RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

On 11/30/2023 at 12:40 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

100% agreed!

Yes I went over and had a good catch up...wow you're doing a fantastic job of yours mate!

Awwww thanks buddy, that means a lot!  I am pleased you're enjoying it as much as I am!

More progress, this time on the undercarriage.  Initially I thought I only needed the lower section of leg with extra links, then when Kerry was drawing it up measurements didnt quite add up...and after further research Kerry found the leg dia didnt seem to add up to the drawings.  It seems the kit and aftermarket ones are 4.8mm dia whereas the FG.1 (double ext nose leg) is 6.2mm!  Interesting, but totally makes sense as it would have the extra oleo extension??  Anyway, cant 100% confirm this but we are going with the drawings and the reasoning that this might make sense anyway. However the more I look at photo's I am getting more convinced it looks chunkier than a std Phantom noseleg (incl FGR.2).  There are several differences in the FG.1 leg as well as the upper links are different again as well as a few other details.  Anyhoo, needless to say this has ment a whole new leg has been done to be printed and test fitted (as it has to also include the rearward rake).  Always something eh?  Thank goodness for Kerry, in fact he has so much involvement in this with me that it really is a joint project as I couldnt have got it this accurate without him....Thanks buddy!

Ce23JI.jpg

oCXkMu.jpg

So in the meantime I have been working on mains and final detailing and painting.  More to go on these along with trying to find stencils for the main oleo's...no one seems to have done them in 1/32 and I cant find anything close at this point.

And yes...sheep are everywhere here in NZ, even my modelling bench!

hTTLJi.jpg

Test fitted....looking good!

nyAMQg.jpg

You saw my nose u/c doors with primer....now all painted, stencils and wiring added along with some subtle weathering

These doors got really filthy but I tried to restrain myself a bit and did my best to match XV571's doors at this point in her life

ZqQtEc.jpg

And both the fronts together

vpqvsO.jpg

So on the hunt for a MLG oleo placard and then final details added and the legs are done, still working on the MLG doors

Thanks for looking in...I am still going!

Cheers Anthony

This level of detail causes me two conflicting emotions:

1.  Joy and appreciation for your talent.

2.  The urge to go burn all of my own efforts because they are so lacking.

This is truly amazing!

On 12/31/2023 at 4:49 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

OK fuel tanks and dents....

Hmmm I didnt realize doing dents would be more difficult than I imagined, well at least for me either.  Thankfully I have some great photos of the tanks XV571 worre mostly in the late 80's (so much stuff seemed to chop and change, it makes me wonder if ordinance etc might have been shared between 43 and 111 sqn's as one of the fuel tanks often worn on 43 Sqn XV571 even appears on XV574 if 111 Sqn at one stage.  If anyone has an answer I would be interested to hear it??)

Anyway, my first advice is NOT to try and match every single dint and scratch on the tank you're looking at, it just looks plain wrong.  Just do the main ones, the final result will be much better. 

Prime the surface with Mr Surfacer and then you can see what size and shape and angle your dents, flat spots and scrapes are and you are happy with the position of them.  I used a couple of different shaped curves scalpel blades to make the initial dent. Then using emery paper rounded, I blended it in to smooth it out.  Some dents are soft (meaning there isnt really a defined edge, yet some are and sometimes have an almost creased edge.  Experiment is pest, but it is actually a lot of fun and I think (hopefully will make a nice natural appearance to the final look) you will enjoy it.  I am particularly looking forward to denting my Paragon 100Gal underwing tanks on my 1/24 Mossie when I eventually get back to it.  Carry on sanding and priming untill you are happy.

Oh by the way these are the @Jet Passion tanks so the wall thickness may be more than the kit ones.  

f6YrMS.jpg

gRiIEU.jpg

NlNwkh.jpg

Zir0p4.jpg

One final thing to be mindful of is that if your Phantom has the strengthening belly strap then your pylons are going to sit slightly off the surface (this is normal even on the real airframe), so you will have to add the rubber sealing strip between the two

CuxPr2.jpg

You can even see here there is fresh air above the inboard one, note the rubber seal on the outboard one?

o0jSVV.png

And my version

vKxOxI.jpg

Off to the paintshop.....

Hs8FjV.jpg

Now I have had real issues trying to find the correct greys for this model.  I have brought all sorts of paint brands and nothing has satisfied me very much at all.  Of course I have never seen a Phantom in my life so I have to go off photo's and take into account lighting etc etc.  Anyway this is where I am at.  I know some will possibly balk at what I am doing, but this is the best I can come up with, I am as always open to advice.

My main 'Base color'is Mr Color 73 Äircraft Gray" which is just a tad too dark on its own for Camouflage Grey BS626 (the main overall uppersurface colour) and all the other greys for the undersurface look a little 'çold' for the Light Aircraft Grey.  So what I did here as an experiment was spray the overall tank '73' (this was my base)  then I lightly randomly sprayed white over the top for the underside and pore so for the pylon as these are actually white.  Then I added a dash of 73 into my white and softened the white and full tone blotchy finish underneath.  This evened things out and oddly enough the dents took on their own shadows!

o4BVfF.jpg

Then I masked the demarcation lines and sprayed 73, but lightened with a touch of white, blotching it in areas with the base colour. The lower tank in the pic above had a slightly newer rear end section added and was lighter and the grey demarcation was feathered not hard edged.  The upper tank has a Green white rear end apparently taken from their spares inventory which is in a US green and white.

This is what I ended up with

zkOJmV.jpg

Then I used oil paints and added some filters and then Burnt Umber and black mix was used to simulate the centre main tank section which often got quite dirty underneath

11EheA.jpg

Hard to see I know, sorry

TEYpGa.jpg

Desperately trying to go with the 'less is more' theory which is hard

ROP2Qp.jpg

I hope you guys approve, as this is all a bit new for me this type of weathering.  As always your ideas, tips and input is appreciated for those of you who know how to do this properly

Again my mix of Greys is home made to how. I feel looks right and maybe it looks wrong to those who have actually seen a Phantom, I appreciate any feedback as I am flying blind here.  

Thanks again chaps, and I super appreciate all of your help and encouragement along the way this year as its been a tough one.  Lets hope we can get this sucker finished in 24!!!

Cheers Anthony

Denting drop tanks . . . who thinks of such things?  How can you dare be so realistic?!?!  AND then execute it so perfectly?!?!

I need a drink . . . or two.  But why stop there?

Oh, this is going to be fantastic!

Of course those dents in the plastic are something so simple and realistic, and (if you ask me) always required.  Why people are affraid of ''abusing'' the plastic while we all use knives, saw blades, cutters, etc. throughout the process? :) Not to metion what the rivetting/rescribing tools do to the plastic. Some realistic indentations (according to photos) are always a nice touch, at least in this scale. Btw, aren't some panel lines missing near the exhaust/nozzle area - is it right after sanding maybe?

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2024 at 10:58 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Tanks, indeed! That's all shades of awesome.

Kev

Thanks Kev.....appreciate that mate!

On 1/4/2024 at 2:20 AM, DonH said:

Yep, 50 shades of awesome!

Hahaha....glad you said awesome and not Grey (although it kinda is)

On 1/7/2024 at 1:06 PM, wunwinglow said:

Just fablus project!  Been busy with real life recently, but my, this gets my scalpel itchy!!

LOL careful what you itch :lol:  thanks buddy!

On 1/7/2024 at 4:51 PM, amurray said:

2.  The urge to go burn all of my own efforts because they are so lacking.

On 1/7/2024 at 4:57 PM, amurray said:

Denting drop tanks . . . who thinks of such things?  How can you dare be so realistic?!?!  AND then execute it so perfectly?!?!

I need a drink . . . or two.  But why stop there?

Dont you dare and dont let me come over and 'slap ya' for thinking like that :D

Seriously though, thank you so very much!  Wish we were closer, I'd have a drink with you:beer:

22 hours ago, mozart said:

Simply astonishing work Anthony, right down to the smallest detail and, mind-bogglingly from a chap who’s never seen a Phantom. :D  Really extraordinary maestro. :bow:

Awwww thanks Max, yup never seen a Phantom, let alone the best version of all, the Brit Toom.  One day.  Part of me would like to come to Telford this year if I thought I could get it finished and bring it with me.  Telford is something I have always wanted to do.  My good mate Pete Mossong goes over a lot.  Maybe I will come with him on his next trip??

22 hours ago, F`s are my favs said:

Oh, this is going to be fantastic!

Of course those dents in the plastic are something so simple and realistic, and (if you ask me) always required.  Why people are affraid of ''abusing'' the plastic while we all use knives, saw blades, cutters, etc. throughout the process? :) Not to metion what the rivetting/rescribing tools do to the plastic. Some realistic indentations (according to photos) are always a nice touch, at least in this scale. Btw, aren't some panel lines missing near the exhaust/nozzle area - is it right after sanding maybe?

Thanks my friend!!  Yes I really like the dents and staining etc, to me it just brings it to life.  Part of me would now like to stress the skin in a couple of areas but I fear I will never finish if I do that!

You are correct, I am starting to redo the back end 'hot area'surface details, see below

Not much to show except I am re-doing (again) the back end 'hot area'.  Not so much the shapes as I am happy with those, but the surface finish, a split in a join (now repaired from inside with JB Weld and a syringe) the surface texture, some uneven rivets and a few wobbly lines need addressing.  I am getting close to paint so dont want any unexpected surprises. The 3D printed hinges need to get grafted in next but I just want the surface details as perfect as I can get them before moving onto inserting them. I know in myself if I add the hinges and havent delt with the surrounding imperfections I might very well get overwhelmed at the amount of work needing doing.  So for now it is just fine tuning, redoing and final surface buff ready for the metal area.

For some reason I am going back and re-doing a couple of areas I thought were good enough before, but arent up to scratch now....I hate my OCD! Also the big washers directly behind the reheat cans need reworking to something more acceptable...watch this space I guess.

You can see the work I need to still do when you see these 3 pics

MZPFXi.jpg

mbKcQB.jpg

3e7Dqn.jpg

Thanks as always, you guy are so encouraging with your comments but also especially with all of your own work on here you inspire me with!

Now I have a lot of work to do on this rear end....

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

6 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

For some reason I am going back and re-doing a couple of areas I thought were good enough before, but arent up to scratch now....I hate my OCD! Also the big washers directly behind the reheat cans need reworking to something more acceptable...watch this space I guess.

Welcome to the AMS (Advanced Modellers Syndrome) club my friend...resistance is futile! :lol:

Exceptional work as always Anthony, all very inspirational. I hope that your next modelling project will be more restful for you.

Cheers

Derek

6 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Also the big washers directly behind the reheat cans need reworking to something more acceptable...watch this space I guess

Hi Anthony,

Looks marvellous as usual, cannot beat that.

For someone who has an F4J on the feared shelf, and for now no intensions to finish the damn thing and not want to start allover allthough that is unavoidable, I might have an idea for those big washers. I used a large drilbit to make it some deeper and in the center of that just punched with an gemstone setting tool, it didn't look that bad at all after some practice on a piece of plastic.

Hope this makes sence.

Cheers Rick

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 2:11 AM, Derek B said:

Welcome to the AMS (Advanced Modellers Syndrome) club my friend...resistance is futile! :lol:

Exceptional work as always Anthony, all very inspirational. I hope that your next modelling project will be more restful for you.

Cheers

Derek

LOL I hope so too....Although I have been looking at my Tamiya Spitfire I have started converting to a Vc and I am trying to learn Solidworks 2024.  Clearly a sucker for punishment!

On 1/9/2024 at 2:35 AM, vvwse4 said:

Hi Anthony,

Looks marvellous as usual, cannot beat that.

For someone who has an F4J on the feared shelf, and for now no intensions to finish the damn thing and not want to start allover allthough that is unavoidable, I might have an idea for those big washers. I used a large drilbit to make it some deeper and in the center of that just punched with an gemstone setting tool, it didn't look that bad at all after some practice on a piece of plastic.

Hope this makes sence.

Cheers Rick

Thanks Rick, this heat shields has had me going around in circles.  You're a better man than I am, I couldn't get your system to work very well, although it ended up leading me to the way I am doing them now.

Seriously, this 'Hot section'has challenged me more than anything else I think!  I am at  'Plan R' and we know what is after R? S and S= SOD! However I just couldn't put her on the shelf as I feel like I would be letting too many people down after so much amazing help and encouragement.  I ended up drilling holes and them reaming them out to take a piece of Evergreen rod number 221   3/64" or 0.047 dia.  Because there is so much resin, CA, plastic card and other crap in there I had to slowly ream out otherwise the edges were crumbling and I got a few cracks between hols, Ugh. Finally I have a method that seems to work.  Anyhow I decided to take a break from that section as it has been really intense for me to get consistent results. But I think I can get a nice accurate representation eventually

Not flash but I can make this work and there is still a lot of work to go in here

6iJTEV.jpg

So, time to clear my head and do something else

So TonkaXV on BM has done some gorgeous 1/32 RAF Phantom boarding ladders, thanks so much to you they are awesome and really look great fitted to the model. Highly recommended!!

I have decided to only use the rear one as often you see the built in front step down for pilot access and a rear ladder fitted only. So I gave it a light sand/buff down to remove some very light print lines, I lost a few bolt heads and so added Archer ones to replace them.  Then primered Mr Surfacer 1200 and then Silver, topped off with a clearcoat

DyqSA3.jpg

IG1qEv.jpg

9I0bRs.jpg

Then I made a mix of Dk green/olive drab and sprayed the ladder.  I left 24hrs and then used micromesh, fine sanding sponges and a piece of worn smooth emerypaper.  to very carefully wear through to the silver, the clearcoat was there as an added barrier in case I went too deep and hit grey primer. Added some stencils matching a few photos and a '43'as sometimes the sqdn marked their own stuff.  These ladders got really rough, but I didnt want to go too overboard.  Then a flat coat and a gloss on the silver to make it shine a little.  Oh I also lightened and darkened the green to look like oily rags and handprints had tarnished the paintfinish.

This is what I ended up with

8XRHX0.jpg

LltwUS.jpg

oOOPqy.jpg

Someone got something right between Tonka and myself as it fits perfectly!  

So I am feeling better now and can face doing more washers at the back....

Thanks for tuning in team

Cheers Anthony

Smashing work on the ladder Anthony. Very realistic. 

Did you consider punching out discs of metal foil for the washers on the hot area?

This has become the ultimate F-4 build. So many beautiful details. Keep at it, you'll get there in the end. There's less of this elephant left to eat now. Remember, small bites ;)

Awesome ladder Anthony (much kudos to TonkaXV for producing such a fantastic set of ladders). Looks like you are making some real progress on this Anthony, even if the hot end is causing you some pain. 

My Phantom days with British Aerospace (BAe) back in the late 80's/early 90's:

xemOOks.jpg

7SuynII.jpg

Yo2azHi.jpg

JF0kX3t.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Stellar work Anthony!  Your Phantom continues to set the standard. Your attention to detail really will make it all worthwhile at the end.

Was there a standard for the ladders? You did yours green, but the picture from Derek has it red, and I think I've seen yellow as well. Was it just whatever the ground crews had on hand?

Matt