to illustrate something and I had saved this cropped image some time ago.

WIVpP8.jpg

This is the kit part, although it dosent look too bad, maybe I am overthinking it?  But when I put it up to the upper fuse it just looks too flat along the bottom even to my eye

JJO7qa.jpg

I put a cut down vertically in front of the NLG bay and inserted a piece of 10 Thou plastic card in the top to 'tweak' the lower line down a bit.  I shimmed the upper edges to fill the gap when I filed it down to the panel line

ON5E1f.jpg

Ms9tOt.jpg

The result

KItrGo.jpg

Not convinced I even got it right myself I overlayed another image to see. 

I am pretty happy with the final result and think it will look much better than the kit shape in my opinion. I can still fine tune down the track if I need to and the nosecone will need to be modified too.

Q663T9.jpg

I know it's not very scientific, but to my eyeball it now looks right.

Cheers and thanks for tuning in as always

Anthony

Anthony.  You are totally crazy, but in a good way!  All these tiny differences between the Brit and US made Phantoms are not really noticeable to most observers, but when you point them out, like the above nose cone, they are quite significant.  Go Anthony go!  I know this project is taking forever, but it sure looks like it's going to be worth it.

Cheers,

Chuck

6 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Anthony.  You are totally crazy, but in a good way!  All these tiny differences between the Brit and US made Phantoms are not really noticeable to most observers, but when you point them out, like the above nose cone, they are quite significant.  Go Anthony go!  I know this project is taking forever, but it sure looks like it's going to be worth it.

Cheers,

Chuck

LOL thanks Chuck, I will take that as a compliment coming from someone who is also one Lol.  

Thanks again, means a lot coming from someone as talented as you

1 hour ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Taking notes as I have obtained one of those conversion kits mentioned somewhere in this thread :D

Atta boy!  Put your request in for more Brit Toom stuff from Ali if you want it.  I am sure if he gets enough interest in stuff he will do them

Thanks guys....back to it

12 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Your on the downhill slide now Anthony. Those little details sure do make the project.

Yes mate I am..... there was no way I could have done that with a delicate cockpit fitted at there was some serious cutting and twisting to do this and get the lower wing to sit nicely

4 hours ago, jenshb said:

Looking at the top profile of the nose, it seems to be sloping more than the Tamiya kit as well...

Yes I think you are right, now I have looked at it. Thanks!

Ok so this was a big milestone for me, getting the lower wing to fit without needing 10 tons of pressure to hold it in place and not violently spring apart and make terrible cracking and pinging sounds!

Here she sits just gently placed on to.  The lower wing pulls nicely up the the lower fuse/wheel well connection with hardly any pressure.  This was a big job as it turned out.  But really all it was , was taking time to see where all the friction/touch points were that were getting in the way, and it fits nicely...phew!

Still some tweaking to go around the rear pipes but nothing too difficult

There was no way I could have done this with the cockpit fitted as there was some serious twisting/bending and hammering to get to this point

o6a0Ks.jpg

ag62Jw.jpg

Oh well, back to work now for the week.  I am surprised I even got this much done with all the visitors we had over the weekend, and going out for dinner last night etc.

Wasn't there a comment on here that the radome was identical between all short nose Phantoms (disregarding the presence or absence of the IR sensor fairing)?  That's what put me on it.  However, is the Tamiya C/D/J nose correct and accurate for these versions, or another shape inaccuracy with the kit?  If the slope of the nose of the British Phantoms is different from the US versions, would that be to accommodatea higher angle of attack on take off and approach?

Edited by jenshb