RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

Under "normal," i.e., not "maintenance" circumstances, a parked Phantom had all flight controls neutral at engine shut-down (although the stabs would often be angled front edge-up/aft edge-down a few degrees, and rarely perfectly level). After engine shut-down, the speed brakes under the wings and the ailerons would start to gradually bleed "down" from the closed/neutral position. So, the longer the period since engine shut-down, the lower these control surfaces would sag...as for the flaps: both the leading edge and trailing edge flaps worked in unison. Normal operations had them "up" and locked at engine shut-down, and they did not bleed down/sag over time, like the speed brakes and ailerons. So unless there was a deliberate reason, such as maintenance or static display, the leading edge and trailing edge flaps would normally be fully-up/closed on a parked, operational Phantom. HTH!

Edited by cmayer

9 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Anthony,

You are right, it would cool, even though it would entail extra work. Personally, for me, I would want mine to look normal and 'typical', so I would  e searching images to see how they normally are. However, if this was normal and typical for XV571 (and not just for display effect), then happy days! (Of course, it is your model to do with as you wish, so go for it if you want and have some fun!).

Derek 

Hmmmm, yeah that flap down configuration was not normal for everyday operational purposes.  Cool but not typical.  Maybe I will just lift the spoilers on one wing a little.  You see that a lot more often.....

Decisions decisions....

6 hours ago, cmayer said:

Under "normal," i.e., not "maintenance" circumstances, a parked Phantom had all flight controls neutral at engine shut-down (although the stabs would often be angled front edge-up/aft edge-down a few degrees, and rarely perfectly level). After engine shut-down, the speed brakes under the wings and the ailerons would start to gradually bleed "down" from the closed/neutral position. So, the longer the period since engine shut-down, the lower these control surfaces would sag...as for the flaps: both the leading edge and trailing edge flaps worked in unison. Normal operations had them "up" and locked at engine shut-down, and they did not bleed down/sag over time, like the speed brakes and ailerons. So unless there was a deliberate reason, such as maintenance or static display, the leading edge and trailing edge flaps would normally be fully-up/closed on a parked, operational Phantom. HTH!

Yup, that sure does help...

I think 'operational' and flaps up will be the way I end up going.  Often you see a wing spoiler slightly up on one side more. Maybe I'll do that instead as that appears more common

Thanks so much for your feedback and expertise.  I think, 'flaps up'

Cheers Anthony

On 1/17/2023 at 7:35 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

So not a lot to report except hours of refining the shapes and starting to reinstate panel lines and fasteners.  All a bit tedious and not a lot to show I am afraid, but you might be interested

BMvC8F.jpg

h9H6oP.jpg

There are some tricky shapes around here I still need to sort

R4TRIT.jpg

Whaddya reckon?  Starting to look like a Brit Spey engined Phantom now??

ksuNw5.jpg

Cheers Anthony....heading back to the tediousness of the surface (but I am enjoying it!)

This has been a JOY to follow!  Closing in on 100 pages on this Forum presentation.  

3 hours ago, amurray said:

This has been a JOY to follow!  Closing in on 100 pages on this Forum presentation.  

Sheeesh 100 pages...I better hurry up!

Thanks mate I REALLY appreciate it!

4 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

I've been going through a rough couple of weeks personally and it does me a world of good to see this - she looks fantastic, Anthony, bravo!!

Awww mate I am sorry to hear that.  Drop me a line anytime if you want to talk

Does this help just a little???  Taken forever to get it looking this smooth and the pic highlights a few more areas to tidy up

ALXiFo.jpg

Cheers Anthony

I have to agree with Kev, the profile of that nose is just magnificent!

I have very little interest in jets in general, the Lightning being the exception (be still my beating heart), but the look of your Phantom as it’s emerging is really getting me quite excited! As a result of Boch’s thread about 43 Squadron Spitfires, I joined the 43 Squadron Fb Group which, not surprisingly comprises ex-members of the squadron. There are some super Phantom photos there that they’ve taken at various times, equally stirring the interest. But until a Brit Phantom is available it remains a pipe dream. 

On 1/28/2023 at 3:50 AM, jimbo59 said:

Your updates are my favorite 

Awww thanks buddy!  I appreciate you hanging in here with me...its been a journey!

On 1/28/2023 at 10:17 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

That nose profile reeks of unmitigated accuracy. Well done, Anthony!

Kev

Thanks Kev!  I have to say there has been many many an hour figuring out how to get it corrected.  But the minute I knew how to approach it it didnt take too long to actually do.  I was really surprised at the difference it made.

Watch this space, there might be a simple nose correction 'cut and glue' section become available. Lots of people have contacted me asking if I could do one....it might be too many to ignore!

On 1/29/2023 at 6:39 AM, mozart said:

I have to agree with Kev, the profile of that nose is just magnificent!

I have very little interest in jets in general, the Lightning being the exception (be still my beating heart), but the look of your Phantom as it’s emerging is really getting me quite excited! As a result of Boch’s thread about 43 Squadron Spitfires, I joined the 43 Squadron Fb Group which, not surprisingly comprises ex-members of the squadron. There are some super Phantom photos there that they’ve taken at various times, equally stirring the interest. But until a Brit Phantom is available it remains a pipe dream. 

Max, that sure is nice of you buddy, coming from a man of such detail and accuracy!  I might have to track down that page myself, thanks.

Hmmmm the calls are growing loud for a big Brit Toom, I still cant believe one hasnt come out.  I am curious to see if RPM's one is a J(UK) or a completely remodelled Spey bird.  I have heard poss a 'J' which would be a shame.

23 hours ago, TankBuster said:

I'm amazed at how you get it looking so smooth and nice. Cheers.

Thank you! Nothing to be amazed at.  Just good lighting, CA glue, sanding sponges, Mr Surfacer 1200 and 0000 steel wool for polishing. HTH

21 hours ago, Derek B said:

ALXiFo.jpg

Perfection!

Derek 

Awwww thanks Derek!  That simple mod made the world of difference didnt it?

21 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

And a great side-shot to use a reference, too! :)

Thats why I did it....I am glad you noticed!

However as I mentioned above there might be a simple nose correction set come out if I can sort myself out.  There have been too many messages and emails to ignore!

I'm going to do an update shortly as I found an interesting conundrum under the nose.  

I just wanted to post a thank you to all of you who liked and commented, it means a huge amount to me as some days I really struggle.

Cheers Anthony