RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Awesome Anthony! 

I'm not sure if you've done it already, but just in case you haven't, there is a natural weakness at the wing root between the gear bay and front and rear of the wing that supports the upper wing half.  Without any additional support, these areas can flex after everything has been glued together, which might leave a crack.  This happened on my first Tamiya F-4J, so I added styrene pins on my subsequent F-4E as shown below.  Very easy to do.

ZblpeR.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

On 1/10/2023 at 11:43 PM, Derek B said:

You will have noticed that as a result of the widened fuselage that the wing inner leading edge BLC flaps are shorter than the US ones, so some new panel line scribing will be required adjacent to the wing roots.

Thanks Derek, yes mate I noticed that, there is actually a fair bit of work to go on those upper wings, I have made a start but thought I should head back to the radome and sort all the little details up there and work my way methodically back down the fuse.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:47 AM, easixpedro said:

Don't you love it when that happens?! And better than say having to rip out front and aft cockpits because you stuffed the measurements.  Don't know who'd be dumb enough to do that...

Brilliant as always.

LOL, I appreciate people like you paving the way for people like me LOL....your sacrifice didnt go un noticed and hopefully I am all good now:D

Cheers guys

Anthony

On 1/11/2023 at 5:02 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Awesome Anthony! 

I'm not sure if you've done it already, but just in case you haven't, there is a natural weakness at the wing root between the gear bay and front and rear of the wing that supports the upper wing half.  Without any additional support, these areas can flex after everything has been glued together, which might leave a crack.  This happened on my first Tamiya F-4J, so I added styrene pins on my subsequent F-4E as shown below.  Very easy to do.

ZblpeR.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Thank you Chuck!!  You're now the second person to point this out to me so I am going to take it to heart and do the same!  Appreciate you keeping an eye out for me!

On 1/11/2023 at 2:08 PM, IainM said:

Terrific work there @Anthony in NZ!! All that hard work paying off. She looks marvellous!!!:bow:

Thanks buddy!  Great catching up for a coffee last week too....loved it, but we didnt have enough time LOL

On 1/11/2023 at 5:37 PM, scvrobeson said:

Came out absolutely beautifully with the wing attachment. Truly a project to be proud of

Matt

Thanks Matt, I am starting to feel quite pleased with the outcome so far, still a lot to go though

On 1/11/2023 at 8:02 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Terrific work, Anthony!

Kev

Thanks mate....ordering the Part 2 of the Phantom book after this post..LOL  I know I NEED it!

On 1/12/2023 at 11:53 AM, KiwiZac said:

Beautiful work as always!

I'd very much enjoy that. Ticket and accommodation sorted, just need to get down there!

Lock it in mate, we'll keep in touch closer to the time!

Thank you all for your comments and tips, I really appreciate it very much.  I dont have a lot to show except I am back at the nose working on imperfections, panel lines and shapes etc.  

Hopefully I can update after the weekend

Cheers and thanks as always

Anthony

So not a lot to report except hours of refining the shapes and starting to reinstate panel lines and fasteners.  All a bit tedious and not a lot to show I am afraid, but you might be interested

BMvC8F.jpg

h9H6oP.jpg

There are some tricky shapes around here I still need to sort

R4TRIT.jpg

Whaddya reckon?  Starting to look like a Brit Spey engined Phantom now??

ksuNw5.jpg

Cheers Anthony....heading back to the tediousness of the surface (but I am enjoying it!)

I can’t begin to understand the skill level, the application to the task and sheer determination to get things absolutely right that you display in your Phantom conversion build Anthony. She really is coming together beautifully and is going to be a real museum piece when she’s finished.